It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Albuquerque police still an issue, protesters takeover city council meeting.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There are some things that I think that everyone is missing, and I will explain.

The saddest part to this entire event is the people of Albuquerque. They elected the people to represent them in the local government, chances are that these same people have been sitting there for more than one term if not longer, including the mayor. And as we all know, politicians will lie to get those votes. And the politicians ultimately hire and put forth the guidelines that set out the policies that the police are to be under. There is more to this story than just a city that is in despair over the actions of the police, and the frustration that the people are demonstrating is that of a people who are tired.

The police and those who serve should operate on a higher standard than those they are asked to protect, beyond reproach. However, when you have no fear of being replace, have no fear that you could lose your job or your means of income for breaking the very rules and laws that you are sworn to protect, then what do you have to fear?
And if the reports are true, it is very apparent that not only the city council, the mayor and the police have reached that point, thinking that they are untouchable and above the law, and accountable to no one. And that is where the corruption starts and the decline.

The solution is going to be painful, as the police have been doing this for years, and it will take a few years to fully clean up the mess. This is a multipart solution. The first part of the solution, as painful as it is, is to remove the city government and elect new people into the position, with the understanding that they are there for 1 term, get no benefits when their term is up and will not be reelected. The new council will have to enact a law, and have it survive the lawsuits, that state that if a public official is guilty of a crime, they do not get any retirement or any sort of benefit for the years of service. The next is what is going to take time, and cost, that being hire an independent investigator. That means that all of the police force is investigated, every officer and person who works there, with the understanding that if the council is convinced of their guilt, they either leave, or go to court and it will be a trial. And at the same time, the officers who are innocent or do a good job, or even are an example of how the police should be, should be recognized and possibly promoted, along with working to regain the confidence that has been sorely eroded.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I could not agree with you more! This is the sort of action which should be taken to ensure the quality and honesty of the police personnel and officials.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidAmerican

That's a very interesting fact. Technically, the guy is right. It is discrimination. Now they have to prove that intelligence is genetic rather than everyone starting at the same point and going up from there, so it can be applied legally. The problem, of course, is that when science does prove that, if they haven't already, the one's in charge because of previous policies will be too "uninelligent" to get it, or too stubborn to care.

The ultimate catch 22.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: DeepImpactX

Leadership.

Men are made to be led. It is the way we are wired. Good leadership stops this kind of nonsense. Lazy leadership allows the inmates to run the asylum.

I have seen the same people, under different leadership, make such ridiculous improvements that it has left an impression on me for life, and changed my view on leadership in my job. Same thing applies. The officers are just humans needing to be led.

Never thought of it that way before, that's a good point

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

In ABQ, its even worse. THere, the criminals are threatening to kill the police, and many of the citizens are starting to support that crazy notion.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

In ABQ, its even worse. THere, the criminals are threatening to kill the police, and many of the citizens are starting to support that crazy notion.

Yes, I know....

I live in a small village on the west side of the Rio Grande across from Albquerque. On the west side the LEOs respect the citizens that pay their salary thru their taxes and actually try to "protect and serve"

I only cross the river into ALBQ when necessary.

And you are correct...it boils down to leadership. Albuquerque should have known better than to have elected a control freak Republican. Now they are paying for their short sidedness.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

The police union runs the show with regard to the APD, as I have been made to understand. The union does everything it can to undermine the Republican mayor (hard to believe) simply because he is Republican.

Somewhat recently an APD officer got away with 'suiciding' his wife because he preferred to sleep with numerous other women, married and otherwise, including a fellow APD officer. I don't think anyone around here believes he is innocent. I think there is a thread or two existing on that subject.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Yes, I know....

I live in a small village on the west side of the Rio Grande across from Albquerque. On the west side the LEOs respect the citizens that pay their salary thru their taxes and actually try to "protect and serve"

I only cross the river into ALBQ when necessary.

And you are correct...it boils down to leadership. Albuquerque should have known better than to have elected a control freak Republican. Now they are paying for their short sidedness.

From your politcal slant I am guessing Corrales? New Mexico needs a whole lot MORE Republican leadership to bring it in to the 21st century, my friend.

For those who don't know, New Mexico is historically democrat with regard to local politics, with some exceptions in the southern, oil- producing parts of the state. Everyone in politics (and the state for that matter) are related somehow, and corruption is the order of the day. Republicans are getting elected because people are fed up with the corruption, and it seems there is still a good amount of it here and there.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

That has been my experience in the 6 or so years I lived in New Mexico. I was everywhere from Taos to Santa Fe, Albuquerque, even Alamogordo and it all seemed very corrupt and a lot of times ass backwards. Fun fact...in NM probation officers have the right to arrest you, cuff you, charge you, and sentence you on the spot...then off to jail. They however don't have to pass the BAR or serve as a lawyer or anything. How's that for backwards.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I just looked it up to see, and it seems everywhere else the probation / parole officer makes a recommendation to the judge and it is the judge who decides what to do if it is believed someone violated the terms of their probation / parole.

So yeah, that is weird if in Albuquerque there is no judge involvement.

felonyguide.com...

edit on 7-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

All I have in this world is my word and it's always good. When I had a friend on probation there explain it to me I immediately told them to get a constitutional lawyer and fight it to the top. Its so blatenly ass backwards there that even the DMV is the MVD because in spanish thats how it would be said...the whole inverted thing. I had never experienced racism till I lived there either. Im white and in a majority hispanic state I was never really hired much of anywhere...privately I was told its cause my last name wasnt local.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join