It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire: Food Stamps For............GUNS!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I did a search but did not see this (I was surprised!).

In the link you will see a video but here is a little teaser for you.

On May 7th 2014 New Hampshire Representative Timothy Horrigan (D-Durham) stood on the state house floor and argued against legislation forbidding the use of EBT cards for guns, saying such a ban “is a blatant violation of the Second Amendment.”The legislation–SB203–says:“Any person who receives public assistance is prohibited from using an EBT card or cash obtained with an EBT card to gamble or to purchase tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, lottery tickets, firearms, or adult entertainment.”SB203 also prohibits using “an EBT card or cash obtained with an EBT card” for “Tattoos and Body Piercing.

”Read more: www.ammoland.com...

So here we have a Democrat Representative arguing that people should be able to buy guns with their EBT/Snap/Food Stamps.
So ATS, how do you feel about people using their food stamps to buy guns?
In my opinion it's wrong........on many levels.
Quad
edit on 9-5-2014 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

It's actually not food stamps it's assistance EBT has two parts: food stamps used for food only and cash which can be used for anything.

I see where this is going and I will say he is probably arguing for the second amendment aspects to this. But I would have to agree in almost all cases buying guns with state cash assistance should not be allowed, just like gambling and the rest. But I bet there are some exceptions when it would be necessary or even required, such as in the security industry.
edit on 5/9/2014 by AnteBellum because: add

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The use of assistance to buy the weapons to bring down the Oligarchy seems quite appropriate in my humble opine....

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Simple Peasants owning guns? Why, thats absurd!

Next thing you know they'll be defending themselves!
edit on 9-5-2014 by intrptr because: changed

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Why not? Guns are very nutritious being very high in iron and copper.
Plus what if somebody used the gun to go hunting to feed his family?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Banning use of public assistance funds to buy guns is not a violation of the second amendment--you have the right to own guns, but you do not have the right to have someone else pay for those guns.

There should be no assistance cards IMHO, or, if they do have them, purchases should be restricted to necessities only.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

I do agree with the second part. Can EBT also be used for hunting permits I wonder? Totally for it if it is for for rifles and ammo. Handguns only have one purpose and should not be publicly funded. (Although if you live in the backwoods a handgun is necessary to take out the trash to scare grizzly bears...my uncle carries one in Wyoming for that reason).

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Or maybe defend his family if someone comes around looking to take the stuff he bought with the rest of his cash/food assistance.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Oh...my....word. lol
I feel like I have fallen into the Twilight Zone.
This is not the reaction I was expecting.

I am all for the second amendment.
Actually I have said before that many people do not fully comprehend why it was written.
It was written, in part, to ensure that We the People did not fall victim to an overreaching and tyrannical Government.
We, under the second amendment, should be as well armed as our Government.
Of course we can not afford the same type of weaponry as our goverment
BUT we should be able to have any and all arms we can afford.
AS WE CAN AFFORD.
Not as others can afford to buy for us.
Quad
edit on 9-5-2014 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

It reminds me of Putin announcing his stances on homosexuality. It confused many western conservatives because they were raised to hate "commie Russia" and this made their leader endearing to them.

If a certain thing that conservatives hate (food stamps) can be used to purchase something conservatives love (guns), it would once again give western conservatives a dilemma on their hate radar. Throw the constitution into the mix and we have ourselves a real party splitter.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Simple Peasants owning guns? Why, thats absurd!

Next thing you know they'll be defending themselves!

Huh? If those "simple pesants", as you call them, want a gun let them buy it themselves!
How and why should they be able to use funds, derived by others paying taxes, to buy a weapon?

I work hard for all that I have. I am the father of Three teenage boys and my wife is a stay at home mom (mostly due to health issues).
If ever I want anything "extra" I do two things:
1) I make sure there is not anything my wife and boys want or need because they come before me.
2) I work over time, pick up cans, sell something I don't need or ask around for odd jobs.
When I have the money I buy that little something extra, and perhaps a set of lazer sights as well

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is too funny.

I dislike these assistance programs however I've always argued in favor of easing access to guns for the poor. Poor people don't generally live in the best neighborhoods are due to a lack of means they are easy prey for criminals and things like permits, classes, taxes, and the generally high prices of quality firearms effectively prohibit or limit the poor from having lawful access to firearms.

Having said that, NH doesnt have any of these restrictions. No $200/8 hour class is required. The permit fee (which you dont even need since NH is an open carry state) is only $10 so in the case of NH there is no artificially state imposed burden on the poor to restrict their lawful access o firearms save the firearm itself.

In the case of hunting an inexpensive .22 rifle and a brick of ammo (if you can find it) can theoretically get you 1,500 pounds of meat assuming an average squirrel weighs 3 pounds and 500 rounds per brick so taking the math to the extreme end you've got $200 rifle + $40 ammo plus $22 hunting license = 1,500 pounds of meat @ 18 cents a pound.

