It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Cops Are Pulling People Over For The Best Reason Ever

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is a TV advert for walls ice cream right?

So this isnt real?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

So i am driving from point A to point B, trying to not be late, and one of these guys pulls me over to give me an ice cream.....

I get the idea and all. But do they have to try to repair their image by making people late for work, or another appointment?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
This is a TV advert for walls ice cream right?

So this isnt real?

Right. The whole thing was a promotion for the ice cream.

But in a recent promotion for Wall's Ice Cream, a group of police officers in Quincy, California decided to give people a fresh experience with the cops.

Using their law-appointed power, the cops pulled over a few unsuspecting citizens and then fired a few questions at them.

I'd be pretty pissed if I were pulled over for a commercial. If I were a taxpayer of the town I'd be pretty pissed the cops, whose salary I pay, are making ice cream commercials and using their police powers no less.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Did you really use Sgt. Stedenko?

With that line, you are todays winner of the internetz.

But it is troubling to me that authority figures can call your home and shake you down for donations. Does that really happen?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
It's great to see that California is 100% crime free and the police have nothing better to do than pull over innocent people and give them treats.

Police are responsible for crime prevention too. Every positive interaction with the public makes it more likely to curb crime or have it resolved quicker in the future.

If police are on good terms with the public, the public tends to assist them much more. Not only that, but individuals of all walks of life tread on various lines of criminality (whether it be something entirely frivolous or something a bit more serious... Interacting with the police can help encourage lawful behaviour.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

I'd be pretty pissed if I were pulled over for a commercial. If I were a taxpayer of the town I'd be pretty pissed the cops, whose salary I pay, are making ice cream commercials and using their police powers no less.

If it's indeed just a commercial then if anything you'd think the outrage (at the police for wasting people's time) would subside a bit no? Banks hire uniformed officers, as well as a bunch of other corporations and businesses too.

I presume if they were participating in a commercial the company producing it would be paying them, not sure how much would be coming from your taxes for that specifically.

But again, these kinds of things should actually be more common. Maybe not ice cream pullovers per se, but positive interaction with the community helps bridge gaps and is very important to public safety and acceptance.

Which will probably save money in the long run.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I give cops a lot of respect because IMO its one of the most dangerous jobs out there. You pull someone over for speeding and the next thing you know you are being shot at. Every interaction they make with the public has a higher than normal possibility in ending with their death and the element of surprise.

Cops do need a PR make over especially in certain communities with high crime rate. However, I do have a hard time not speculating that this is a sneaky form of checking for illegal activities. What happens if the guy is drunk , has illegal hand gun, drugs, etc in the car? are they just going to give them the ice cream and let him be on his way?

I think a better PR stunt with better benefits for everyone would be to get involved in the communities they work especially low income areas. Organize kid activities such as movie in the park, field trips. Perhaps organize charity events and fund raiser events to give the kids money for the field trips, bikes, toys, clothing,etc. I would think that it would be harder to be enemies or belligerent towards someone you know and does positive things for your community . Not to mention you might be able to re-brand the image the parents have instilled on some of those children for long term benefits.

Yes I know its not a cops job or position to do such a thing, but ask yourself what is the goal: lower crime rate, better intermingling between the community and the officers, less violence and murder rates?

If so , then we need to think out of the box and create a sustainable form of peace by trying to create friends rather than using unsustainable measures such as by force.

edit on 41531America/ChicagoThu, 08 May 2014 08:41:07 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

So as its a commercial who is to say that these are even real people they are pulling over. They are probably actors. The police are probably actors as well.

Why is this even a thread on ATS if its an advert?
edit on 8-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

So as its a commercial who is to say that these are even real people they are pulling over. They are probably actors. The police are probably actors as well.

The article (if we can even call it that) makes it sound as though they are in fact real Quincy, CA cops using their real power to stop people to film a commercial.

Whether or not the people stopped are actors is not clear but if they were going to use actors to pose as drivers then they wouldnt need real police with real power to pull people over, would they?

It's an abuse of power and authority like any other. Sure, you get an ice cream out of it but it's still an unethical abuse of police powers. Whether you get a treat or your skull caved in the abuse of power is the same.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't think that a good idea. Traffic stops, no matter how well done, tie up traffic, stress out the driver, and increase the chance of an accident due to disruption of the traffic flow.

