It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals Call Protestors “Racists” for Holding Up the American Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Must be a slow far right propaganda news day if you're dredging the bottom to come up with this gem.

Source links to another site that eventually links to Daily Caller opinion piece that is completely bereft of facts or context. It's like an f'd up game of "telephone." Also, it's nice that three tweets from people with unknown political affiliations turns into "Liberals Call Protestors."

Here's what happened.

By all accounts, the school had recently been suffering from racial tensions and gang-related fighting. Cinco de Mayo in 2009, there were some students upset to see other students with a Mexican flag and a group of white students approached them. Profanities were exchanged and an impromptu American flag was erected in a tree in the quad to shouts of "USA" while more profanities and threats were exchanged. Following this, the school apparently banned Mexican flags the subsequent Cinco de Mayo and in 2010, a group of 5 white kids decided to wear "American flag" t-shirts which angered the Mexican (ethnically speaking) kids who had been forbidden from displaying Mexican flag. The administration was notified that there might be trouble so they took proactive action by asking three of the kids wearing the "American flag" t-shirts to turn their shirts inside out or to go home with an excused absence that would not be counted against them. The other two were wearing some sort of MMA shirts or something and were actually sent back to class.

The parents sued the school and lost in 2011 because well, the administration had every right to intercede and diffuse the situation. Fast forward to Tea Party groups hanging out in front of the school with American flags on Cinco de Mayo to start some s#.

I see people with Italian flags on Columbus day, Irish flags and "kiss me I'm Irish" tees on St. Patrick's day, Puerto Rican flags in Puerto Rican Day Parades. I don't get all butthurt and drag out my American flag t-shirt in protest (besides I might already be wearing my "Kiss me I'm Irish" t-shirt) because I'm not a hormonal teenager with parents who are likely moronic Tea Party douche bags.

Took me 5 minutes to figure this out. If you're not getting paid by some of these dubious sources of hate mongering divisive propaganda drivel, you should be.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I didn't know Mexicans were a race. Are people really dumb enough to think this ought to stick? An Acquaintance of mine is Mexican, he looks Irish, his grand parents are Irish, but he's Mexican. Genetically he is very close to myself. My ethnicity is from the British Isles, yet if I say I dislike Mexicans, I'm somehow racist?

Mexican is a nationality, not a race. To find disagreement with a person of a certain nationality because of that nationality is prejudice, but not racist.

Do people just not understand their own language anymore or have I taken crazy pills?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Wow, really. Read the op as many times as needed until you notice where it says exactly why they were waving the U.S. flag.

Back on topic: I see nothing wrong with what they did.
Its a sad day when you can't fly your own damn flag in your damn country.
Well my grandfathers didn't fight in ww2 for nothing, and my dad didn't serve in Vietnam for nothing.
I will fly my American flag in MY country were ever and whenever I damn well please.

Peace

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Your source (right wing news) should be called right WHINE news.
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And of course that source links to another source that links to another source.

So, does that somehow justify the school board's decision to force students to wear an American Flag t-shirt backwards ?

The school board cited Hispanic gang violence as their "reasoning".

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wills120
I want to point something out here. These are not liberals in the classic sense, they are progressives. The problem in this country is not between liberals and conservatives, it's accelerating authoritarianism, collectivism, and so-called "social justice" at the hands of authoritarian progressives.

Playing the race card is the current MO for the Progressive movement. Progressives are using shame, derision, misdirection in an attempt to stifle any and all debate or twist any situation away from a common-sense solution. If we're going to stop these people, we need to focus on who and what they are: progressive authoritarians....not liberals.

I'd like to point out that this whole things started with some white kids pissed off at the sight of a Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo.

For the record, "common-sense" is usually code for "don't think too much" but heeeey, you've obviously got it all figured out as you point fingers and (ironically and hypocritically) claim, "it's the other guys who are pointing the fingers!"

Stop playing the "playing the race card" card.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

My guess is that someone in the school is using the Mexican flag for gang colors, and instead of addressing it like it needs to be addressed, the administration are cowards.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I want to point something out here. These are not liberals in the classic sense, they are progressives. The problem in this country is not between liberals and conservatives, it's accelerating authoritarianism, collectivism, and so-called "social justice" at the hands of authoritarian progressives.

