It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food worker strike about to go global

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
Where I live, in a small town, bank tellers don't make near that much. $10 starting pay. Fast food workers should not make more than they do.

Explain to me why a bank teller should make more money?

In the job I'm in now I deal with money all day. Counting it,balancing it and being responsible for it.

And no,I don't work at a bank.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

You think they deserve to make $15 an hour?

I know they sometimes do a lot of work. The ones that last go on to better things. That's where the real money is.

Not someone taking my order or microwaving a burger.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc
Why bother paying them at all?

FFS that's my opinion in a nutshell.

I work. A lot. And hard. I build and remodel homes for a living. I make just North of $15.00. You honestly have the audacity to claim that a bunch of slovenly, unwashed mouth-breathers and the slop they serve is somehow equivalent to my skilled labor that I've learned?

To put it in perspective; if I screw up, your house caves in. If they screw up your ass falls out for a few hours.

Remember this conversation when your roofer wants $100 an hour, an electrician demands $150 an hour and it costs $200 to change your oil. Seriously, you've got to be #ing retarded to believe that honestly SKILLED laborers will let some schmuck that's missing some chromosomes even so much as flirt with equaling their pay scale.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx
a reply to: catt3

If there were "plenty of jobs" like you describe then there wouldnt be so many college gradtuates working at McDonalds.

Here's to wishing one of those college graduates that work at mickey D's will get my order right the next time I drive through. I thought they taught you to speak english much better than that. I find it incredibly difficult to get an order done correctly especially when the register in which they take the order says BIGMAC right on it. I am sure they built this kind of mistake proof register for the college graduates unnecessarily. Since I order a number 4 there must be some issue a BA holder can't grasp.

I would recommend anyone who thinks it's so easy to pay a minimum wage fast food worker $15.00 an hour should get themselves a Micky D's and do it. Don't talk a good game, go out and play, get involved start your own franchise then come back here and let us know what it's like, I will be the first to listen. I say give those college students 40 hours a week at $15.00 an hour, take care of their Obama Care, match SS, pay the comp ins, and report ASAP.

The restaurant will cost you about a million dollars or more, 15 employees to train at $15.00 hr. with taxes, ins etc. you can make it about $21.00 hr or $315.00 hr or $12,600 by Friday. With the payment on the store mortgage being nice about 10K month and the employee's salaries, that should about $15,000.00 on Friday or 3,000 happy meals. Simplistic yes, and these are only part of the expenses.

After 35 years of self employment I discovered all too often I was working to keep my workers working, while they had work making money I was busy keeping them that way and not making a penny. The pressure and responsibility of employees was too much I worried about them more than my family. I was never so happy until I decided to just keep myself busy working making money. My pay went through the roof, and my work load was easy to handle. Any college boy can do it, put a toolbox in the back of your truck, live like a pauper and get to work. In America anyone can do it, take the risk. Then when some smart ass minimum wage worker wants $15.00 hr you can figure out a way to pay for it. I say this as serious as a heart attack you can do it, and nothing would make me happier than to see you do it and be successful.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrinkMoreWater

Where I live, in a small town, bank tellers don't make near that much. $10 starting pay. Fast food workers should not make more than they do.

I never understood why people make that argument. If fast food workers start making 15, it will effectively raise the minimum wage to 15.

And prices will all go up to match, so nothing will be gained.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: catt3

Raising the prices would not add much to price, less than 20% of McDonalds revenue goes towards paying the employees, on personal franchises it is up to third of total costs.

Someone even calculated what would be the new price, but I can not find it right now, although it was not much. Roughly a dollar raise to a big mac.

I personally would rather pay the dollar more, than take the cheaper stuff on the expense of the employees.
edit on 8-5-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Some points I'd like to make.

-Fast food places are usually run by franchise owners who make (in many cases) LESS than 15.00 dollars an hour.

-Where I live, the economy is so good, they are paying 20 dollars an hour for fast food workers because they can't hire enough people fast enough! But you have to have a good economy first, in order to have that type of situation.

-Finally this point; has our economy sunk so low that a major issue is competitive wages in the fast-food industry? Why have we totally ignored engineering, architecture, the sciences, big careers that have big salaries? Have we given up trying to be a major player in the market of high salary careers?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I tend to disagree.

If higher wages that don't necessarily reflect "market price" were to stimulate the economy, then you would think businesses would have already done that.

Market price for almost every job is 0. If there weren't laws against it, capitalism would be the first to reinstate slavery. Slaves can still fill skilled positions.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I completely agree with that. McDonalds shouldn't be your career. It is supposed to be a job to help you while you look for a job or while you are learning a skill or going to school to better yourself.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
Fire every striker and replace them with people who really need the jobs. Striking for $15/hr is just ridiculous. If they were a little more reasonable I could maybe understand, but who really thinks that a burger flipper deserves to make $15/hr?

The thing that people really don't get is that while a company is paying their staff less than a living wage, YOU are subsidizing their income through higher taxes.

The corporation pays less than a livable wage while making itself billions in profits and funneling it out of the country to a tax haven, then that low paid worker claims support from the state and funding for their kids that YOU have to pay for.

The only ones winning in this are the corporations. You are paying more in tax to support low paid workers, and the workers are forced to take support because they are not earning enough to live.

You are paying three times.

You're paying high prices for trash food.
You're paying to cover the cost of the taxes the corporation should be paying but isn't.
Then you're paying again to support the employees that corporation should be giving a living wage to.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

And prices will all go up to match, so nothing will be gained.

