It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Pain Exist After Death?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Things are more real on the other side. Yes we feel. This robo suit we're in, it has inventors and creators. A bot can only exhibit real knowledge of their creator. Creators only program feelings, and sensations they understand.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I had a NDE ad a child, what I experienced was classic. I felt no pain, actually I felt a type of contentment like none other I have ever felt as a waking individual. No stress, no worry, it was like pure energy was coursing through my veins. It's tough to describe, but I do not believe that we experience pain or pleasure in the next life like we do in this one...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Interesting line of thought and fundamental in really trying to understand a non-physical state of being.

I would think that since the will can create phantom pain, it's possible that pain could exist in a non-physical state.

It's also possible that the chemical reaction in our bodies that produce cognition, emotion and movement might exist in a non-physical, primary state and our physicality just mimics this through physical chemicals.

As far as I know, there is still a conundrum over how our nerves produce movement... meaning they haven't found the complete chain of chemical reactions that explains the whole thing.

Now to read the replies and learn a thing or three... good OP.

Edit: I would also think that the primary, pure energy state would enable one to experience whatever one wished... and I suspect that physicality exists to give us something to wish for, or extrapolate on... as just pleasantly being offers no novelty. As non-physical beings, a state where extremes and differences are experienced for growth would be desirable at some point in eternity. Add to that thought duality... the other, to alleviate loneliness, if the mystics are right and we are a scattered whole.

Drifting in a pleasant state of being where no pain exists would be stagnant and ...well, boring. It follows that physicality might have been constructed to enable the non-physical to learn and grow.

edit on 5/9/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Pure energy feels no pain, it ain't got no time for dat.

Tho you may weaken it or even fade it away, but pain is a biological construct.

mental pain is an emotion, no so much physical.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Damrin
I had a NDE ad a child, what I experienced was classic. I felt no pain, actually I felt a type of contentment like none other I have ever felt as a waking individual. No stress, no worry, it was like pure energy was coursing through my veins. It's tough to describe, but I do not believe that we experience pain or pleasure in the next life like we do in this one...

great start for your first post

Welcome to ATS

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
Thanks!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

And as for being "more real" over there... my father was a life-long materialist/atheist... before he passed away for good he had an NDE ... or really a DE as he died for a few minutes ... and said it was "like waking up from a dream... it was FAR more 'real' and this life faded in intensity.

He also saw something he equated with "god" as a totality and saw it as a taurus (or doughnut) shaped thing of creation/destruction. So ... yeah...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
hiya im pretty sure that all signs point to, when your brain stops working, you stop thinking and your memories are lost. brain damage is very interesting, but you cannot feel pain if your brain is not working.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Pain and suffering are not limited to our physical body. Dreams are an example of where one can experience strong emotional distress, usually without being physically affected.

So yes, if the Soul is real and life exists after death then it is likely that pain can still be experienced in one form or another.

Emotions are physical though. They are created in the brain.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

I suppose this relates to the mind-body problem where one can take the dualist or monist approach. I am undecided about which approach is more truthful, but I do tend to lean more towards the first.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Physical Pain would not be possible as a spirit and soul is beyond the physical realm and emotions will be out of the question as emotions are simply chemical thingies happening in our body . Am guessing its something we have not experienced . So maybe existence after death is probably more than pain or pleasure , may there is few things more than just the two dimensional existence of pain and pleasure..

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
i have a friend who has been clinically dead over twenty times through various missadventures:
"going isn't what hurts" he said, 'its coming back that hurts"

oh and he was considered by the RCMP to be one of the biggest criminals in ontario in his day
No mention of a painful hell and all that jazz on his little side trips
edit on Satam5b20145America/Chicago45 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
i have a friend who has been clinically dead over twenty times through various missadventures:

oh and he was considered by the RCMP to be one of the biggest criminals in ontario in his day

Any more Details we can get on what exactly he experienced when he was on the other side ....

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That functions as a part of evolution, secular or religious.

Just depends on differentiation between various things.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I would say yes there is still pain and pleasure because in a dream (which is entirely in your head and you have no real physical body there) you can still experience sensations. Interestingly pain is much less severe in a dream whilst good sensations like sex or joy can be amplified.

My ideal vision of the afterlife is that it's a shared lucid dream, where you can create your own personalised realm as well as travel to shared or common realms. There are a few books that hint at this being the case, some suggest that the same place we dream at night is the same place (or at least very similar to where) we go when we die - some sort of astral dream plane.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

That's the question. If God loves us, then why are we in pain and suffering? But at the same time, maybe that pain and suffering helps us in some way?

I love my child but and I would take away all her pain and suffering if I could. But at the same time, she has to work at her college grades herself to make her life better. So maybe God does the same kind of thing with us??

Or ... maybe all that 'it's for a reason' stuff is just crap people tell each other to explain away useless suffering.

I think we'll find out in the afterlife.

A lot of people doesn't believe in God by simply thinking that if God loves us there would never be any pain, yet an all powerful God naturally has the power to take away everyone pain, however he also has the power to MAKE everyone fall down on their knees and force them to worship him as well. but if he wants true love (not forced, but from the heart) and REAL love since he gives us the ability to make choices on our own perhaps if there was no pain possibly more souls would be 'lost' since in many minds people would take the lazy way out since worldly life would be easy and pain-free there would be no reason to believe in an all-powerful being that promises us happiness in the afterlife.
In other words, you wouldn't enjoy happiness without experiencing pain at some point!
And for this reason I don't believe you would feel pain after death as it would no longer be necessary.
Just my 2 cents.

edit on 12-5-2014 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Silly question, reminds me of the doctor/lawyer gag:

* Lawyer: "Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?"

* Witness: "No."

* Lawyer: "Did you check for blood pressure?"

* Lawyer: "Did you check for breathing?"

* Lawyer: "So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?"

* Lawyer: "How can you be so sure, Doctor?"

* Witness: "Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar."

* Lawyer: "But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?"

* Witness: "I suppose it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere."

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

originally posted by: Danbones

Any more Details we can get on what exactly he experienced when he was on the other side ....

he doesn't talk about that too much...he says really he was just floating away from pain...
he does go to church every sunday...but has never really mended his ways
so there maybe more to the story...he hasn't said

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi
True story:
Jerry Bartle was arrested and put on trial for robbing a local shop at gunpoint. In his wisdom he decided that he would represent himself in court. He appeared to be doing reasonably well until the shop's owner took the stand to give her evidence.
She had identified him immediately as the robber, as she was speaking Bartle jumped up and yelled, 'You're lying! I should have blown your head off!' He paused, then added, 'If I had been the one that was there.'
The jury found him guilty and Jerry Bartle was sentenced to thirty years imprisonment.

Okay, back on topic..
this is what Revelations 21:4 in the King James Version says of pain after death:

King James Bible
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away".

I have also heard people that experiences NDE have said their pains were gone. (except those that said they were in Hell!)
I'm not what you would call a Bible Thumper but I think it's better to be safe than sorry (and be ready.... just in case!)

edit on 13-5-2014 by wulff because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join