Playing the race card is the current MO for the Progressive movement. Progressives are using shame, derision, misdirection in an attempt to stifle any and all debate or twist any situation away from a common-sense solution. If we're going to stop these people, we need to focus on who and what they are: progressive authoritarians....not liberals.

I'd like to point out that this whole things started with some white kids pissed off at the sight of a Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo.

For the record, "common-sense" is usually code for "don't think too much" but heeeey, you've obviously got it all figured out as you point fingers and (ironically and hypocritically) claim, "it's the other guys who are pointing the fingers!"

So I guess the Hispanic kid who was wearing the American flag is now a "white Hispanic" a la George Zimmerman so he can fit into your preconceived attitude on this?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galvatron
I didn't know Mexicans were a race. Are people really dumb enough to think this ought to stick? An Acquaintance of mine is Mexican, he looks Irish, his grand parents are Irish, but he's Mexican. Genetically he is very close to myself. My ethnicity is from the British Isles, yet if I say I dislike Mexicans, I'm somehow racist?

Mexican is a nationality, not a race. To find disagreement with a person of a certain nationality because of that nationality is prejudice, but not racist.

Do people just not understand their own language anymore or have I taken crazy pills?

Actually it's not a race, it's an ethnicity just like Irish is an ethnicity.

ethnic or ethnical (ˈɛθnɪk)

— adj
1. relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common
2. relating to the classification of mankind into groups, esp on the basis of racial characteristics
3. denoting or deriving from the cultural traditions of a group of people: the ethnic dances of Slovakia
4. characteristic of another culture: the ethnic look ; ethnic food

eth·nic·i·ty [eth-nis-i-tee] Show IPA
noun, plural eth·nic·i·ties.
ethnic traits, background, allegiance, or association.
an ethnic group: Representatives of several ethnicities were present.
Origin:
1765–75, for earlier sense; ethnic + -ity

How about option #3, you're not familiar with your own language.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

There's no race to this whole scenario. It is about not being able to express patriotism for your country, in your country, just because it happens to be another country's day of independence.

Do you think the French are barred from wearing french flags or selling them to tourists just because their neighbors in Germany are celebrating Tag der Deutschen Einheit?

Race has nothing to do with it.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Looks like the point went wayyy over your head. I was pointing out very specifically that despite being ethnically similar, if I dislike someone because of nationality, I'm somehow racist, which has nothing to do with the other two. Do you see? Either way it's prejudice, not racist.

Mexican is not an ethnicity. There are ethnic subgroups within the nation of Mexico.
edit on 7-5-2014 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: theantediluvian

So I guess the Hispanic kid who was wearing the American flag is now a "white Hispanic" a la George Zimmerman so he can fit into your preconceived attitude on this?

I don't understand what you're saying? Is an Irish kid in Boston wearing an Irish flag tee on St. Patrick's day some how not American? I think this has to do with a preconceived notion that Mexican flags coming out for Cinco de Mayo is somehow anti-American? I didn't really know what to think when I saw this topic actually, so I followed the link to the one of the most abysmal sources on the Internet, clicked through that and through the next site, found some information and read the court documents.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's all just so STUPID and PETTY! My question is "So what"? Someone got called racist. People get called a lot worse every day. What's all the crying and whining about? I get called worse right here on ATS.

Buck up. They were making SOME kind of statement. (No, it's not technically racist because Mexican isn't a race.) But they were sending a message of disapproval and they got called on it.

Jesus! What's the big deal? I have never seen a more whiny group!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I was about to post the same thing and then i saw your post.

America isnt a race even if most Americans seems to be on a different planet to the rest of the world.

Native Americans are of Mongoloid race, but seeing as they are not in control of their native land its doesn't really count.
edit on 7-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I see someone else may have found the "punch line" to all of this.

