It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss a payment and your car may die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Imagine getting in your car and it won't start. The situation would be aggravating for most, but for hundreds of thousands of Americans it could simply mean their car payment is overdue. A growing number of car dealers are using starter stoppers technology to ensure you don't get lax on your loan.
Macy Pearson loves the used car she just bought, but it will only start if she's made her car payment. Nestled under her dash is a device called a starter interrupt system. If Macy doesn't pay, the device is set to disable her car so she can't drive.

Macy's salesman insisted she have it, since she has no credit history. Once Macy sends in her payment, she's given a code number to input into a remote that connects to a device underneath the dash. "I stick it right in here. You punch in your code, you hear another little chirp and you're done," explains Macy, as she easily connects the device that will allow her car to run for another week.

www.kfxo.com...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That is insane. This world is totally falling into the trap of the machine. Whats next???

My mail won't come because I won't pay my taxes???

Really one must wonder if this type of technology isn't infringing upon our rights. Personally I can't see how it does, but sure don't miss the fact that this is a cruel and unreasonable stance for a car company to take. Cars are becoming assets to the businesses that produce them, not for the people that use them. For it is well known that we could be driving cleaner cars at a much cheaper price, but why doesn't that happen???

Ummmmm Geeeeeeeee

I wonder.

Abraham

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
No it just goes to show how stupid people can be as consumers. Please, the majority of people are going to want a vehicle that can start and run if they miss a payment. I refuse to own a new vehicle simply due to the fact I enjoy speeds in eccess of 105, no gov on my car! Or a chip!

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Advisor = Temporary American.

I was branded Temporary Australian when I bought my ZXR 750 Superbike....But I am still alive and kicking...although my bike has regretfully been sold... I have moved on to the Crusty Demons side of things now..and have in posession a KTM 620 LC4.

Chris

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Temporary australian?! What the hell is that?

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Someone like me.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
In the New OzChris ATS Dictionary it is defined that a Temporary Australian is and I quote.

"Any Australian that has in possesion one Highly powerful vehicle, being motorbike or car, boat, light aircraft, hovercraft etc and the hormones of a young adult. The meaning has more power if the individual watches movies such as Crusty Demons of the Dirt or the endings of MOTO GP or Superbike races where everyone does wheelies"

This meaning can be diverse and varied depending on the country of origin, example....

Temporary *INSERT COUNTRY OF ORIGIN HERE*

Disclosure - May not include Arctic and/or Antartic poles or areas of arid inhospitable regions.

Hope This clears things up..

Chris

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I won't be owning a car with that device on it, ever...

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzChris
Advisor = Temporary American.

Hehehe

78/79 Pontiac Firebird. It has a 400 bored 30. I have gone up to about 135+ I would guess as my spedo only goes to 100, but it wraps pretty good. I just fixed the passing gear last time I drove, YEA!
FUN!!!

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Why is it so bad? Only affects you if you don't pay. Kind of like the phone. If I don't pay my phone bill, thy cut it off. Why is this any different?

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Why is it so bad? Only affects you if you don't pay. Kind of like the phone. If I don't pay my phone bill, thy cut it off. Why is this any different?

Your phone getting shut off doesnt mean you loose your job, and then cant pay for it ever...

new topics

top topics

join