It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Poll: How concerned are you about "Global Warming"?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

The less, the better.
Our time is limited and time for this species to move on.
Not like we are the rulers, the guardians of this world we call home.
We only reside here.
Humans have decided that they are the almighty above all, but in reality we are not.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: np6888

It's not a concern yet because the UFOs have temporarily made the Earth cooler to give humanity a chance(you don't

Oh,my!
Very interesting theory there.
Waiting on the pixie dust to settle on that one.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Prediction on the outcome of this poll. The over 50% that think this isn't a problem will be highly American. This IS an issue outside of the US.

How is it an issue outside the 48 states?

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The term "global warming" is misleading.

Someone mentioned that "every textbook in the 70s mentioned global warming". Let me try to remember from when I went to school. I vaguely remember reading about global climate changes which are BROUGHT ON MAINLY BY INDUSTRIAL POLLUTION, CAR EXHAUSTS, CO2 etc. released in the atmosphere.

I remember actually reading (back in the late 70s I think) about the ozon hole, "green house effect" increased smog (especially in China and such countries where CO2 pollution was not a concern), increased UV radiation due to the ozon hole and thus increased cancer rates, as well as climate changes eg. more extreme weather (storms, heat waves etc.).

All of the above things have come true. If any of those would have turned out nothing but doom fantasies, rest assured we would know by now.

We have increased UV radiation and tremendously increased skin cancer rates, especially in countries like Australia which (as far as I remember) is the country closest to the ozon hole.
We have Beijing and now also other cities literally choking in smog and CO2, Beijing is now going so far as to erect giant screens with artificial "sun sets" on them since people CANNOT SEE THE SUN ANY MORE due to smog and toxic exhausts.
We have weather conditions with extreme floods and storms, extreme dry summers and contrasting extreme winters. (Yes, even a "global warming" would actually cause extreme colds as well, one cannot be without the other.)

Whether someone at some time predicted "a new ice age" is entirely irrelevant. What WAS and still is relevant is climatic changes brought on by pollution and the destruction of the ozone..eg. greenhouse effect.

There is only one side which has an interest to downplay the very real effects of the climate change, it's the industries and corporates who will naturally do everything to deny responsibility of what's going on since it would cost them money, of course. This is the reason why conservative politicians on the right are denying climate changes because they're in bed with the industry of course.
edit on 5/11/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Love seeing all the polls, and loving the results of this one so far!

For myself, I am SO not worried about the issue, because I don't worry about things that aren't real.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

That is ignorance.
97% of the world scientists agree we have made the climate change.
A pal of mine went up to the arctic and upon return he was so scared because he had seen data first hand in how much ice was disapearing.
Iam glad the whole world are not like the USAers and actually care for the future...47 percent I just hope it is because of the type of person ATS attracts.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Life on Earth keeps the climate within a narrow range of temperatures over time via a closed loop control system, which appears to be an emergent property of life.

This control system can cope with a limited amount of external bias before becoming unstable, leading more instability and consequently a wider range on the temperature control.

Climatologists are modelling this control system to see how much of an effect the external bias (extra greenhouse gasses) will have. These models are imperfect but most point to increased climate instability.

It is likely the control system will eventually negate the effects of too much external bias but this is may to take too long to stop devastating effects on mankind.

In short, the effects of our emissions may be from negligible to catastrophic. The most sensible risk management strategy is to mitigate the risk now to give us time to minimise the uncertainties in our predictions.

Control Systems Wiki

Even if the effects of our emissions are negligible, we know for certain that our fossil fuel sources are finite so it makes sense to minimise fuel use which has the side effect of reducing emissions.

It is relatively easy to research why we should be worried but this isn't as easy as parroting propoganda from sources with agendas other than the truth.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

People accusing scientists of being inaccurate because some thought we were entering an ice-age during the 70's are equivalently saying that we don't really know the earth is round because people used to think the earth was flat! The whole point of scientific knowledge is that is progresses as new information is discovered!

Also CO2 doesn't cause smog. Smog has decreased in most western cities rather significantly thanks to regulations such as the Clean Air Act, catalytic converters and such.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Global warming is a hoax. period

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

That is ignorance.
A pal of mine went up to the arctic and upon return he was so scared because he had seen data first hand in how much ice was disapearing.
Iam glad the whole world are not like the USAers and actually care for the future...47 percent I just hope it is because of the type of person ATS attracts.

No, they most certainly do not! The so-called "data" has been altered, and misrepresented, and flat out falsified so many times, no real scientist would ever give it any credence.

By the way, did you know they are now claiming that polar bears are facing problems because of too much ice? Yeah, too much. Not less, more.

The simple fact is that temps in outlying areas, where you can get accurate measurements not affected by urban growth, are virtually unchanged since we began tracking the temps.

Weather patterns are normal, and we aren't affecting them.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Keep your blinkers on then.
Good job many around the world agree with the science and want to do something about it.
Climate change is happening but please continue putting your head in the sand and just believe in fairy ghosts instead eh?.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Boymonkey, boymonkey .... I'm going to have to send you up your tree without a banana for dinner ...

The Myth of the 98 Percent

Do 98 percent of climate scientists really believe in man-made global warming? A little research reveals that the often-cited figure is a confused and erroneous reference to two different studies that both fail to prove what those who cite them believe or allege.

A fun project folks can do is match up who gets published the most .... and it's the alarmists who get published. Scientists get paid to find something and then only get published if they do. Does publishing bias contribute to the numbers of scientists who believe in man made global warming? Maybe.

