It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Hamas Leader: Attacks on Israelis to Stop - Will Also Consider A Truce With Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
A senior member of the terrorist group Hamas has stated that they are ceasing attacks on Israel while the Palestinians prepare for elections. In an even more stunning revelation, Sheik Hassan Yousef, the top Hamas leader in the West bank, said the group would consider a truce with Israel. Hamas has waged a campaign of suicide bombings against Israel killing hundreds.

story.news.yahoo.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank - A senior Hamas leader indicated Monday that the militant group is halting attacks on Israelis while the Palestinians prepare to choose a new leader, the latest sign of change following the death of Yasser Arafat.

Sheik Hassan Yousef, the group's top leader in the West Bank, said Hamas also would consider a formal truce with Israel. Hamas has carried out dozens of suicide bombings and other attacks, killing hundreds of Israelis during four years of fighting.

Since Arafat's death Nov. 11, there has been a sharp drop in violence. The Palestinians have turned their attention to Jan. 9 presidential elections, while Israel has curtailed its military activity and made a series of gestures meant to ensure that the vote goes smoothly.

"In the current situation, many political and militant groups have halted their attacks. They are waiting and exploring the new era," said Yousef, who was recently released from an Israeli prison after serving a 28-month sentence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really may be the start of something. If Sharons government can stay intact or even be replaced by a more progressive leader like Barak, there is a real change for the peace process to get back on track. To hear a Hamas leader even discuss a possibility of a truce is stunning. There has not been an official response from Israel on this matter and no doubt it will not be easy to negotiate one, but I hope that they can have a go at it.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Arafat dies and the beginnings of peace are appearing in the Gaza strip. Arafat was the grandfather of all terrorist, and I am glad he is out of the way so these people can start moving on with thier lives. These people need peace in a real bad way. Hopefully, this truce goes through, and the peace last, atleast for a while.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Hopefully, this truce goes through, and the peace last, atleast for a while.

There are alot of variable factors esp. if Sharons govenment collapses and you get a right wing yahoo like Netanyahu in power all bets will be off. Likewise, no doubt there are elements in Hamas that have no vested interst in peace.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   

his really may be the start of something. If Sharons government can stay intact or even be replaced by a more progressive leader like Barak, there is a real change for the peace process to get back on track.

I hope you are right FredT - peace between Israel and Palestina would definitely improve global security. I'm afraid we are not getting the whole truth here, somehow. (Another news conspiracy ?)

Jerusalem Post:

However, a truce with Israel, Yusef said, would be dependant on an end of the Israeli occupation of the territories, release of security prisoners and "elimination of Israeli violence." When asked which borders "occupation" was referring to, he said the borders of 1967, not 1948.
Yusef also called on the United States and the international community to reconsider their definition of Hamas a "terror organization."

This looks more like "political chess game" to me, rather than the honest peace talks.
From the other side - was there time ever, when politics were honest?

[edit on 29-11-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If they really have these intentions then we might actually begin to see peace in what has been a never ending conflict. Let us just hope that the Hamas will be true to their word and that Israel is willing to sit down for negotiations. I have no doubt that both the Israeli and Palestinian citizens are tired of all the fighting.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Israeli politicians have for decades been known to severely criticise their own government's heavy-handed approach to Palestine.

Take for example when the Israeli Justice Minister Yosef Lapid told the Prime minister Arial Sharon that He compared a television image with his personal experience of the Holocaust.

Quote:"I saw on television an old woman picking through the rubble of her house in Rafah, looking for her medicine.

"She reminded me of my grandmother who was expelled from her home during the Holocaust," political sources quoted him as saying.

Lapid's grandmother died in the gas chambers at Auschwitz death camp..

Then my favourite comment by Shrilamut Aroni,former cabinet minister;...
Quote:"We're told all the time the Palestinians want to throw us into the sea. We have six million people in the strongest Army in the region yet we speak of them as if they were two equal powers. It's just manipulating people's fears"

Now;is there any chance to compare Hammas with Mossad..?? NO...

Hammas is a 'Not so organized org.as we make it out to be, It uses Martyrs and a rather primmitive approach,'Compared' to the highly advanced counterterrorism techniques of Mossad...(which STILL causes 'collateral damage'!!???
This issue needs to be resolved...Yesterday !!!
If We expect any stability to come to the Region....Palestine & Israel is where it begins...We should noy start lookig for conspiracies in what could turn out to be a START for PEACE....We should Support It..and grasp them opportunity..

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Take a ride in the way-back machine with me, Sherman.

same crap, different day.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Take a ride in the way-back machine with me, Sherman.
same crap, different day.

Maybe so, but at some point it has to work of fail so totaly both side go to all out war. For myself Im hoping its the former. The conditions are somewhat canged with the death of Arafat.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I was going to ask if Al Aqsa had made a statement yet, but I found it in your link Fred.

The Palestinians acknowledge privately that many members of the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, a violent group with ties to the ruling Fatah (news - web sites) movement, are members of the security forces who have not reported to their jobs during the past four years of fighting.

Ala'a Sanakra, an Al Aqsa leader in the West Bank city of Nablus, said the group is also considering a truce.

"We are watching the changes after Arafat's death. We haven't announced a truce from our side but we are exploring the future. If there is a real truce on the table, we will agree to it," he said.

I didn't expect Al Aqsa to be so willing to sign on to a truce brokered by Hamas. Honestly I figured there would be a power struggle between the two groups. The statement by Al Aqsa does give one hope that peace is a possibility.

I guess now it's up to the Israelis.

B.

[edit on 11/30/04 by Bleys]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys

I guess now it's up to the Israelis.
[edit on 11/30/04 by Bleys]

Actually Bleys, I think its going to be up to the world to put pressure on Both sides. Thats the opnly way it will work. if left to thier own devices, they will just go back to killing each other

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
While this would be a great step, and a bold one by Palestinians, one which i and others would welcome....
i'll believe it when i see it.....

I think this leader just got a bullseye painted on him by those radical palestinians that seem to only see conflict as a way to get what they want.

This is something those radicals should consider tho....a cease fire and HONEST attempt at getting the palestinian state organized and productive....
What do they have to lose by focusing energies onto building up palestine, instead of thinking about how to kill israel?
They can always revert back to old, violent ways.

IF the palestinians of all political varieties could pull this off and show some peaceful progress, I as an American would welcome it, would then be more open minded to "israeli restraint" policies,
AND
most importantly
Think of palestine with some respect instead of a lawless place where only violence results....

IF palestinians could just forget israel for now....and focus on making palestine a place that is good for its people, and attractive to business and other positive peaceful growth
A working state of palestine right next to israel would drive the israelies nuts....and would show the world that muslim/arabs can create, not just destroy...that they can be a proud nation DESPITE their neighbors that they have clashed with for too long.
I'd say this would outshine israel, and garner a great ammount of respect from many.
But this has to be for the long haul or you'll still be percieved as a place full of radicals that cant seem to get their act together.

Become a peaceful and growing nation just to SPITE israel....
to rub their face in the "you'll never get it together" mentality.
Just prove them wrong and palestine would steal lots of thunder from israel.

top topics

join