It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire: Food Stamps For............GUNS!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Wow the holier than thou attitude here is just sickening. I myself have never been on ebt but have known people that have. Sure spending ebt $$ on booze etc should be not allowed but to not let someone hunt for their own food instead of go to the grocery store to buy over priced crappy meat? I just don't get it. Pound for pound the person is gonna get more food for the money if hunted than store bought. And you people claim your all worried about people wasting $$, sounds to me like many of you have a god complex and should spend a little more time looking in the mirror. I really hope you folks don't find yourself in the shoes of these lowlife ebt people some day. I am gonna stop now before I violate t/c and lose my temper...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel
I suppose you are talking about my post in general.
I have been on food stamps.
I hunt.
I can tell you now that the time you spend in the woods trying to catch dinner would be better spent looking for a job or extra work.
Can you hunt, kill and eat your own food......yes.
But there is a small point many are missing.
Many of those on food stamps don't live in rural areas.
What are you proposing, they go hunting in the park? In the subdivision? On the street?
Government assistance is addictive.
It's like a drug.
Once you're on it you have to work really hard to get off.
I mean who couldn't use a few extra hundred a month to pay for food. Especially in today's economy.
But this should only be used for food IMHO.
It has come to the point that a lot of People out there have come to see government assistance as *free money*.
It's not. It comes at a cost.

ETA: I gave you a free star so maybe you won't lose your temper

edit on 9-5-2014 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: windword
Windword!
Are you saying that they should not get paid in cash as well?
Really?
I have truly entered the Twilight Zone.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

On May 7th 2014 New Hampshire Representative Timothy Horrigan (D-Durham) stood on the state house floor and argued against legislation forbidding the use of EBT cards for guns, saying such a ban “is a blatant violation of the Second Amendment.”

New Hampshire has always been a State that makes me proud to say "I am an American" (which, unfortunately, I am not proud to be). New Hampshire has produced one of the greatest Representatives this country has seen -- Daniel Webster -- and it seems that Timothy Horrigan is on his way up there.

The Constitution of New Hampshire is one of the few that makes it clear --We the People do have a Constitutional right to a Revolution. The State of Texas did not have the right to interfere with Waco, but it is still a sad reflection that the government cannot recognize what they have a right to do and not to do... In any event, I am glad that the State of New Hampshire has kept it cleared about the Declaration of Independence was fought over.

God bless the People of New Hampshire.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium

Many of those on food stamps don't live in rural areas.

We're talking about NH in this instance, right?

Sure there are a lot of welfare recipients in cities like Manchester and Nashua but there are also a ton up in the North Country, Pittsburg and Berlin, where there arent any jobs to be had that are nothing but empty towns surrounded by wilderness.

To add to this I'm a relatively populated area of NH and it's still a 45 minute drive to a supermarket. Once you get up past the Whites folks live an hours drive or more from any sort of commercial or shopping are.

You can bag a couple of squirrels in less time than it takes to get to the store never mind the round trip and the cost of fuel. Assuming you even have a car to drive at all.
edit on 9-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

How and why should they be able to use funds, derived by others paying taxes, to buy a weapon?

A car is a weapon, a brick, a frying pan. In their hood only gangsters and cops have guns. They are the victims there, and they can't afford firearms like you.

If you lived there with your kids you might experience a drive by or gang banging. You'd have trouble finding work there though so you couldn't afford guns. Imagine working a few bus stops away and leaving your children and wife at home, unprotected?

I'm obviously not saying you should do this, just maybe try and see it from their viewpoint. They can't often times afford to feed themselves and its not for lack of trying. Go sit there at a bus stop. Walk home at night from your minimum wage job in the city. Then tell me about protection and guarding your loved ones from harm.

They don't come to your hood and tell you you can't protect you and yours with a gun, why would you deny them the same right, however they come by it?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Not to mention ironic.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

How and why should they be able to use funds, derived by others paying taxes, to buy a weapon?

A car is a weapon, a brick, a frying pan. In their hood only gangsters and cops have guns. They are the victims there, and they can't afford firearms like you.

so you're saying that they should be able to use the Ebt to buy cars, bricks and frying pans??
In the situation you are describing I do not see them as victims, I will get to why in a moment.

If you lived there with your kids you might experience a drive by or gang banging. You'd have trouble finding work there though so you couldn't afford guns. Imagine working a few bus stops away and leaving your children and wife at home, unprotected?

