It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can post a YT video with Chrome, but not FireFox...any ideas why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Lately, I've been having problems posting YT videos via FF when doing a thread, so I have to switch to Chrome when doing threads with a video

I can view them with no problem on FF & everything says it's up to date [Java]
Not sure what's left to check

Any suggestions?

Thanks~
snarky

[Vista]

ETA: Just did another update, and it says I have latest Java update but there are older versions that should be uninstalled and yet at the same time, it states that uninstalling them may prevent use of some functions?!?!
So, should I keep the older versions or get rid of them?

edit on 7-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Are you using Ghostery or Lightbeam as an Ad Blocker/Tracking Blocker in Firefox? If you are reconfigure and start fresh. There could also be a problem with Java or your Privacy Options under Tools --> Options.

ETA: Uninstall ALL Java and if you must, reinstall Java 7.x only.

ETA2: You can also try to uninstall Firefox and re-install it, but when you uninstall you will have to remove all the preference files as well. So to completely clear Firefox enough that it can re-install fresh, you will need to kill the Mozilla Firefox directory in Program Files or Program Files (x86) and as well go the the User directory (windows 7), your user directory and then the AppData directory and then both the Local directory and the Roaming Directory and remove any references to Firefox. Be careful however, because if you use Thunderbird (mail client) you could remove all of your email directories and Thunderbird preferences.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/7.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: the ETA

edit on 5/7.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: the ETA2

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Are you using Ghostery or Lightbeam as an Ad Blocker/Tracking Blocker in Firefox? If you are reconfigure and start fresh. There could also be a problem with Java or your Privacy Options under Tools --> Options.

ETA2: You can also try to uninstall Firefox and re-install it, but when you uninstall you will have to remove all the preference files as well. So to completely clear Firefox enough that it can re-install fresh, you will need to kill the Mozilla Firefox directory in Program Files or Program Files (x86) and as well go the the User directory (windows 7), your user directory and then the AppData directory and then both the Local directory and the Roaming Directory and remove any references to Firefox. Be careful however, because if you use Thunderbird (mail client) you could remove all of your email directories and Thunderbird preferences.

Cheers - Dave

Under privacy, it has this checked--'Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked'--

Not sure about Ghostery/Lightbeam....doesn't ring a bell for me, but will check

Will uninstall/install Java next

Would you leave the old versions?
The message kinda contradicts itself about that...yes, it's best to remove the older versions...but be careful because it may affect portions of FF that use them

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

It has this blocked--Java Deployment Toolkit (click-to-play) has been blocked for your protection--
[This have been known as vulnerable. Use with caution]

And then it shows Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U55 10.55.2.14 --with "Ask to Activate"--
Should it be on "Always Activate" instead?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I had a recent similar problem with videos on FF.

Tried:

>Tools
>Add-ons
>Plugins

The add-on "Shockwave Flash" was off.

Turned it on (Always Activate) and no more problem.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

My Shockwave Flash is set to 'Always Activate'

Yet my Java was set to 'Always Ask' so I changed that to 'Always Activate'
Will see if it made any difference

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Java shouldn't have anything to do with embedding videos... I have it completely disabled and can post videos just fine with FF. The only issue I have with posting videos, at all, is that they show as blank/nonfunctional until I actually post them. (ie. they don't work in the preview window)

The only addons/plugins I have running:

- Shockwave Flash (ask to activate)
- Flashblock (all video requires manual activation, includes html5 and silverlight as well)
- NoScript (overzealous settings, nothing runs without permission)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

It has this blocked--Java Deployment Toolkit (click-to-play) has been blocked for your protection--
[This have been known as vulnerable. Use with caution]

And then it shows Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U55 10.55.2.14 --with "Ask to Activate"--
Should it be on "Always Activate" instead?

Only about 0.3% to 0.5% of sites use Java, so if you don't need it uninstall it. I would activate it though, just in case YT requires it. If it makes no difference, I would uninstall it as it is a HUGE security hole.

If you want to try it manually update your Adobe Flash, that may help as there were some problems with the updates about a month ago.

Do you have a good cache cleaner, if not, CCleaner from Piriform is an excellent product. We recently had some malware get through that screwed up our YT as well as ATS connections and CCleaner removed the problem quickly. More aggresive solutions might require MalwareBytes, Spybot, Stinger or TDSS Killer.

Other good programs for system maintenance and virus removal, Sophos which is a good second Virus Scanner that works even if you have AVG, MSS, Norton, MacAfee, etc. installed, it`s a second test, like a second opinion. Auslogics Disk Defragmentor beats the crap out of the microsoft version and looks a lot like the old Norton Speed Disk. Zone Alarm is also a good second Firewall to have in place even if you have an existing hardware NAT firewall built into your router. Zone Alarm can stop malicious programs from sending information out of your computer and it has a lot of flexibility. All of the programs I have mentioned have a functional FREE version on their sites.

If it comes to the point that you have to uninstall Firefox and wipe most of its traces (including the registry), you can Skype me, just set up a time and I walk you through it. You just need to tell me what version of windows you are running on and I`ll boot up one of my client machines or servers.

Hope this helps ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/7.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Under privacy, it has this checked--'Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked'--

Not sure about Ghostery/Lightbeam....doesn't ring a bell for me, but will check

Will uninstall/install Java next

Would you leave the old versions?
The message kinda contradicts itself about that...yes, it's best to remove the older versions...but be careful because it may affect portions of FF that use them

The Tracking preference should not matter. One thing I would do however is set Custom Settings for History and set Firefox to clear history when Firefox closes and in those Settings only check Cookies, Cache and Active Logins, leave everything else unchecked as you don`t want to lose form history and saved passwords when you shut down.

Ghostery and Lightbeam are nice tools, they allow you to manage what you want to see on the internet and you can Whitelist sites like ATS, FB, etc. and block malicious sites. Both Add-Ons for Firefox reduce your tracking footprint but they take a little time for most to learn and manage properly. With Ghostery, simply open the options, block everything and then go to Whitelist and add abovetopsecret.com as an exception. With Lightbean (found under Tools once installed), you can see a visual representation of site linkages, go to List on the left side and then select the sites you want to block.

Hope this helps ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Because Chrome and YT are both Google properties and Firefox is not?

Before you ridicule me, I have typed www.google.com in Internet Explorer and guess what comes up? BING. It takes me 2 or 3 attempts before it will give me google.

Don't put it past these guys to block competitors' products.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
originally posted by: CretumOrbis

Java shouldn't have anything to do with embedding videos... I have it completely disabled and can post videos just fine with FF. The only issue I have with posting videos, at all, is that they show as blank/nonfunctional until I actually post them. (ie. they don't work in the preview window)

Mine is not working in the preview window so will see if it works in the post....

ETA: Okay, now it's working even tho not in 'preview'
Before, it wasn't even working in the post

Hope it stays working!!
Sure beats having to switch browsers
edit on 8-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Try this, it might help you out on other websites as well:

Go to FF options > Privacy tab > Exceptions button

Type these in and click allow for each:

youtube.com
google.com
abovetopsecret.com

Add any other website where you are posting or cross-linking.

Hope that helps, if in fact it stops working.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pissy
Try this, it might help you out on other websites as well:

Go to FF options > Privacy tab > Exceptions button

Type these in and click allow for each:

youtube.com
google.com
abovetopsecret.com

Add any other website where you are posting or cross-linking.

Hope that helps, if in fact it stops working.

Thanks....will check into this as well

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Check your add ons, cheers as the brits would say...........

top topics

join