It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Poll: How concerned are you about "Global Warming"?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
2/3. Bad call. I'm not a big oil company guy. I'm one of the folks who campaigned for signatures to get this: ballotpedia.org... on the ballot. I absolutely don't work in the fossil fuel industry. ETA: Sorry, I cannot link directly because of formatting. Please click on Ballot Measure 1 if you're interested in researching what I'm talking about.

But do you disagree your state highly depend on fossil fuels for its jobs? Making you biased?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There is no man made global warming,it is a fraud being perpetrated on the people by unethical opportunists.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFarts
What type of "When did you stop beating your wife" question is that? Yes my state makes money off of oil (less since Parnel's little future oil lobbyist tax cut) and No this doesn't equate to me being biases. It is possible to be anti AGW theory, ambivalent to oil companies, and not have any financial agenda aside from the fact that the regulations and AGW driven horse crap end up costing me a lot more to heat my home, cook my food, and drive my big frickin SUV.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

From your experience and background, if you agree that heat island effect from mankind is real and can impact measurements from weather stations - that local climate change is possible

Often there is more snow in the city limits than in the surrounding countryside. Cities are not only warmer, cities also give off a lot of water vapor in the winter.

The governmental electric car program aims at charging the car at night, when the power demand is low or constant, and then discharging the car at the place of employment. Essentially using the night time power to run daytime demand.
Of course each driver would need to ask for permission to drive anywhere but work and home.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
How can you be concerned about something that doesn't exist?

Perhaps we need a new poll: What's the scarier boogey man location, the closet or under the bed?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mirthful Me

Perhaps we need a new poll: What's the scarier boogey man location, the closet or under the bed?

Oh it exists, it has happened umpteen times in this planets history. The debate is whether the current planet "issues" are because of the activities of human beings, or if there are even current planet issues at all.

This glowball warming... global warming (climate change, AGW, whatever PC term they use nowadays) argument has been slapped onto newscasts since the late nineties. That's at least 15 years now of them shoving this scare down our throats. They screamed how the planet would warm 6 degrees within the next century!!!!!! Well guess what, 15 years later we see no measurable increase (no increase at all in fact, actually many argue there has been a DECREASE). That's right, we are now at least 15 percent of the way into that "next century" and we see nothing... NOTHING. But, we do still have the same people screaming about what is going to happen though... We'd better run and hide under our beds.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Actually now...the latest is Climate Disruption, it changes every Al Gore gives a new speech. I like the Polls too ! Kinda provides an overview of the ATS microcosm.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

What qualifications do I need to know that when a group lies and misrepresents data, they shouldn't be trusted? The whole GW/CC mess isn't about protecting the environment, anyway; it's about controlling people and about money. There are legitimate concerns about the environment, such as toxic dumping, deforestation, and the like. This isn't one of the legitimate concerns. The date for rural areas is virtually unchanged for the last century. Ice is growing in as many places as it's receding, and that's normal. Sea levels aren't rising. Temperature measurements can't be trusted, because many of the places they are taken aren't the right place for a correct temperature. Many are located near airports, close to exhaust and other heat sources, etc.

You keep claiming that "97% of scientists" say this is true, but that isn't true. List all scientists, and their positions on this issue. And I mean ALL. That claim isn't even close to the truth. It's more of the propaganda.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
the right has al quida the left has global warming..

scare tactics

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFarts

Warming cycles are normal!

What warming now?

Lol

You misunderstood, once again.

I meant, "warming cycles are normal", and, "which warming". You told me the Earth was currently warming, so I asked you what starting point you used as reference. You do know that when you say "warming", this warming has to start somewhere in time?? Which starting point did you choose?

Because if you're saying that Earth warmed relative to the 1950s, then yeah: you're right. But if you're saying that Earth warmed relative to its past climatic history, and if you consider the bigger picture such as the whole cenozoic era or even the mesozoic era, then no: I'm sorry but this statement is incorrect, if anything it got much colder.

And with this realization should come at least the consideration that modern climate is still influenced (to a major degree) by the forces which has always shaped climate during its past history. Attributing it to man exclusively is like attributing the current position of the stars to recent human activity in space.

That being said it's never too soon to become respectful of Earth's ecosystem and atmosphere. Not because, for now, we have a very small effect relative to the normal forces, means that we should have a major effect in the first place. Now would be a great time to stop polluting and destroying the biosphere, before our activity actually becomes undeniably disruptive.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Holden the same guy that said we should put fluoride in the drinking water to dumb people down.
edit on 17-5-2014 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Pollution is real. Global warming now that's a hoax. The amazon has gotten more green n lush due to increase in c02. Plus the ice age had 3 times more co2. Co2 is just an excuse for more taxes.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
There is no man made global warming,it is a fraud being perpetrated on the people by unethical opportunists.

originally posted by: amfirst1
Global warming now that's a hoax.

What else is causing the increase in temperatures? Are thermometers conducting some grand hoax on mankind? And it isn't the sun:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: Sunwolf

originally posted by: amfirst1
Global warming now that's a hoax.

What else is causing the increase in temperatures? Are thermometers conducting some grand hoax on mankind? And it isn't the sun:

Oh of course... now why would the sun be the cause of warming on Earth.

