It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cassette Tapes are back ?????? No way...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I heard this technology has been around for years, just no-one had THAT much need for THAT much data before, until now, Sony is just filling a super rare niche market, but will most likely be the leader when more and more company's start storing ALL their files on digital format.
The thing is, these are tapes, and once the data is on there it's meant to be put on there, locked up, and only used in extreme situations, it's not like you can just whip these things out like an old cassette tape and play video games and watch movies off it nightly. They are quite delicate from what I understand. They are purely used for their surface area for maximum optimization of space.
Still, quite impressive!
edit on 8-5-2014 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I don't wanna go back to tape, unless I'm recording music.
Everything should be on little micro cards.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So we can stick a very big library onto one of these bad boys, alot of tech drawings and maybe use a few more for all the scientific data. Fill a small box full of tapes and stick it in a vault for when we are no longer here and we need to rebuild again. We could even maybe put a box on the space ship to mars along with a reading device and start again, with all all our knowledge.
Possibilities are endless. I often wonder did this already happen before.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Thanks. So every book in the Library of Congress would fit onto one of these, five times over??? Nice. Seems the only thing needed is an easy tracking system, when this tech goes to dvd or cd format, and it's bound to, then it's in the Star Trek realm. Or close (I'm still waiting for the gas computers, but maybe those will be too large).

edit on 8-5-2014 by Aleister because: add as s

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Thanks. So every book in the Library of Congress would fit onto one of these, five time over??? Nice. Seems the only thing needed is an easy tracking system, when this tech goes to dvd or cd format, and it's bound to, then it's in the Star Trek realm. Or close (I'm still waiting for the gas computers, but maybe those will be too large).

Well...the tech really can't go into disc as there is a LOT more write-able space in tape media. Now, if they could figure out how to do a couple hundred layers in a disc, or at least more than the current dual layer, we may have some serious storage for home that is quickly accessible.

Either way, I don't think I could fill one of these tapes in an entire lifetime, though they would be perfect for a hoarder....LOL

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I expect the dual-layer to be the next to fall, although I'm not an expert and might be totally wrong. That is likely one of the Holy Grails of the compression industry.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
so get this---The cartridge, which stores 148GB of data per inch of tape
Unless the tape is an inch wide, and I doubt it is, it doesn't hold 148GB of data per inch of tape, it's 148GB of data per square inch of tape so if the tape is .25" wide that would take 4 inches. I didn't see where they mention the data tape width, but a cassette tape is something like 1/8 inch wide (3.81mm).

This thread is sort of a duplicate, and I think the original source on the first thread might be more accurate since it refers to square inches (instead of inches of tape):

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...

Created with the help of IBM, Sony's technology allows for tapes that can store the equivalent of 3,700 Blu-ray discs.

The tape hold 148 gigabits (Gb) per square inch -
Plus it doesn't refer to cassette. While it is a magnetic tape, it's not really a cassette, it's more accurately called it a "cartridge".

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this going thread.

Sony new tape smashes Storage record at 185 terabytes

thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join