It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Poll: How concerned are you about "Global Warming"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
"OMG, today is hot! Goddamn you global warming!"

"OMG, today is cold! Goddamn you global warming!"

Lol...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
"OMG, today is hot! Goddamn you global warming!"

"OMG, today is cold! Goddamn you global warming!"

Lol...

*OMG, on each count, my carbon tax has been raised! Gosh Dang you corrupted politicians!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I have to say, I have followed ATS for a year and find many of the discussions highly interesting and the debates which occur are very informative.

But the attitude of many people here to the FACTS are alarming

CO2 absorbs UV radiation and hence retains energy in the atmospheric system, this is FACT. If the temperature heats up sufficiently to begin melting permafrost then the gigantic methane reserves locked away in the frozen soil will be released into the atmosphere, methane is a more potent GHG than C02 by a factor of 34. if this happens we no longer have any control over huge quantities of methane being released into the atmosphere.

There is no debate as to whether or not global climate patterns are changing and becoming more erratic. There is no debate as to whether or not C02 levels are higher than at any time in human history, and it does not take a genius to see the correlation between industrialization since the late 18th century and the increased levels since then. There is no debate as to whether or not global temperature has increased in line with the C02 levels. There is no debate that the northern latitudes will receive (and have already) much higher than average temperature increases, hence albedo is reduced by ice melt. There is no debate that all of these things are true and happening.

Why can most not seem to have the ingenuity to extrapolate from these facts the possible future consequences. I have to say that I believe it may be an age issue, as a person of age 22 I will have to live with the full consequences of global climate madness and many on here who are older may not care as they will be gone when it happens.

Think of Humanity, not the Earths climate system as a whole. Human civilization has been around for a fraction of a second relative to the lifespan of Earth, and if an advanced civilization did exist and vanished due to large-scale flooding which occurred as the Ice melted rapidly around 15,000 years ago, they vanished as a result of rising sea levels. (not to say i believe this, just postulating)

Sea levels will rise in the next century, the only question is by how much.
Many of the food producing regions of earth will be unable to produce current levels of food in this time period.
population globally is increasing still.

Climate change is happening, and if you want to have your head in the sand so be it.
As the US fracks its way to energy independence it puts out ever increasing CO2 levels, many the world over will follow.
This is unsustainable, I have no doubt.

The main issue is that people don't care because they believe it will not affect them personally, however when the hordes of hundreds of millions of climate refugees are pouring over western and developed nations borders what will people say then, send them back?

We in the west initiated this problem, yet many of us want NOTHING to do with it and are in a state of denial.

I firmly believe that many people here, if presented with the amount of evidence in favor of GHG stimulated climate change for another issue would agree and see the problem. I think a major problem may be a general lacking of scientific knowledge amongst many people, and a distrust of authority. Have no doubt I am anti-authoritarian to my core, and a huge libertarian, however I can see a correlation when it slaps me in the face, and I have the ability to extrapolate & project into the future to see the potential outcomes.

None are good. Human civilization will not fall apart no, but major conflicts will happen, billions of people may die, the vast majority of life other than humans will become extinct (the worst crime committed by our species) and our planet will be a place in 100 years where people no longer can see the vast and astonishing array of wildlife and beauty we do today, people will look back at our time and ask WHY, WHY did you not care and continue to destroy the biome?

Sadly the facts are that the West created the issue of co2 emissions, however the west no longer has control over it, and even if the US and we Europeans reduced all C02 emissions to 0. China, India and Africa will have the final say, and whom are we to say then cannot have cheap energy too?

It is a dire situation, people need to pull their heads out of the sand, look at the real data and come to their own conclusions. But make no mistake, it is happening if you like it or not and we will ALL be affected in some way or another.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
With the great lakes ice 1000% above normal this year, and Antarctic sea ice at its highest 'since records began' I think I will worry about a Muanday minimum, I spend enough on heating as it is. (ice figures from 'climate depot')

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
global warming=climate change=weather

it is a subject humans have noted and
discussed since the invention of language.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord About as concerned as I was about the next ice age in the 70s. Lived threw that. I can live threw this. It was tough though, I was dressed for it.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I don't worry about global warming at all.

I do however worry about what politicians and government will do in the name of global warming.

