It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US voices 'concerns' at sale of French warships to Russia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
War is war....................but biz is biz.....the twain shall never meet....

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Actually the French raised concern first about not following through with the sales to Russia and NOT the US this has been ongoing for months

Awwwwwww... Boo hoo... Diddums... just because the US Gvt (not the people) can't sell boats to Russia during the ongoing actual conflict... they have to keep on using their usual tactic of bullying the world... and now including allies???

It has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with jealousy of the sales which is laughable, but instead is more to do with NATO reassessing its relationship with Russia and reclassifying her recently as an enemy instead of friend to which these deal where aloud to go ahead

Amazing how wild claims with absolutely no research or clue behind them end up being a anti US hate thread

This has nothing to do with the US being a hypocrite and telling who to buy or sell what, it's a security issue and NATO matter

US Gvt... STOP TRYING TO TRAMPLE THE REST OF THE WORLD DOWN AND LOOK AFTER YOUR OWN CITIZENS FIRST... The quagmire you have created over there needs to be fixed first without tampering with the rest of world peace...

The company's provide hundreds of thousands of jobs, "for the people" and who is the US trampling over people all countries have there own company's doing the same so rant you. Eying massively hypocritical ?

Whose second largest arms exporter in the world ?

Erm... Russia ?

edit on 9-5-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus
Ooooooooo just noticed... the USA haven't sold any boats yet up until 2008 according to the statictics listed below from the same source as above :

The US doesn't sell its newer large warships. The only ones similar to a US warship are the Japanese Aegis ships, which are license built in Japan. They sell systems from them, such as the SPY-1 radar, but they generally don't sell the entire ship, unless it's a retiring/retired hull. Most countries that can spend the money aren't going to buy a 30+ year old hull, when they can get something newer, that will last as long for slightly more.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Ooooooooo just noticed... the USA haven't sold any boats yet up until 2008 according to the statictics listed below from the same source as above :

The US doesn't sell its newer large warships. The only ones similar to a US warship are the Japanese Aegis ships, which are license built in Japan. They sell systems from them, such as the SPY-1 radar, but they generally don't sell the entire ship, unless it's a retiring/retired hull. Most countries that can spend the money aren't going to buy a 30+ year old hull, when they can get something newer, that will last as long for slightly more.

What about India and China they've both purchased old British and soviet carriers

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
bankers make more in a day of war then a year of peace
guess we are back to "freedomfries" again
though I wouldn't be surprised to see the modern incarnation of Donald Rumsfeld on the board of whatever company makes or sells these types of things
and also I wonder who owns the profits and bribes on deals like this

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

The point of my post was directed at the "oooooooo the US hasn't sold any boats since 2008", not about what other countries do. Russia has sold ships to a lot of people, who like them because they're cheap, and robust. The US ships are good ones, but a lot of the Russian ships are either newer, or had less wear and tear on them, because they were ported for awhile due to lack of money.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I think my only boggle here is....isn't the EU a little upset with Russia over Ukraine right at the moment?

Isn't France a member of that same EU?

Shouldn't EU members refrain from selling warships to the nation the rest of the EU is down on and actively talking about further actions against?

Kinda seems...counter-productive, isn't it?

If that wasn't all going on..heck.. France can sell boats to Tonga if it makes 'em happy. To each their own rights of export.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Actually the French raised concern first about not following through with the sales to Russia and NOT the US this has been ongoing for months

Awwwwwww... Boo hoo... Diddums... just because the US Gvt (not the people) can't sell boats to Russia during the ongoing actual conflict... they have to keep on using their usual tactic of bullying the world... and now including allies???

It has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with jealousy of the sales which is laughable, but instead is more to do with NATO reassessing its relationship with Russia and reclassifying her recently as an enemy instead of friend to which these deal where aloud to go ahead

Amazing how wild claims with absolutely no research or clue behind them end up being a anti US hate thread

This has nothing to do with the US being a hypocrite and telling who to buy or sell what, it's a security issue and NATO matter

US Gvt... STOP TRYING TO TRAMPLE THE REST OF THE WORLD DOWN AND LOOK AFTER YOUR OWN CITIZENS FIRST... The quagmire you have created over there needs to be fixed first without tampering with the rest of world peace...

The company's provide hundreds of thousands of jobs, "for the people" and who is the US trampling over people all countries have there own company's doing the same so rant you. Eying massively hypocritical ?

Erm... Russia ?

Thanks for your opinion Triton.

Could you elaborate please with links to sources about this statement about France? I think that what I wrote was very clear and related to the news items I linked, not about another ongoing situation.

Sorry about the wild claims... I believe I linked quite a few news items... but if you consider those links not to be reliable then that is your opinion... And so sorry if you feel that this thread is an anti US hate thread... that is your opinion too and it is respected.

Could you please elaborate on your following comment : "Amazing how wild claims with absolutely no research or clue behind them end up being a anti US hate thread"...

Wild claims you say??? I posted exactly what I read and understood (sorry if I come across to you as an uneducated thicko) and said nothing anti US (Oh sorry, I lied, yes I did... targeted against the Gvt that you have over there.)

And... your last comment... well, that is a job market that won't see any problems isn't it... what about the other humongous amount of people without jobs?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thanks Zaph,

Is this a choice that the US do not sell ships and only sell "conventional" weapons so to speak?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
I think my only boggle here is....isn't the EU a little upset with Russia over Ukraine right at the moment?

Isn't France a member of that same EU?

Shouldn't EU members refrain from selling warships to the nation the rest of the EU is down on and actively talking about further actions against?

Kinda seems...counter-productive, isn't it?