I know there is a popular aversion to eating squirrel but seriously folks need to get over it. It's good and it's cheap and it's good for you.

So in that case it would actually be cost beneficial to let them buy guns and ammo with their EBT. Maybe even grant them a reduced cost or no cost hunting license.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
Oh...my....word. lol
I feel like I have fallen into the Twilight Zone.
This is not the reaction I was expecting.

I am all for the second amendment.
Actually I have said before that many people do not fully comprehend why it was written.
It was written, in part, to ensure that We the People did not fall victim to an overreaching and tyrannical Government.
We, under the second amendment, should be as well armed as our Government.
Of course we can not afford the same type of weaponry as our goverment
BUT we should be able to have any and all arms we can afford.
AS WE CAN AFFORD.
Not as others can afford to buy for us.
Quad

You did read my response, right?
A rifle and some ammo would provide protein. Especially in rural areas. Just no handguns that are mainly mankilling stick up weapons. Should people be buying something more productive? Yes. But I think my idea is a decent compromise. Most people will not go out and buy a rifle.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Funny you should mention the "cash for anything" part.
That is something else that just tans my hide!
WHY? why should someone be able to use their EBT card like a debit card?
It opens the door to a whole host of problems.
Sure, they are "supposed" to use the cash for those needed items not covered with food stamps.
How much of it goes towards illegal drugs, alcohol and cigarettes though?
Our government has really screwed the pooch on the whole food stamp thing.
I went by Sonic (fast food joint) the other day and once I made my order the flowing pops up on the card reader display:
"You may now swipe your EPT card."
Again, I have to ask WHY?!
Why in the hell should you be able to buy fast food with food stamps?
We are all screwed!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
This is too funny.

I dislike these assistance programs however I've always argued in favor of easing access to guns for the poor. Poor people don't generally live in the best neighborhoods are due to a lack of means they are easy prey for criminals and things like permits, classes, taxes, and the generally high prices of quality firearms effectively prohibit or limit the poor from having lawful access to firearms.

Having said that, NH doesnt have any of these restrictions. No $200/8 hour class is required. The permit fee (which you dont even need since NH is an open carry state) is only $10 so in the case of NH there is no artificially state imposed burden on the poor to restrict their lawful access o firearms save the firearm itself.

In the case of hunting an inexpensive .22 rifle and a brick of ammo (if you can find it) can theoretically get you 1,500 pounds of meat assuming an average squirrel weighs 3 pounds and 500 rounds per brick so taking the math to the extreme end you've got $200 rifle + $40 ammo plus $22 hunting license = 1,500 pounds of meat @ 18 cents a pound.

I know there is a popular aversion to eating squirrel but seriously folks need to get over it. It's good and it's cheap and it's good for you.

So in that case it would actually be cost beneficial to let them buy guns and ammo with their EBT. Maybe even grant them a reduced cost or no cost hunting license.

Everyone should get the discounted/free licence then...
Just because someone is poor, a veteran, or etc. We are all equal. Some groups are given preferential treatment to the detriment of others.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I suppose supplying meat on the table is the idea of food stamps. It will also reduce the number of people in society, You can't be discriminating against a cannibal. They can't just go to the market and buy their meat, they need to hunt it.
I know, I am sick.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Everyone should get the discounted/free licence then...
Just because someone is poor, a veteran, or etc. We are all equal. Some groups are given preferential treatment to the detriment of others.

Sure, I can get on board with that.

Why not get rid of the license altogether?
Every kid in public school can get the free lunch.
Everybody will get the "senior" reduced property tax rate.
Everybody will get heating oil assistance.

It would be a nice start to ending overspending and inflation.

Doubtful any significant numbers would get behind such a movement though. Everybody loves their little special groups and privileges.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Yes, I read it.
This entire thing just does not sit well with me.
If you have an EBT card, you should be buying food.
It seems to me that, in a sane world, if you are on EBT the only hunting you should be doing is...
FOR A JOB!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere
I was reading your post and felt a little giddy.
Finally a little sanity...........I thought to myself.
But it fell short, would you mind terribly much deleting that last paragraph or so?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

SB203–says:“Any person who receives public assistance is prohibited from using an EBT card or cash obtained with an EBT card to gamble or to purchase tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, lottery tickets, firearms, or adult entertainment.”SB203 also prohibits using “an EBT card or cash obtained with an EBT card” for “Tattoos and Body Piercing. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

What I want to know is who is going to follow EBT recipients around to see where they spend what monies? If an EBT recipient takes $5 that granny sent for a birthday gift to buy a lottery ticket that wins, will the government take that money away? What if they choose to spend that $5 bucks on beer, how will the person, assigned to following that recipient's cash spending, discern what money paid for what?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join