Let's see if you can find the underlying issue.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The problem is the word and the purpose of the word. Racist/Racism. Invented in the 1920s by the Russians (the term racism didn't exist before then) to politically annihilate opposition in the Ukraine. It is a political super weapon and has remained so. If you want to know for sure, just look at where it's being used. You should know that if you see the word racist, racism, race question, or anything like that in media, then there is a political agenda that is aimed against YOU that very moment.

The mere accusation can end careers, break up friends, and undermine entire socio-economic systems. Understand that using the word racist to describe a noun means to be using the most potent of libel or slander if your accusation is false.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Galvatron

www.npr.org...

eh; I know its NPR, and most reactionaries look at it as "left wing propaganda", but eh;

Racism remains a force of enormous consequence in American life, yet no one can be accused of perpetrating it without a kicking up a grand fight. No one ever says, "Yeah, I was a little bit racist. I'm sorry." That's in part because racists, in our cultural conversations, have become inhuman. They're fairy-tale villains, and thus can't be real.

There's no nuance to these public fights, as a veteran crisis manager told my colleague, Hansi Lo Wang. Someone is either a racist and therefore an inhuman monster, or they're an actual, complex human being, and therefore, by definition, incapable of being a racist.

Ta-Nehisi Coates of The Atlantic, who often writes about race, is one of several writers and thinkers who has drawn attention to this paradox:

The idea that America has lots of racism but few actual racists is not a new one. Philip Dray titled his seminal history of lynching At the Hands of Persons Unknown because most "investigations" of lynchings in the South turned up no actual lynchers. Both David Duke and George Wallace insisted that they weren't racists. That's because in the popular vocabulary, the racist is not so much an actual person but a monster, an outcast thug who leads the lynch mob and keeps *Mein Kampf *in his back pocket.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Whoa, the tea party? That is a much more conservative organization than liberal. So what the article meant to say is republicans instead of liberals. The tea party if full of conservatives, especially considering the movement was started by conservatives in the first place.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Everyday with these 'victim threads'...

Who needs a NWO or TPTB when you 'victims' divide and conquer all by yourself. Thank God I have a life.

I almost feel sorry for you, but your wounds are self-inflicted....so no pity.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As I seem to recall this story in earlier threads and periods where it was being covered, the school HAD seen issues between students on previous Cinco de Mayo days. It wasn't restricting free speech, but restricting the wearing of a symbol on one specific day, where that symbol (whatever it was in specifics) was a known factor with distruption and potential violence between students. They have every right to celebrate their Cinco de Mayo, IMO, and without someone else coming along to put it in faces that there is 'another side to the story'. Especially not in a school where neither "side" really belongs.

Heck..It's a day of celebration. Why must everything become a fight these days??

Aside from that? Hey.... there is a good argument to LET them wear them. The school was trying to save these rebels without a clue from their own stupidity. Why save them? Let them experience precisely what the school suspected and/or knew would be coming if they did it. After all....this isn't a toughie to calculate.

(Source w/ more stats)

The % of offended? Well...Whites and Hispanics are about an even split in that school, as another table further down at the source, shows. They were in 2010 when this happened originally, too.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Is the flag the thing in question here, or the anti-Mexican heritage demonstration intent behind it?

yes, the flag is the thing in question, as it's the thing that's been banned. wtf is wrong with california?

and what anti-mexican heritage demonstration? they're protesting against a stupid policy...

Were these people there the day before, or after CDM? What exactly what their purpose.

since the issue was it being "illegal" to wear an american flag shirt on may fifth, what possible reason would exist to be there the day before, or after? their stated purpose was to protest against a stupid policy

It was racist..the flag didn't make it racist, the intent behind those standing there did..

protesting against a braindead policy is "racist"?

"hey, but all I was doing was flying this pretty indian symbol of the swastika next to the jewish memorial service...can't a man just happily fly some indian symbols without being labelled a racist?!! shesh!!!"

oh jesus christ, you're seriously going to compare wanting to display the american flag, IN AMERICA, to wanting to display a f**king swastika in front of a jewish memorial?...what color is the sky on your planet?

absurdly disingenuous strawman argument.

what you said, certainly is...

But hey..keep it up. the right wing is totally winning over the youth vote with their "its totally not racist" stuff.

do you actually think, before you begin typing?
edit on 7-5-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join