I can totally see a Snowpiercer style scenario where a bunch of politicians who think they know best essentially kill us all trying to play god.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
why on Earth do so many of you on here think that the FACT that we are heating this planet up too quickly due to CO2 being at very high levels is some sort of conspiracy to make money?
The conspiracy is that this information is being counteracted with misleading propaganda stemming from the fossil fuel industry. They are the ones behind the conspiracy. Follow the money and listen to science.
CO2 has just risen to the highest level in 800000 years.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
According to the poll, this site is 45.63% Republicans and science deniers.

Not surprised.

Nice Poll system!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
When Chemtrailing started in the early 70's no one even considered global warming. The so called climate experts where trumpeting the end of mankind due to a new ice age that was forming. It is my belief that one of the climate quacks of the time came up with the chemtrailing scheme to counter global cooling and they have never stopped the project, therefore we can make a connection that chemtrailing is driving the present global warming that these same climate experts now say is going to terminate mankind. Just food for thought. Since they have verified evidence that global warming and cooling have happened many times in the past from periods when there was no human pollution it pretty much proves that global climate change happens without human help.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I don't think anything that humans have done, or cows farting, has impacted the climate on earth. I think the sun is fluctuating and has everything to do with it. Global warming = money scam
edit on 9-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Looks as if the state of denial is winning.

Edit to say Only 40 Flags???? WTH?

edit on am531amFri, 09 May 2014 09:49:54 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
I don't think anything that humans have done, or cows farting, has impacted the climate on earth. I think the sun is fluctuating and has everything to do with it. Global warming = money scam

This all day long. +1

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yeah. Burning Fossil Fuels, making plastics or poisoning the water have absolutely no effect at all.

Smog, pollution and mutations are just sun fluctuating.

Also, breathing oxygen is a scam too, the government and terrorizers want you to get addicted to oxygen so want more.

Cause and Effect.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr X

Why was it so high 800000 years ago?

Seriously, violent climate change is coming despite mankind, and there really isn't a damned thing we can do about it now.

IMO

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The poll results make me weep for the world.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

That is true, but ignoring any guessing, doesn't it seem that billions of tons of CO2 continuously being pumped into the atmosphere would have some effect?

Since we have alternatives, isn't it wise to move away from burning stuff to non-polluting means of energy production?

If the scientists are wrong ... what's the downside to shifting our civilization to non combustion based energy production? If they're right, what's the downside to ignoring them?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, I'll say I'm not a part of the thinking with this poll. I'm extremely worried about climate change, and there is no conspiracy or grand plan to try to bilk money.

First off, when dealing with major scientific topics like climate change or evolution, you don't listen to just one scientist. You listen to scientific organizations, because they hold thousands of scientists who work together, and the general consensus of the world's scientific organizations is that we're having an effect on our planet.

This isn't some conspiracy to wipe out businesses, it's about keeping our planet clean. For every story I hear on ATS about Monsanto or Bayer doing something ecologically destructive and ATS angry, I hear that climate change isn't an issue.

We only have one planet. If we mess it up, we don't have anywhere else to go...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

It would be scientifically impossible for me to be any less worried about, holy crap here it comes, Lord save us..... GLOBAL WARMING! The fear mongering for profit nonsense that so many have been brainwashed into supporting, however, scares the crap out of me. Humanity's never ending fascination with always "doing something sacrificial" and forcing those who don't go along into compliance is going to be the death of civilization... I can only hope it only takes the sacrificers and leaves the rest of us alone.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This poll is depressing. Some well thought out and concise posts in many threads including this one. If I could change one thing about myself, it would be that I was a better communicator. I don't always get my point across and sound like an angry blowhard at times but.. nevertheless...

Man Made Global Warming is what we have here. We are killing ourselves and hurting ourselves and don't seem to care one bit about it. We have to deny ignorance, get our heads out of the sand and look truth in the face.

The Facts are:

Almost every scientist on earth believes this. Do you guys understand that? That's like you getting sick and 9 doctors tell you that you have cancer and need treatment. The other doctor says that your fine, you just need to drink more beer. So you disregard everything those 9 doctors said and go with the wacko. That's what you're doing.

Sure, there is probably some people, corporations and politicians salivating at the chance to make money out of Global Warming....there always will be scumbags who try to profit out of crisis. However there is an equal number of people and corporations who are making money by denying Global warming. Those two subsets cancel each other out.

There was no scientific outcry in the 70s about an impending ice age. That was a small handful of scientists and some news media publications. It's not the same as today's issues. You guys need to try google and research that.

Instead of listening to the retards on talk radio and fox news...you should try listening to scientists concerning this issue. That' s what most of you deniers are not doing. LOL Scientists not conservative news pundits. Think for yourselves sheep!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join