This isn't true, because the costs aren't made up entirely from wages. You can increase the wage 100% without increasing the costs 100%. As a result the product doesn't have to go up 100%. In large corporations the cost of labor isn't really all that high. Fast Food CEO's have even said in the past they could cover a 100% wage increase while only increasing product costs by 1%. In practice in Australia they only had to increase the cost by 10% which resulted in 82% more buying power at the low end of the wage spectrum.

In reality most of the cost of a wage increase isn't even going to cost the consumer more because we get it back in lower taxes as a result of lower welfare spending.
edit on 8-5-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
Fire every striker and replace them with people who really need the jobs. Striking for $15/hr is just ridiculous. If they were a little more reasonable I could maybe understand, but who really thinks that a burger flipper deserves to make $15/hr?

So you support the government subsidizing employees because these multi million dollar corporations choose to pay the ceo multi millions of dollars and not a liveable wage for the employee?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
-Finally this point; has our economy sunk so low that a major issue is competitive wages in the fast-food industry? Why have we totally ignored engineering, architecture, the sciences, big careers that have big salaries? Have we given up trying to be a major player in the market of high salary careers?

A friend of mine is an engineer, he holds 6 degrees (2 bachelors, 4 associates). He just got a new job after trying to be employed for 3 years. He's delivering pizzas 20 hours a week.

The jobs quite frankly do not exist, low skilled minimum wage jobs are all that's left. That's what happens when you move over to a service sector economy.
edit on 8-5-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I think we know the same guy. Engineer with six degrees..... Dumber than a box of rocks. Supprised he doesn't wear shoes shoes with velcro straps, you know, because knots are confusing.

Dumb SOB can't figure out an automatic car wash. But hey, he's got six degrees and is not afraid to tell ya about it! Pay the man!

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I am one who appreciates anyone that works for a living. I also don't refer to fast food work as "non skilled" labor. There is a certain degree of "skill" required to perform the job efficently.

That being said, $15/HR really? Most police departments/fire departments start off officers/fire fighters at anywhere from $13-$16/HR (Except maybe huge cities NYC,Chicago). Hell, I have been an officer for 10 years, have a degree and am only up to $19/HR.

With most departments transitioning to a 401k style retirement what would be the incentive to continue to do the job? Why not just go work in fast food. You would make similar money without the risk, liability and less stress.

Is pay going to be raised across the board?

Love of the job can only take you so far.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightstalker78

I know they sometimes do a lot of work. The ones that last go on to better things. That's where the real money is.

Okay so what boxes do you have to tick to earn $15 an hour? What boxes do you have to tick to earn $50 an hr? How can someone be so unskilled and useless that they deserve to make less than what it takes to take care of themselves?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton
FFS that's my opinion in a nutshell.

I work. A lot. And hard. I build and remodel homes for a living. I make just North of $15.00. You honestly have the audacity to claim that a bunch of slovenly, unwashed mouth-breathers and the slop they serve is somehow equivalent to my skilled labor that I've learned?

Mate, who are you determine how worthless they are? I dont particular rate your skill of building and remodeling house's and i would flat out refuse your $15 dollar an hour charge while laughing at your audacity of claiming what you're worth per hour.

To put it in perspective; if I screw up, your house caves in. If they screw up your ass falls out for a few hours.

You might not be in the same line of work as a fast food worker but that gives you NO RIGHT to determine what they're worth because you have more responsibility in your work. There's nothing wrong with paying a burger flipper enough money to TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES WITHOUT CLAIMING OFF THE STATE. That is the result of a productive and healthy society, where people are not enslaved to jobs, they can save money and move forward in their lives.

Remember this conversation when your roofer wants $100 an hour, an electrician demands $150 an hour and it costs $200 to change your oil. Seriously, you've got to be #ing retarded to believe that honestly SKILLED laborers will let some schmuck that's missing some chromosomes even so much as flirt with equaling their pay scale.

Remember that mcdonalds and other fast food restaurants are making billions globally every year. $15 an hour will not kill off their company's. It will stop workers claiming off the state, which means more money going to where it needs to, Schools/hospitals/infrastructure etc.

END CORPORATE WELFARE NOW.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc

originally posted by: nightstalker78

Okay so what boxes do you have to tick to earn $15 an hour? What boxes do you have to tick to earn $50 an hr? How can someone be so unskilled and useless that they deserve to make less than what it takes to take care of themselves?

What it comes down to is - some people NEED to have a group of people to look down on. Can't change that.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
They got full time employment when they applied for the job and were accepted. Now what? They own the place and set the wage rate? LOL

Yes. I am the hiring manager where I work!! LOL

You are right, instead of applying for a job where you work (and they will be treated terribly for less than enough to live on), they should have robbed you on payday. You are a very smart man. Glad we agree.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
I am one who appreciates anyone that works for a living. I also don't refer to fast food work as "non skilled" labor. There is a certain degree of "skill" required to perform the job efficently.

That being said, $15/HR really? Most police departments/fire departments start off officers/fire fighters at anywhere from $13-$16/HR (Except maybe huge cities NYC,Chicago). Hell, I have been an officer for 10 years, have a degree and am only up to $19/HR.

With most departments transitioning to a 401k style retirement what would be the incentive to continue to do the job? Why not just go work in fast food. You would make similar money without the risk, liability and less stress.

Is pay going to be raised across the board?

Love of the job can only take you so far.

Dude, you got screwed all your life while some rich guy raked in the money off of all the people you put into the slave trade (courtesy of your tax dollars, coming out of your tiny check). That doesn't mean you should perpetuate the cycle. You should at least speak out against it.

You risk your life to keep rich people safe and they laugh at you and call you stupid behind your back. It's the muthafukn world!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join