If that wasn't all going on..heck.. France can sell boats to Tonga if it makes 'em happy. To each their own rights of export.

You are not the only one boggled Wrabbit...

Even us Europeans (citizens) are boggled about the whole thing...

But... arms trading is arms trading I guess...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
globalnews.ca...

"NDP questions Canada’s $80,000 arms sales during Yanukovych regime"

hey common now,, just cause were the new ass hole s on the block,, dont forget us

oh canada, we used too be Peace Keepers,, sighhh.

gotta keep up with the times i guess.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Unless they do like with Japan, and license build them, then building them for other countries ties up shipyards that the Navy can use for maintenance and refit, and other uses that they need. There are only so many US shipyards that are qualified for work with the Navy, and they are still building Burke class destroyers, the LCS ships, the new Ford carriers, and that's just the new builds they have going on. That doesn't include refueling/refit for the carriers, general maintenance on the smaller hulls, emergency repairs, etc. The shipyards stay pretty busy with just US needs.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Unless they do like with Japan, and license build them, then building them for other countries ties up shipyards that the Navy can use for maintenance and refit, and other uses that they need. There are only so many US shipyards that are qualified for work with the Navy, and they are still building Burke class destroyers, the LCS ships, the new Ford carriers, and that's just the new builds they have going on. That doesn't include refueling/refit for the carriers, general maintenance on the smaller hulls, emergency repairs, etc. The shipyards stay pretty busy with just US needs.

Sheesh...

Imagine the employment that could be created in your neck of the woods if the US were to export directly from home to the rest of the world instead of license building (I am correct in understanding that you mean sub contracting to japan?)

Right, have to take some quality time out with the Rodinus family before I get nagged to death...

Looking forward to reading up on the thread when I get back on Sunday.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
globalnews.ca...

"NDP questions Canada’s $80,000 arms sales during Yanukovych regime"

hey common now,, just cause were the new ass hole s on the block,, dont forget us

oh canada, we used too be Peace Keepers,, sighhh.

gotta keep up with the times i guess.

Yes Bob...

But we know that you guys are slowly poisoning us all with your Maple syrup... now THAT is a WMD...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The Kongo, and Atago class destroyers were all built in Japan by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and IHI. They're based on US Aegis systems, and the Arleigh Burke hulls. They have also been modified to fire the SM-3 antiballistic missile system. The Kongo uses the AN/SPY-1 radar, and the Atago uses the AN/SPY-1D(V) radar.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

Erm... Russia ?

No! Russia are not second. They are first.

www.mapsofworld.com...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Nope, Ive never been to France. It was my second choice of a country though, had I left America when I planned too.

The comment about them stinking and talking funny was more or less a stab at humor, although I'll agree it was in poor taste.
As another member already mentioned, France bailed America out with it's fleet of Ships, so we are naturally indebted to the French. I know medieval France was a heroic nation. But if you need proof of cowardice, I can provide it :

The best example i can think of is WW2 , the french laid their arms down to the germans and their so called 'defence' of france lasted 3 days , I find that shocking , as battles are fought for weeks often , but a whole country the size of france was occupied in 3 days ! the only reason it took 3 days not less was because it probably took the germans 3 days to walk through france.

ETA: Here's 30,000 troop desertions in WW1, I guess we can blame the people.

en.wikipedia.org...

However, I will take your advice, and blame their commanders, not the people.

What shocks me is you say my posting history has a "distain for foreigners and cultures outside of your own blinkered and sheltered circle..."

I don't consider myself racist, and I happen to enjoy multiple cultures. I have a passionate distaste for Israel, If that's what you're referring to.

I like how you end your reply with 'Kindest Respects"

Maybe you don't understand that Russia is becoming an enemy of not only the US, but Europe as well? Anyone selling weapons to our enemies is NOT our friend. Enjoy your friendship with Russia, hope that works out well for you.

edit on 5 9 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Seems some are a little behind the curve on this, not least for only noticing now a deal done years ago, but also the fact the deal may well end up being cancelled.

If the 3rd phase of sanctions get's implemented (we're on 2nd phase now) against Russia, the French will not deliver the boats. Even if those sanctions don't get implemented, it seems likely now all the Russians will get is the hulls and not any of the swanky kit that usually comes with a Mistral class.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

Bigot, or nationalist? Be careful how you answer.

Obviously you are no better than I, considering your reply is just as offensive as mine.

I show no compassion or love for those conspiring with my enemies/rivals. (In this case, Russia is a dangerous rival)

ETA: I've decided to change my title to 'Ignorant Bigot' for one week, in your honor.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
Looks like France has chosen it's side. Let Russia have 'em, they stink , talk funny and drive in circles.

We won't be there to take back their country for them this time when their own troops refuse to fight. Cowardly nations do cowardly things, like selling weapons and ships to a potential enemy.

Yet the only reason the USA exists today cause of French help.........

Id be gratefull to them!

You're right, I did know that. I was hasty to make fun of the French, and I apologize (To everyone) for that, but I am ANGRY they would sell the Russians anything they can't produce themselves. I mean, WTF are they thinking??

ETA: Okay, well it turns out we're getting this news late,

originally posted by: stumason
Seems some are a little behind the curve on this, not least for only noticing now a deal done years ago, but also the fact the deal may well end up being cancelled.

If the 3rd phase of sanctions get's implemented (we're on 2nd phase now) against Russia, the French will not deliver the boats. Even if those sanctions don't get implemented, it seems likely now all the Russians will get is the hulls and not any of the swanky kit that usually comes with a Mistral class.

So... that changes everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join