It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food worker strike about to go global

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: catt3
a reply to: DrinkMoreWater
Do you understand economics at all? Have you ever ran a business? Just questions I would like to know the answers to.

I understand a certain economic system pretty well, the only morally acceptable one - capitalism, and i have a basic understanding of other economic systems. Whether or not I run or have ran a business in the past does not concern you and does not pertain to the discussion.

Further, the experiences of business owners being strangled and extorted by banks and rich people does not mean a higher minimum wage, one that meets the basic cost of living, would hurt small business in the long run.

How much do you need to know about economics to know that food stamps are a subsidized wage and that the "job creators" are the consumers? It would appear that many rich (although not successful) business owners haven't figured it out yet.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrinkMoreWater
a reply to: xuenchen

If only it could really happen.

Minimum wage should be over 15 an hour if adjusted for inflation.

It would stimulate Americas economy, obviously, and raise many people out of poverty.

All workers should strike for it. We would get it, but it would require ALL low-paid workers to strike.

I tend to disagree.

If higher wages that don't necessarily reflect "market price" were to stimulate the economy, then you would think businesses would have already done that.

Depends on how you view things.

Going on the assumption that all businesses make big money may not give the desired hypothetical result.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

It would stimulate Americas economy, obviously, and raise many people out of poverty.

All workers should strike for it. We would get it, but it would require ALL low-paid workers to strike.

I tend to disagree.

If higher wages that don't necessarily reflect "market price" were to stimulate the economy, then you would think businesses would have already done that.

Depends on how you view things.

Going on the assumption that all businesses make big money may not give the desired hypothetical result.

Depends on how people react. If everyone reacts based on their own *immediate* self-interest, there will be a short term loss for small business. If the prisoner's dilemma were utilized in favor of the workers, there would be no immediate short term loss and only long term gain - and probably more of it - for everyone, the ruling class included.

But for the workers - it's just the right thing to do regardless. It's bad out here for a lot of families and it is not their fault for *insert vague prideful assertion here.*

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think we all agree that 8.50 an hour is not a high enough wage to live on. The real problem here is that fast food jobs and the like should be for elderly people supplementing their retirement, or high school kids first getting into the job market. 8.50 an hour is enough for gas money and date money, or for supplemental income.

There are not enough jobs out there for people to get REAL experience. Unless you go to college, and then know someone or have an incredible track record your basically screwed. The problem is in the job market, and its not getting any better.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: andr3w68
I think we all agree that 8.50 an hour is not a high enough wage to live on. The real problem here is that fast food jobs and the like should be for elderly people supplementing their retirement, or high school kids first getting into the job market. 8.50 an hour is enough for gas money and date money, or for supplemental income.

That is a false way of thinking anyways. Everyone who works and keeps a low paying job works hard and puts up with endless BS for absolutely no *good* reason. There are exceptions to that rule, but they are very rare. It's not about who the jobs are for, it is about the work done at the job and the time and energy invested - and you are not treated well as a fast food worker. ALL full time workers need to be able to provide for a family.

Fast food is terrible, though, and should be outlawed in it's current form. It has lead to countless deaths. If fast food in it's current form is not outlawed, 1 hour lunches should be federal law.
edit on 7-5-2014 by DrinkMoreWater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Where I live, in a small town, bank tellers don't make near that much. $10 starting pay. Fast food workers should not make more than they do.
edit on 7-5-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
Where I live, in a small town, bank tellers don't make near that much. $10 starting pay. Fast food workers should not make more than they do.

I never understood why people make that argument. If fast food workers start making 15, it will effectively raise the minimum wage to 15.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
www.arisplex.com... apparently being done at a hotel in china as well as even at slave labor prices ($1.60 an hour) a robot seems to be cheaper and sucessfull alternative to human employees

How it all Works – Once an order is placed a human press a button and Robots in the Kitchen set to work making the dish. Ingredients are then loaded by humans into special cabinets that can be accessed by the robot chefs. Once the meal is cooked, it is placed on a conveyor belt that delivers the item to the delivery/waiter robots. At this point, a human punches in the table number of where the food is going and places the meal on the waiter robot’s tray; the robot then follows a track on the floor to a designated table.
they even throw in delivery.thinking of it from a ceo's prospective using robots has distinct advantages over human employees as robots dont need health care,sick leave,maternity leave,can be made to work on holidays,legally dont have to be paid(but need maintenance and limited human interaction)dont have unions and at this stage of the game cant strike,and if equipped at set up right can operate 24 hours a day expanding productivity(more valid for other jobs like manufacturing then food service)

guess if low skilled labor wants to strike they will have to be wary of being replaced by robots

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If I were the boss, and my fast food employees went on strike, I'd cut their pay, I'd cut their hours, and I wouldn't allow them to drive to work anymore. But hey, that's just me.

