It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Poster Child for what's wrong with Government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
After intense debate, New York Senate chooses yogurt as state snack

Yep, one hour on what the official "snack" of the state should be. But, alas, many intelligent questions were put forth, such as -

If a pretzel were dipped in yogurt, would the pretzel also be considered a state snack?

Would lactose intolerant New York residents feel left out, or even insulted?

Would the Senate be “offending other foods that are produced and popular in the state of New York”?

What about the carrot cookie?

Would this dim the spotlight on the state’s official muffin, the apple muffin? Was Mr. Ranzenhofer maybe being a little too hasty about all this?

Did the senate know enough about its constituents’ snacking preferences? Should there be a statewide poll?

No, this was not a skit for SNL. Seriously, almost an hour debating snacks. Good to know they're spending time on such important issues - meanwhile

... the New York Senate is also still mulling over, among other things, a bill introduced four months ago that would require all police departments in the state to videotape interrogations in full. The state has had 23 wrongful convictions overturned through DNA evidence, according to the bill; in 10 of them, the innocent person falsely confessed to the alleged crime.

www.csmonitor.com...

Makes me proud to pay taxes to cover the salaries of these folks.
edit on 7-5-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Maluhia

What a folly. "Official" snack foods. Guess who's behind that?

This year they let yogurt fly.
Sooner or later its going to be Brawndo…

"Its got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes."

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Guess who's behind that?

On this forum - no guessing necessary!

Unfortunately, that freight train is full speed ahead. I just wish stories like this would at least get some attention so that even if people don't "get" what's behind it, they might still get outraged at the colossal waste of time and money government is. Might be a start.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maluhia
a reply to: intrptr

Guess who's behind that?

On this forum - no guessing necessary!

Unfortunately, that freight train is full speed ahead. I just wish stories like this would at least get some attention so that even if people don't "get" what's behind it, they might still get outraged at the colossal waste of time and money government is. Might be a start.

It is insanity almost at it`s finest, except for the senate, congress, the judicial branch, DND, the state department, the executive branch, DHS, TSA, etc. I am not quite sure where the stupidity and waste stops LOL S&F to help you bump this retarded process.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yes, and take all those government branches and agencies and multiply them by the many states engaging in the same lunacy. The waste of time and money is staggering.

edit on 8-5-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

It takes forever for them to do stupid stuff like this. However when the need for billions in the name of "Defense" arises, you watch how quick they all agree and sign the bill.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
They spend more time and consideration on nonsense like this than do with things that actually impact the day to day lives of people.

I doubt there was this much debate when NY enacted the asinine SAFE Act.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Well there is only one thing we must do. Create more regulations or an oversight committee to make sure this doesn't happen again.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

It takes forever for them to do stupid stuff like this. However when the need for billions in the name of "Defense" arises, you watch how quick they all agree and sign the bill.

Yeah, but the most retarded request by these assclowns is that you have to "pass it before you can read it."

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Can we please get the ICBMs flying already? This society is so beyond fixing. Burn it ALL and if there's anything left, shoot it in the head. Let nature take it from there.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I guess they assume everybody likes yogurt.
Bleeech!

Not in my province!

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Chuck Schumer Engineers USDA Greek Yogurt Subsidy

The New York senator helps land a sweetheart deal for a politically-connect yogurt company.

Abby Wisse Schachter | July 31, 2013

Also

The answer is because a Democratic senator (Schumer) working with a successful and politically-correct business (Chobani) exerted as much pressure as they could on a willing USDA. Chobani spent at least $80,000 on lobbyists and that was after Schumer had started his Greek-yogurt campaign with the USDA. And remember too that Greek-style yogurt has already been touted as “one of the best private sector market opportunities upstate New York has seen in 30, 40 years,” declared Gov. Andrew Cuomo last year. So of course he was happy about the USDA announcement. “It is a win-win for the state, exposing our students to a nutritional product and expanding the marketplace for Greek yogurt producers and suppliers in New York State,” Cuomo said. About other private sector opportunities in New York, like say, extracting natural gas from the Southern Tier, well, he’s been quite a bit more recalcitrant, with the moratorium on drilling remaining in place for more than half a decade.

reason.com...

There's your answer, OP!

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

And when that thriving Chobani relationship turns NY into a toxic dump, what will they say then?

The straining process used to make Greek yogurt products creates a natural byproduct called acid whey, which contains lactose, lactic acid from the fermentation and a small amount of dairy proteins and milk salts like calcium. If you’ve ever opened up the product, you will notice some of the whey still topping the cup. That’s because it’s healthy to eat within certain amounts. The rest is removed, and particular care must be taken with its disposal.

Unlike the whey produced from some other dairy products, acid whey isn't nearly as useful as a by product. You can't use it in livestock feed, for example, although small amounts can be resold to farmers for use as a protein supplement and some can be used as fertilizer. The main problem is that the current levels of Greek yogurt production are making more acid whey than can be used.

McWilliams is a food and agriculture writer as well as a history professor at Texas State University. He argues that, “Anything is potentially toxic. But the acid whey that's a byproduct of the Greek yogurt industry is, at the level at which it's produced and disposed, toxic enough to rob aquatic ecosystems of enough oxygen to harm fish and other species.”

Of course, there's a pig farmer claiming his pigs can and would guzzle the stuff, but with the pig diarrhea virus out there, how many pigs do we have to guzzle acid whey these days?

And until then, an acid whey leak can be devastating to river eco-systems.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

The Safe Act? Just less than 30 minutes

There's the answer. Rammed it through they did.

www.syracuse.com...

edit on 8-5-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I bet Schumer got more than a free lifetime supply of yogurt for his efforts!

From your article:

Greek yogurt may be high in protein, but so are a lot of other, less expensive and less politically-connected food products. Adding Chobani to the school lunch program is just a fat-lot of government cronyism

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Chobani spent at least $80,000 on lobbyists and that was after Schumer had started his Greek-yogurt campaign with the USDA. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

From my original source.

Yeah, Chuck made bank!

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maluhia
After intense debate, New York Senate chooses yogurt as state snack

Yep, one hour on what the official "snack" of the state should be. But, alas, many intelligent questions were put forth, such as -

Wait, didn't you get the memo? New York State Senate is financially backed by Big Diary... what do you live under a rock? I don't see why you even bothered making this thread. YOU elect these people. Don't complain, DO SOMETHING!

Makes me proud to pay taxes to cover the salaries of these folks.

Then stop paying taxes. Simple. Form your own government. Form your own country. I say to you Americans, DO SOMETHING!

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: iosolomon

Ummm, our only hope is to convince someone that yogurt is clearly racist because it's white, and by someone I mean Al Sharpton.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Unbelievable waste of time on something so effin pointless. How about spend that 1hr doing anything productive?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ummm, our only hope is to convince someone that yogurt is clearly racist because it's white, and by someone I mean Al Sharpton.

Lol. What if they used a "diverse" yogurt? (like a mixture of chocolate, yellow, red, and white, and a few other colors)?

new topics

top topics

join