It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another fun video

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

You can develop much better countermeasures if you know what it can do without them.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Maybe they just want to play

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You can develop much better countermeasures if you know what it can do without them.

Fair enough but the Strela would be a known quantity no? I mean they’ve been kicking around since the 60s and I’m sure that we’ve had examples far before then.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If it's a Strela. The Chinese QW-2, which is a more recent missile looks a lot like a Strela, but is more advanced.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Edit: probably not true as it says Sidewinder air to ground missile, sidewinders are air to air only right ?

Yes. Mostly.

There are the old stories about attacks on trains, trucks on Uncle Ho's trail, and a ship or two. The -9X has a limited ground attack ability. The Sidearm was an ARM (anti-radiation missile) that was basically a rebuilt Sidewinder (hence, Side-ARM).

The navy is really pushing "triple-threat" solutions that will fit into a standard VLS cell (they want BMD, SAM, SSM capability with one loadout), and the Airforce has a similar (but not nearly avid) interest in missiles which can be used against air or surface targets.

But yeah, the story is just fun BS

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If it's a Strela. The Chinese QW-2, which is a more recent missile looks a lot like a Strela, but is more advanced.

Well played sir you got my searching down exactly what MANPAD it is and after obsessing over minor details of said missile I had pretty well nailed it down to being the the Strela and then I got confirmation and found out what the point of the launch was. It’s testing working arounds like those that have been used in Syria bypassing the need for a hard to find and limited life thermal batteries, hence the the line going into the search seeker, which I had thought was odd.

mobile.twitter.com...

Interesting stuff

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Pilot lands perfectly doing a landing at Bristol Airport in 40kt winds

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

There may be some truth to that the traffic police that come into my work were told to never point the laser at planes especially the raf as it can jam them.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

There may be some truth to that the traffic police that come into my work were told to never point the laser at planes especially the raf as it can jam them.

That doesn’t sound quite right if their jets aren’t hardened against a speedgun’s emissions then something is very wrong.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It's not so much a problem with "jamming" as the fact that X-band is also used for missile-guidance. So it could drive the RWR and related systems nuts. So the part about stray signals being detected and classified as a threat by the computer isn't necessarily bollocks.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

It's not so much a problem with "jamming" as the fact that X-band is also used for missile-guidance. So it could drive the RWR and related systems nuts. So the part about stray signals being detected and classified as a threat by the computer isn't necessarily bollocks.

Fair enough.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Sorry totally didn't see this reply. I think it was more the plane could jam the laser gun rather than the plane being affected at all.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Short and sweet

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

funny how them hauling two MOPs adds up with their official max loadout

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight
I've always wondered if when an aircraft drops all of its ordinance at once does it effect the aircraft straight after release. I notice in the video when they drop the B-2 climbs slightly

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

You're releasing quite a bit of weight.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Pop quiz time. Who can point out what's "wrong" about the AV-8B in this video?

edit on 12/23/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/23/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

considering it is more than doubles in weight when loaded down 158,000/376,000lbs with fuel(167,000) and bombs. that leaves allot of weight to drop quickly.

obviously the computers compensate but the numbers are impressive

16x 2000lb bombs is like dropping 16 cars of weight and depending on the mission that could happen rather quickly

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok ok I get it, it was a stupid question to ask lol but that's what I'm here for

As for the AV-8B i haven't a clue. One thing is for sure I forget what an lovely aircraft that is quite sad the UK got rid of their Harriers

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join