Since when did working at McDonalds become full-time career employment?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
If I were the boss, and my fast food employees went on strike, I'd cut their pay, I'd cut their hours, and I wouldn't allow them to drive to work anymore. But hey, that's just me.

Since when did working at McDonalds become full-time career employment?

Since when did full time employment not mean FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT?

I swear, people just must not fear God. It's all I can come up with. Either that or they don't understand the human condition.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
They got full time employment when they applied for the job and were accepted. Now what? They own the place and set the wage rate? LOL

Yes. I am the hiring manager where I work!! LOL

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Simple minds looking at complex problems. You know you country is screwed when the unskilled workers demand higher and higher pay.

I made a prediction 6 months ago that anyone making under 14 dollars and hour is screwed. They will not be able to afford food and housing in the next 2 years. It seems I was right on the money.

And anyone making above this amount ask yourself what happens when the masses can not eat anymore? Truth be told if they do raise it the crash will only happen faster. We are screwed on so many levels people. If you are not a Prepper you might want to start considering it.
edit on 8-5-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have no problem with them having a decent (minimal, though it may be) wage...
I do have a problem with them giving POOR service.
Not just 'fast food', but 'decent-to-high-end' restaurants failing to deliver what was ordered...and...what was charged (meaning - PAID)...
Maybe it's just where I live (in fact, I think that is the case)...but, 8 out of 10 times - we do not get what was ordered.
Others say - "I don't leave the window 'til I've checked what's in the bags" - sorry - I rarely do... I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.
They have my money ----- I should have what was paid for...
Anyway... Cha Cha Cha...
Havin' fun all the way.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Considering the terrible service a lot of these people give, some of them don't deserve the current minimum wage, much less double it! Let them walk; there are plenty of unemployed people that will be happy to fill the jobs.

Edited to add -

I might be a little more convinced that this was about better pay if anyone pushing or this talked about raising the tipped minimum, but no one seems to care that that hasn't been raised on a good thirty years!
edit on 8-5-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Really, places like McDonald's and such can easily be fully automated.

They only hire people to give them a taste of the workforce.
They're doing people a favour giving them jobs.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: catt3

If there were "plenty of jobs" like you describe then there wouldnt be so many college gradtuates working at McDonalds.

If there were "plenty of jobs" people would just get one of those other jobs instead of fighting a fast food chain for a living wage.

The fact is that there are not many jobs to be had. What used to be considered an entry level job, now required years of experience.

This is where the problem lies, people who have no other option than to work for a wage that won't even bring them above the poverty line. They are forced to get on gov't assistance while working, keeping the chain's profit up, and the tax payers supporting the worker.

McDonald's announced Monday that it raked in $1.5 billion in profits in the third quarter, up 5 percent from last year.

The number is strikingly close to the $1.2 billion taxpayers are shelling out each year to help pay public assistance to the McDonald's workforce, according to a report released last week by the National Employment Law Project.

The echoing numbers are simply a coincidence, but underscore the immense profits that the chain continues to pull in while its workers simply struggle to afford food, medical help and housing. The public assistance McDonald's workers receive comes via food stamps, welfare, Medicaid and other federal programs, according to the NELP report.

Source

1.5 billion profit and 1.2 billion billed to the tax payers. But hey, they are just unskilled, ungrateful minimum wage workers right?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

a reply to: xDeadcowx

I get by on $20,000 but I am retired.

Do you own your own house or do you pay rent?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
How about they go to culinary school and learn how to makefood worth paying a cook $15 for.. Why should they get paid what a sushi chef makes. If they raise it by some idiotic miracle. Everyone's going to want to work fastfood. But the whole food order is going to change. This doesn't make any sense to me

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Give them their $15hr and let the price of a burger go to $10 - $15 and then see how long they have jobs. Fast food isn't a necessity.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

$10-$15 dollars for a burger?

Hahahahaha! Seriously, take your fear mongering and get out of here! What a joke of a post.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
My god, just pay the workers the workers the $15 an hour and raise the price of the products to cover it. Its not going to make people keel over. People are addicted to that #. If they have to pay a dollar more i guarantee you, THEY WILL.

Not entitled to a living wage. Not entitled to welfare. Not entitled to be treated like a human being.

You tight fisted right winged ATSer's make me laugh. You'll cling to every last penny just to ensure that "Your da man wid da skill and you DESERVE your high wages because your "contributing" by being alive."

Your whole reality is warped. These people NEED a wage rise and it wouldn't kill the company off to comply with that. Amazing that we've outlawed slavery but your more than happy to defend people's right to financially exploit those who are in desperate need of work, when were living in a society of the dwindling middle class and a severe lack of opportunity and social mobility. How are these workers ever going to take care of themselves when you will not give them a proper wage to do so?

Why bother paying them at all?
edit on 8-5-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join