It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French optical sights found on rpg's in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
According to a recent book published this year called Treachery, French optical sights have been found in Iraq on rpg's that enhance the accuracy of the weapon. The name of the company that made the sight is not mentioned in the book. Does anybody know who the exact manufacturer for this add-on is? I want to know because some people in the US are in denial that our supposed ally sold tons of military equipment to Saddam, with little regard as to how that technology was being put to use.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cobol
According to a recent book published this year called Treachery, French optical sights have been found in Iraq on rpg's that enhance the accuracy of the weapon. The name of the company that made the sight is not mentioned in the book. Does anybody know who the exact manufacturer for this add-on is? I want to know because some people in the US are in denial that our supposed ally sold tons of military equipment to Saddam, with little regard as to how that technology was being put to use.

umm dude because a french company gave them tech means the country is bad?
come on!
the US has given tech to terrorists all over the world or to rogue nations because it helps thier influence in the area.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
EVERYBODY has sold weapons to Saddam, The germans for instance supplied large amountss of chemical precursors for poisonous gasses during the iran-irak war, the Netherlands knew it, but kept queit and shipped it for them, also we sold optical sights, also we kinda sold the bomb to pakistan...

The problem is shortterm greed, making some ez bucks, not acknowlediging that the stinger you sold yesterday to Afghani Mujahedin for use against the soviets, might be used tomorrow by the same Mujahedin now being member of Al-Quaida against the salesman..

Clearly there are certain lobbies that interfer with long-term healthy foreign policies.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I wouldnt worry to much about the French supporting Saddam. If I were going to stress over something, it would be the fact that the CIA trained Osama bin imabitch. Not only that, but the CIA supplied him with millions of dollars worth of munitions.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have just one link to show. This demonstrates that usa was biggest suplier of war technology to iraq.

blaim france u hippocrites

-ap

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The response I am getting is about typical of what I expected. Yes, I know that some of you think the USA is the evil empire, etc. All I really want to know is if this story is true, and if anyone knows what
French company is producing these optical sights to improve the rpg's the russians sold to Saddam.Thank you.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Could be why France did not invade Iraq? They couldn've been stolen? Dealed to them by a fence?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
Could be why France did not invade Iraq? They couldn've been stolen? Dealed to them by a fence?

jeez come on dont jump to conclusions. just because there was thier tech there doesnt mean that it means THAT country gave them the tech.
the companies deal with a client who sometimes sells them onto another country.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The US supplied Saddam with all his weapons and youre moaning about some sights on an RPG, unbelievable.

Its amazing the lengths people will go to to justify their agenda.

"The story of U.S. involvement with Saddam Hussein in the years before his 1990 attack on Kuwait -- which included large-scale intelligence sharing, supply of cluster bombs through a Chilean front company, and facilitating Iraq's acquisition of chemical and biological precursors -- is a topical example of the underside of U.S. foreign policy."

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
really big deal, western weapons tech is everywhere around the world, who cares who made the weapons it's the people who are using them are doing the killing.

I think we must also remember that the Soviets provided the vast majority of Saddam's weapons, even moreso than France so it really isn't fair to point the finger at those "treacherous french" when the soviets were doing far more dealings.

The list of American companies is an interesting one, and also provides an insight into that the United States blood in this is just as much as anyone elses. It was in the US and Israel's interest that Iraq won against Iran for a long time.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Saddam was an American Baby just like Bin Laden.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Text

I thought this was about weaponry, not politics.Does anyone know the name of the French company that is makng optical sights found on Russian rpg's in Iraq?
I thought the question on an another line about the FAMAS being found over there was well done and it would be great if I could get a similar answer. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's probably Thompson-CSF, or Thales, though I think the two may have merged.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Regarding who supplied the IRAQ insurgents with the sights makes no difference.

If France hadn't supplied them, then they would have got them from else where.

Its the same old story, if there is a demand for an item, then there will always be a supplier.

It happens right in your own town. You want a weapon, and i bet you could find someone who would be willing to supply.

Some people have no morals when the see the big money sign lighting up in front of them.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cobol
The response I am getting is about typical of what I expected. Yes, I know that some of you think the USA is the evil empire, etc. All I really want to know is if this story is true, and if anyone knows what
French company is producing these optical sights to improve the rpg's the russians sold to Saddam.Thank you.

Its not about the US being big and bad at all.

Its about this post being quite hypocritical. France selling some sights for RPG's would be a big deal while #loads of country's sold weapons or weapon aplicable technology to Iraq, North Korea or about every other country in the world.

Weapons sales isn't an exclusive right for the US of A or any other country. Company's specialized in weapons technology can sell it to whoever they are legaly alowed to sell to.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
*cough*Prop..*cough*

*coughcough*Propaganda*coughcough*

Come on now, folks. How can you put France on the spot? The title should look more like:

"French sights found on RPGS, sights were allegedly paid for by Saudi oil money"

No more double standards for foreign policy, PLEASE!

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
jeez come on dont jump to conclusions. just because there was thier tech there doesnt mean that it means THAT country gave them the tech.
the companies deal with a client who sometimes sells them onto another country.

Ok, ok. Probally stolen then, or as you said dealt from the company that produced them...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
French sights in Iraq -I'm not surprised. Guess who gave the argentinians figures necessary to use exocets against Britain in the Falklands.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by minimi
French sights in Iraq -I'm not surprised. Guess who gave the argentinians figures necessary to use exocets against Britain in the Falklands.

Yeah but who put sadam in power?
We did, thats right minimi we did.
The french sights in iraq are most probably selt from a middle man, aka some one who baught the gear legaly and selt them to iraq with out france knowing.
Why does everyone make a big deal of this?
How is anything to get done if we accuse each other of supplying terrorists.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
We sold to him too....

The trick then becomes proving that such "finds" are sales that occurred during the embargo. Chances are slim and none of that I bet.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join