I would NOT be living there with my kids.
If there is no work there then go to where the work is.
I would not leave my wife and kids alone in such a neighborhood because none of us would be there.
This is why I do not believe that People who live this way are victims. Unless you mean victims of government.

I'm obviously not saying you should do this, just maybe try and see it from their viewpoint. They can't often times afford to feed themselves and its not for lack of trying. Go sit there at a bus stop. Walk home at night from your minimum wage job in the city. Then tell me about protection and guarding your loved ones from harm.

I came up hard in a bad area. We were dirt poor and I made the choice to get out. I MADE THE CHOICE.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you think it will be, it's better to cut your loses and run.

They don't come to your hood and tell you you can't protect you and yours with a gun, why would you deny them the same right, however they come by it?

I am not "denying" them anything. They can have what ever they want. But if it were me, I think I would buy a one way bus ticket instead of worrying about a gun.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
a reply to: windword
Windword!
Are you saying that they should not get paid in cash as well?
Really?
I have truly entered the Twilight Zone.

No, I never said that "they" should not receive cash. I'm asking whose going to monitor and assess their cash spending? If a family receives EBT money and has money from another source, whose going to discern how which monies are spent?

For example, I was injured on the job a few years ago, and was awarded unemployment/disability insurance payments biweekly, through an EBT card. I also had personal savings. If I purchased beer or cigarettes, who is going to sort out what money paid for what?

edit on 9-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I am all for the food stamp program, nobody should go hungry in our country in modern society. It wouldn't even be a problem if we didn't send food to other countries all over the world, but that's another debate.
In turn I agree, I am very much against the other part of this social service program though. This cash-card welfare offshoot gets abused almost entirely by every person on it. Social services should set up a store 'in house' and offer items like diapers, wipes, toilet paper and things like that to the people on the food stamp program. Tossing money at them does not solve a problem, it creates another.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

this is really stupid....people shouldn't be able to use SNAP or welfare benefits to buy guns...that's not what they're for...

i'm all for gun ownership, and i think it's great, but SNAP/welfare is for life essentials....food, clothing, housing, power, light, heat, etc....there MUST be restrictions, otherwise, it becomes a no strings attached government paycheck, for doing absolutely jack s**t...

there should be MORE restrictions on SNAP benefits, not less...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Thank you!
I agree whole heartily.

a reply to: AnteBellum

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus
WOOOOHOOO!
I AM BACK!
I crossed over and made it back safely.
I was really getting worried there for a bit. Thought I had lost all touch with reality.
Thank you for your voice of reason!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I suppose supplying meat on the table is the idea of food stamps. It will also reduce the number of people in society, You can't be discriminating against a cannibal. They can't just go to the market and buy their meat, they need to hunt it.
I know, I am sick.

Yep, give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. But give him a fishing pole and he will sell it for some crack.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This quote from the proposed law....

“Any person who receives public assistance is prohibited from using an EBT card or cash obtained with an EBT card to gamble or to purchase tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, lottery tickets, firearms, or adult entertainment.”

I would agree that using "welfare" cash to buy guns or anything "illegal" could be a problem.

But as we are seeing more and more with laws, it's hard to enforce because many laws conflict with other laws as well as "moralities".

It gets impossible to figure it out.

In this case, how do they propose to identify "cash" ?

Or how do they place an I.D. on a person who gets any kind of welfare ?

Many people actually get assistance and work part time also.

Too complicated.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock
I was trying to think of something witty to say...........
I got nothing.
good job

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

it is complicated...

what should happen is the benefits on the card should stay on the card...meaning, you can't use the EBT card to get cash....

this way, if you have cash, you've likely gotten it from selling something, or as payment for work.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DaedalusI don't think its complicated at all.
The second part of you post is exactly the way it SHOULD be.

Eta: I think I see what you're saying. It the government who has made it complicated with the over abundance of laws.
Correct?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

It could be argued that someone who has already allowed themselves to fall under government assistance has already fallen under government tyranny. Allowing them to buy firearms with it is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse is already well out and over the horizon.

In any case, food stamps are for food. And the only way you can convince me that a gun is edible is if we are talking about a Poptart nibbled in the shape of a gun. It was dangerous enough to get a kid suspended. It ought to work for the fine folks of New Hampshire EBT.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

something like that.....

simply put, benefits go to EBT, EBT can't be used to get cash.

benefits on EBT card are use-restricted to approved items only.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join