Also, from a philosophical standpoint, why should agents of the state be pulling over and detaining (because that's what happens when you are pulled over, you are detained) without cause for a crime being committed?

Also, since there is no probable cause for this sort of frivolous stop, what happens if they detect a crime while talking to a citizen? If they smell alcohol while they are talking or see a joint on the dash can they make an arrest and if so, won't that be thrown out as they stopped them without PC?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

In the UK the police are not allowed to do any other paid work. It could cause a conflict of interests.

Im wondering if it the same in the US?

edit on 8-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I the UK the police are not allowed to do any other paid work. It could cause a conflict of interests.

Im wondering if it the same in the US?

US cops are known for moonlighting. They take extra work as security, bodyguards, bouncers, etc....

That's if they cant find a reason to rack up 20+ hours of overtime (sleeping at road construction sites, sleeping in parking lots, raping hookers, etc..) on their job as a cop.
edit on 8-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Sure moonlighting is one thing but showing your face doing it on a national TV advert would be crazy.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

With that said I like the idea and think it should be expanded to be honest.

My best recollection of an officer was the one that "looked out for me" when I was living on the street.

Periodically he would check up and just ask if I was alright or needed anything. A couple times he actually intervened his fellow officers from harassing me . Once on the radio and another in person. Other times I would look up to see him suddenly nearby and concerned for my welfare.

This only took the form of pleasant greeting and how are you, can I do anything. Then he would be as quickly gone and I was left to attend my business. I might be behind a building in a dumpster or camped in my "spot". Never once did he intimidate or threaten me in any way.

To this day I think very fondly of him. The man was a true civil servant.

If police would be pleasant during the exercise of their duty and just do their duty without burdening or imparting a lesson, that would suit people fine. They don't need to prove to me how nice they are. Receiving a ticket or pinch is not a pleasant matter, but can be as pleasant as possible under the circumstances.

Those are good cops.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: andr3w68
Well, in a country where police are becoming increasingly more violent and less respective of our rights on a daily basis, its sometimes hard to think of these men and women as human beings. Every once in a while officers show that they can have a humorous side. In this video officers in California are pulling people over, and then giving them ice cream. Yes, I said ice cream, and no, it doesn't come with a ticket.

My only question is, how much did the officers get to make this, and where is my expletive ice cream.

Source - Huffington Post

What better way to pull you over without a reason. Offer something. Then when they smell pot or see anything suspicious your screwed.
Firepiston

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
A better approach would be for cops to set up a stand/booth advertising free icecream and let drivers decide if they want to pull over for a treat rather than pulling them over like criminals. They have the right idea but implemented it poorly.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Oh, great now treat humans like dogs.
What a good little human, here have a treat.

Yeah no thanks I sure wouldn't want a cop pulling me over just to give me a "treat". Would if they cost somebody there job or something because they thought its such a great idea to randomly pull peeps over just to hand out treats. I mean im sure there are better ways to make the police seem like they really care about us. They could set up a community thing where they can mingle with us regular folks and pretend like they care and feel better about themselves.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: whitewave
A better approach would be for cops to set up a stand/booth advertising free icecream and let drivers decide if they want to pull over for a treat rather than pulling them over like criminals. They have the right idea but implemented it poorly.

There have been a few cases where cops were pulling people over for being "good drivers" and giving them certificates for various things and a "good job."

The problems with this, even if meant well, are outlined as I posted above.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So even when they try to do a nice thing they just end up abusing their power and do corrupt things (advertise is not part of the job)

Im not really mad or anything i just find funny the irony

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lichter daraus
Oh, great now treat humans like dogs.
What a good little human, here have a treat.
Yeah no thanks I sure wouldn't want a cop pulling me over just to give me a "treat". Would if they cost somebody there job or something because they thought its such a great idea to randomly pull peeps over just to hand out treats. I mean im sure there are better ways to make the police seem like they really care about us. They could set up a community thing where they can mingle with us regular folks and pretend like they care and feel better about themselves.

LOL. "Treats" are just snacks, not kibbles-n-bits. Could refer to popcorn, cookies, etc.
Pulling people over to hand out snacks IS an abuse of power no matter how well intentioned. There are any number of things cops could do to improve public relations but this publicity stunt wasn't it. They get an "E" for effort.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join