The REAL fact of the matter is that this planet over the last 12 years has cooled, not warmed. THAT is the truth, that is the reality.

www.google.ca...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gfe_rd =cr&ei=Lo93U_C2HaeV8QeqlYDIDQ#channel=np&q=the+earth+is+really+cooling&rls=org.mozilla:en-US
fficial

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bronco73
Oh of course... now why would the sun be the cause of warming on Earth.

The REAL fact of the matter is that this planet over the last 12 years has cooled, not warmed. THAT is the truth, that is the reality.

It's a common claim that solar activity is responsible for increased temperatures. Very, very few people dispute that temperatures have increased since the 1880s.

You are claiming it's cooled over the last 12 years with a link to a google search of all things. That is utterly absurd. Find something in there as source. An article, a journal, or something; I'm not going to scavenge around on a search page for your links for you to figure out what you mean. Seriously, that's obscenely lazy on your part. Also, your link broke due to the emoticons. Well done.

Look on the chart: over some periods, the temperatures go down; over most others, the temperatures go up. The fact of the matter, as illustrated in that chart above, is that the earth has been warming since 1880. If you disagree with the temperatures in this chart, take it up with NASA.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The fact is, it follows a cyclical pattern and it's been doing this since hundred of thousands of years.

Sure, it's warmer than 1800s. But that's conveniently ignoring the rest of Earth's history. It's actually currently colder than all four last interglacial peaks.

edit on 17-5-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne
These charts are stupid because they unnecessarily hide critical information. Usually they are designed to confuse people.

When is the starting date on that chart for year 0? Where is this chart from?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
believing in a myth that man is causing the planet to warm beyond what could be considered from natural sources is equally utterly absurd.

My assumption was that you would have the wherewithall to continue on by clicking on the links that appeared in front of you. Rather than leaping at the chance to rather rudely insult somebody because they don't agree with you, perhaps you could have followed the path set forth and just looked at some of the links. Oh and by the way... I put ZERO emoticons in that post. Whataver happened to the link was not from something I did. Also, the link is NOT broken as you claimed, I clicked on it and got the exact search link that was placed in the post. There is a problem with displaying the link, not the mechanics of it. Therefore, you didn't really even check it as you claimed. Another lie from a global warming alarmist.... go figure.

And I don't disagree that the globe has warmed since 1880 as your chart demonstrates, it has warmed for sure, that's indisputable. However, I disagree that the warming trend was caused by man. And I disagree that it is continuing, because it is not. There is absolute proof that over the last 12 years the globe has cooled.
www.c3headlines.com...
www.globalresearch.ca...
www.forbes.com...
www.climatedepot.com... ention-in-the-public-debate-seems-to-be-moving-away-from/
www.dailytech.com...

edit on 17-5-2014 by bronco73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bronco73
believing in a myth that man is causing the planet to warm beyond what could be considered from natural sources is equally utterly absurd.

My assumption was that you would have the wherewithall to continue on by clicking on the links that appeared in front of you. Rather than leaping at the chance to rather rudely insult somebody because they don't agree with you, perhaps you could have followed the path set forth and just looked at some of the links. Oh and by the way... I put ZERO emoticons in that post. Whataver happened to the link was not from something I did. Also, the link is NOT broken as you claimed, I clicked on it and got the exact search link that was placed in the post. There is a problem with displaying the link, not the mechanics of it. Therefore, you didn't really even check it as you claimed. Another lie from a global warming alarmist.... go figure.

And I don't disagree that the globe has warmed since 1880 as your chart demonstrates, it has warmed for sure, that's indisputable. However, I disagree that the warming trend was caused by man. And I disagree that it is continuing, because it is not. There is absolute proof that over the last 12 years the globe has cooled.

Humans have increased the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere by an immense amount since we've been on this earth. It doesn't really seem a big stretch to imagine that has had some effect. Yet, because processes are slow, we have arguments on if it is happening or not. To your credit, you do agree that warming has happened. This isn't always the case for those who otherwise agree with you.

It is incredibly lazy to just throw search terms out, save for the case where you cannot directly link due to limitations. It's like claiming something, throwing a magazine at someone, and telling them to read up on it without telling that person the name or page number of the article. You couldn't get away with that in a grade school research paper. To call me rude and insulting for grumbling about that is silly. So is expecting me to hunt down exactly what you meant.

Also, I wasn't lying. As is typical of those who deny climate change, you don't do research before claiming something. The links are not the same. Click on your link as the bbcode built it and look at the URL. Then click Quote on your post, and copy & paste your link URL. The two links yield different results for me. Anyone else can do this and then laugh, too.

Again, look at the chart. Something you might notice is that, during solar minimums, temperatures tend to dip a bit. This doesn't always happen, but it's pretty frequent in the reconstruction of total solar irradiance. Let me highlight the last ~17 years from the NASA data:

This NASA data is from weather stations, which report that the temperature is still trending warmer. The RSS data - from satellites which measure temperatures via microwave sounding and infrared - is where the much-touted 'cooling' that you're talking about. Microwave sounding and infrared both have a great many limitations, like poor vertical resolution and clouds, respectively.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Why does believing or not believing matter, other than a game of dead end opinion. An average person has no control over the outcome. Those in power, placed there and controlled by those with the money, will determine the outcome.

The debate allows people to think they accomplish something, keeps them busy, while the machine grinds on.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join