It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One minute tour of all known Exoplanets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I found this hypnotic video of the currently known exoplanets (about 1776).

The video starts with those systems with planets which orbit far from their home star:

"The systems that you fly past first contain planets which takes hundreds or even thousands of years to orbit their stars, whilst by the end they take mere hours or days. Designed to give the viewer an overview of the current distribution of exoplanets."

The immediate impression for me was wow, these are what other solar systems look like.

Considering that we have just started cataloging these worlds, it seems impossible that life could only exist here on Earth.

Anyway, 1080p recommended:

What do you think? Can we really be alone?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
That's mind blowing indeed.

With regards to being alone? I highly doubt it

Peace

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ionwind

OFF TOPIC :

Sorry to crash on your thread, are you having problems to surf inside ATS?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Jesus!!!

Overwhelming....
S&F.

edit on 7-5-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Very very cool !!

1/4 of 1% of visible universe and only as far as we're able to see. Imagine the multiple zeros following that 1776 number in the totality of the universe.

If we are alone, then whatever God created it is pretty dumb. But that's just me.

S&F !

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Glad you liked it

Yes, this is a tiny fraction of the exoplanets out there. Even the star systems shown here may have more smaller planets around them.

Telescopes like the James Webb Space Telescope and future ones may be able to image some of these planets. They could do a spectral analysis and "see" what's in their atmosphere. Of course we would want a nitrogen/oxygen/water mix for our type of life.

Given the huge number of already discovered planets, it's just a matter of time before we find, and confirm, Earth like planets.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Given the huge number of already discovered planets, it's just a matter of time before we find, and confirm, Earth like planets.

Absolutely agree..from NASA, April 17th 2014..

This artist's rendering provided by NASA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 shows an Earth-sized planet dubbed Kepler-186f orbiting a star 500 light-years from Earth.

Astronomers have discovered what they say is the most Earth-like planet yet detected -- a distant, rocky world that's similar in size to our planet and exists in the Goldilocks zone where it's not too hot and not too cold for life.

www.ctvnews.ca...

I would just add that it's just a matter of time before we find, and confirm, life on other planets.

edit on 5 7 2014 by SonoftheSun because: added link

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

I agree with your agreement.

Here's a comparison between our two systems:

Kepler-186 has 5 identified planets but Kepler-186f may be a little on the Mars side hehe.

Kepler-186f should be one of the first exoplanets we look at with the next-gen space telescopes. I hope we find water, oxygen and nitrogen (good stuff for us) and not carbon dioxide or cyanide in it's atmosphere. But it's just a matter of time now...

Isn't it funny how we are talking about exo-star systems? I'm jaded already

edit on 7-5-2014 by ionwind because: (no reason given)

top topics

join