It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another fun video

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

that JATO take off was impressive i cant imagine how loud that is in real life. the guys in the F-18s looks like the almost touched their wing tips on the canopy of the rear guy a few times could just have been the way it was shot.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

They've bumped many times over the years, in just about all their airframes. The most recent was when the Thunderbirds were visiting earlier this year.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Some major cross winds in Düsseldorf and a crazy landing for the passengers

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Never seen this video before.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

New stealth fighter.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

I see Iran's stealth fighter program has advanced to flight testing...

In all seriousness, part of me has always dreamed of building a homebuilt low-RCS aircraft, just to see how low you could get it with a rudimentary understanding of stealth shaping some basic Rutan-style construction techniques, and a meticulous-enough attention to detail.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
"I feel like I'm forgetting something......"

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What would be the consequences of not having flaps down? Simple not enough air flow to give lift?
Sorry another wonderful simple question from that any aviation geek should know, flaps have always confused me. Is it a case of they just provide greater lift at slower speed by increasing the wings surface area?

I'm guessing the result if the pilot didn't extend flaps it wouldn't of got lift and simply ran off the runway

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Speaking of running off the runway video of a Russian Tu-22 backfire running off the runway after a failed takeoff. What I was surprised with is how well the landing gear stood up against the rough terrain once it went off the runway. As far as I'm aware all the crew survived this

edit on 12-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

No flaps and slats means a much longer and faster takeoff roll, and much more speed to stay airborne once you're up in the air.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So using flaps makes the take off shorter by increasing the surface area of the wing which increases more lift, using flaps on landing provides the landing speed to be lower but giving the aircraft more lift at a slower speed. Sorry I really should read up one some general aviation knowledge thanks though for being patient with me

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Yeah, the flaps provide more lift at slower speeds. For most takeoffs, aircraft don't go full flaps, they usually set some portion of full flap deflection, mostly because of how much more drag is induced by the flaps.

And yes, they change the shape of the wing giving a longer chord length, which usually equates to more lift. Because a launching aircraft is pretty heavy, they need to keep drag and thrust optimized for takeoff.

For landings, max flaps are usually OK because of the energy of the aircraft that can be managed. In many cases, the flaps help to bring the aircraft down to speed with the increased drag.

A no-flap takeoff will generally take more runway to get airborne and require higher speeds, thus making it kind of unsafe.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania
Thank you!

For someone who loves anything about anything that flies you would of thought I'd known this, technically I had an idea of how they work but not an in depth idea

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

You also have slats on the front of the wing that extend down on larger aircraft. Some fighters have a variation on slats, but they don't extend down nearly as much as they do on larger aircraft. Slats are only designed for low speed operation, and if deployed at higher speeds, can cause a nasty oscillation that can and has hurt people in the cabin.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yourself and others are a fountain of knowledge and ATS should be grateful I think I've learnt more in the past 7 years I've been on here than I have my whole life watching documentaries and reading books

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Slats are interesting. They're generally the same on aircraft now, but depending on the type, older aircraft have really weird slats.

Here's a KC-135:

The little bit next to the outboard engine operates as a slat for them.

KC-10:

As with other current large aircraft, the entire leading edge extends down to operate as the slat.

F-16:

The outer leading edge drops to serve as a slat on the Viper.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Ooohhh thats bad...
Heres Kenyas new Fighter Prototype LOL..

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Looks like I've found a new item for the bucket list. Axalp airshow show in the Swiss mountains and its to be known they fire live rounds above your head I'm not sure if they still fire live rounds. To get to the spot it's an hour or twos walking to get on top of the mountain peaks eks. Anyway here's a video with aircraft firing live rounds

edit on 16-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
this is old but still neat

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join