Majority of Meteorologists Say Climate Change is Natural Event - George Mason University Finding

75% of Meteorologists Reject UN Global Warming Claims

Global Warming Petition Project
31,487 American scientists have signed this petition including 9,029 with PhDs.

“There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate.”

in 2006 the National Registry of Environmental Professionals found 41 percent disagreed that the planet’s recent warmth “can be, in large part, attributed to human activity,”.

This is something everyone should read ... seriously informative ... major conspiracy stuff ...
FORBES Magazine - Global Warming Alarmists Caught Doctoring 97 Percent Consensus Claims

Global warming alarmists and their allies in the liberal media have been caught doctoring the results of a widely cited paper asserting there is a 97-percent scientific consensus regarding human-caused global warming. After taking a closer look at the paper, investigative journalists report the authors’ claims of a 97-pecent consensus relied on the authors misclassifying the papers of some of the world’s most prominent global warming skeptics. At the same time, the authors deliberately presented a meaningless survey question so they could twist the responses to fit their own preconceived global warming alarmism.

Iam glad the whole world are not like the USAers and actually care for the future...

Engaging in some good ol' USA bashing? Comeon. Just because people here question the information and don't jump on Al Gore's 'carbon credit' money making scam bandwagon doesn't mean that they 'don't care about the future'. They aren't out tossing garbage in the street and purposely being wasteful pigs or something.

47 percent I just hope it is because of the type of person ATS attracts.

I said that I"m not worried about it. I said that because I know there are natural global warming and cooling cycles ... I said that because I know that humanity is doomed anyways because of over crowding and there is no nothing I can do about it except keep my corner as clean as possible. I can't worry about that which I have no control over. (and frankly, the planet will be better off without all the humans)

So what 'type' of person am I Boymonkey?

edit on 5/11/2014 by FlyersFan because: typo

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Why are we having these polls SO? Are they for fun or for another purpose.

Either way ..I have no problem with them .. Just wondering what your goal is with
them?

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

A lovely one

To be honest be it man made or natural we have to do something about it, I think pollution is bad for the planet either way and harms all our natural eco-systems.
To just ignore the climate changing and the effects it will have on humanity is just silly and not good for anyone.
Oh and have more faith in us humans/great apes...we are all amazing, we just have to evolve a bit more

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

be it man made or natural we have to do something about it,

But what if it's a necessary natural cycle for the Earth and if we interfere with it then we cause more harm than good?

I think pollution is bad for the planet either way and harms all our natural eco-systems..

Sure. And that's why we should all try to clean up .. clean the water; clean the air; recycle; etc. It's a SMART thing to do. Otherwise, we wallow in our own muck.

It's just that those politicians running around screaming 'man made climate change' are also the ones that are heavily invested in their own green technologies or scams (carbon credit trading) ... and that REALLY turns people off, ya' know? Those people do more harm than good, IMHO.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Oh and have more faith in us humans/great apes...we are all amazing, we just have to evolve a bit more

This deserved a response all it's own. boymonkey .. I"m thinking just the opposite of you. Humans individually can be amazing. But as a whole, we seem to be de-evolving. I'm seeing humans sliding backward, not forward. Idiocracy is coming alive before our eyes. We could soar through the heavens and to the stars, but instead people are acting like how we see the folks on Jerry Springer. And I really do think the planet can't sustain humanity the way it's going. Overpopulation is depleting the resources, including the nutrients in the soil. We eat, but we aren't getting what we need. There has to be an implosion and a reboot. A massive die off. There can be no other outcome.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

We eat, but we aren't getting what we need.

Who exactly is "we"? If you are in a western country, then yes, you are getting effectively what you need to eat.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Well if a mass die off happens I hope you survive to spread your wisdom
...(not a piss take I mean it )

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

You realize one of your sources, The Heartland Institute, has been funded by fossil fuel companies and before that, tobacco companies?

The first international conference designed to question the scientific consensus on climate change is being sponsored by a right-wing American think-tank which receives money from the oil industry.

The same group has tried to undermine the link between passive smoking and health problems and has accepted donations from a major tobacco company.

The 2008 International Conference on Climate Change in New York appears to be a conventional exchange of ideas on the science of global warming. Yet it is organised by the Heartland Institute of Chicago, which has opposed much of the science of climate change and passive smoking.

Exxon, the oil giant, and Philip Morris, the tobacco company, have both donated money to it, although the institute is keeping its recent donations company. It is believed to be the first time that a direct link has emerged between anti-global warming sceptics funded by the oil industry and the opponents of the scientific evidence showing that passive smoking can damage people's health.

www.independent.co.uk...

You said:

It's just that those politicians running around screaming 'man made climate change' are also the ones that are heavily invested in their own green technologies or scams (carbon credit trading) ... and that REALLY turns people off, ya' know? Those people do more harm than good, IMHO.

Hypocritical!

I said that because I know that humanity is doomed anyways because of over crowding

Chicken little!

and there is no nothing I can do about it

Lazyness!

except keep my corner as clean as possible. I can't worry about that which I have no control over.

Even though you're opposing the efforts to fix environmental problems?

(and frankly, the planet will be better off without all the humans)

The world would be better off with less opinions that are lazy, hypocritical, that think the sky is falling.
edit on 11/5/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose
Global warming is a hoax. period

Whew. Compelling argument. I wonder if I can change my vote from pretty concerned to not concerned.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join