It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(VIDEO) 'Look UP'...Video gone viral, urging people to unplug from Social Media etc.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Ironically, the video that was created to get people to disconnect themselves from Social Media, has now been viewed more than 25 million times since it was posted on YouTube on 25 April

The title, 'Look Up', is just that....to get people to look up and not down at their device
Take a look around at the people/surroundings near you

The video shows writer and director Gary Turk reading a poem which orders people to “look up from your phone, shut down the display, take in your surroundings and make the most of today”

Some may consider the vid kinda corny due to it rhyming, but the overall message is clear & true
IMO, it's more for the young adults who seem obsessed with these gadgets, as if they are a part of their hand & have zero contact with the people around them

Unplug people, unplug!!
And give your loved one a hug!!
[sorry--had to say it. LOL]

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I wish we could at least get people to look up while driving, I cant tell you how many times I have passed some idiot doing 19 mph in a 40 mph zone, and look over and see this lady.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I hate this video....

Primarily because it makes me feel guilty. I have to be honest about it. While I do not do these things while I am driving, there is usually always something more important that I could be doing instead of staring at a screen.

It steps on my toes so to speak.

I hope it steps on other's toes as well. Most all of us could cut down on how much time we waste online.

I had to add a little rhyme there as well. It was just too tempting not to.

edit on 5/7/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I wish we could at least get people to look up while driving, I cant tell you how many times I have passed some idiot doing 19 mph in a 40 mph zone, and look over and see this lady.

I can't tell you how many times we have been nearly hit because of some dufus-azz person pulling out in front of us while texting, not paying attention

Or they pass us on the interstate only to pull in front of us and slow waaay down, due to the fact that they are messing with the phone
It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have a 38 ft. travel trailer to have to worry about but when you have all that weight and then have to slam on brakes just so someone can text, it can be very nerve racking not to mention ANNOYING!!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I hate this video....

Primarily because it makes me feel guilty. I have to be honest about it. While I do not do these things while I am driving, there is usually always something more important that I could be doing instead of staring at a screen.

It steps on my toes so to speak.

So sorry Kangaruex....didn't realize you were a victim too
Don't worry, we won't hold it against you....LOL

The only time I get on the computer is when my hubby is playing his game [it's only fair]

And as of yet, we have no smart phone....although since my birthday is this Sunday, he sure has been hinting around about the new Samsung Galaxy 5, whether or not I like it

I'd rather a blond lab puppy any day over a phone but......guess I'll have to wait a little longer for that to happen

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Ha! Thanks for not holding it against me.

And who wouldn't rather have a puppy??? You could probably get one for less than what you would spend on a smart phone. Maybe if you tell him that....?

Maybe he is like my husband. He bought me an iPad so we could sit together and watch all the shows he likes without me asking to watch something I like. Lol He says that is not the reason... I don't buy it.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

That is a true statement, it is kind of funny how these devices make more and more people go way *under* the speed limit.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Isn't that the whole point, to destroy the community spirit. Divide and conquer on a domestic level. Shops, restaurants, social clubs etc... all closing at an alarming rate over the past few years. Segregate people and show them how to live by controlled media. The world has become an extremely selfish place. It's getting very close to the film THX1138. Great film well worth a watch.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I had to set a few rules about electronics

no electronics at the supper table - period, end of discussion

1 hour of reading in exchange for 1 hour of "screen" time (be prepared to discuss what was read)

1 hour of outside play (keeping the weather in mind) in exchange for 1 hour of video games

Thankfully, most times, reading and outside play extends far beyond that 1 hour requirement; but that 1 hour of allowed video games and/or screen time remains the same.

Its ok to call me old-fashioned; I know I am. Good health, social skills, and a well-rounded education is my goal

J

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I keep encountering these idiots at stop lights. After it turns green they are sitting there texting holding everyone else up. I'm not on their time schedule and they need to get the hell outta my way!

But I agree. Unplug. Throw Facebook out the window. It's ok to come the internet for a little bit, but time and place is everything.

*Why when I type the word w-i-n-d-o-w, it turns into an underscore? lol

edit on 7-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The very thing that was meant to bring people of the world closer together,has divided and conquered us. Makes me feel extremely guilty as well.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Honestly makes sense, I deleted my social media accounts years ago for this exact reason, I always found them quite depressing to be on anyways, not only that I discovered a far better use of my time, research. The internet did do something amazing in all its horror, and that's open up access to anyone to the research of anyone and everyone across the globe, you have at your fingertips a way to study and contribute to the research of billions of people. I mean that's our greatest resource, access to billions of human minds, except for an educational purpose. I've made strides in my own research for this exact purpose, I found myself with a number of certifications through Harvard online, then I found myself with a high paying job, then I found myself with a scholarship to actually go to Harvard.

All I did was take advantage of probably what just about everyone takes for granted and it changed my entire life. It allowed me to study Buddhism more intently, I've actually come to understand quantum physics on a level I can barely explain, (As much as you can understand QM), I can dissemble and reassemble a computer in half an hour, I can build radios with ease, I've even become an avid engineer in the world of robotics. The fact is all of this was fun, time consuming but fun, I study what I want, I innovate what I want, and better yet I learned how to lead and use what I've learned to inform and help those around me.

And all I did was use my time online differently. I still agree, in my time studying Buddhism I learned that often I must look up from my screen, get up, stretch, take my dog on a walk, observe the world without creating an opinion for everything. Anyways, thanks for the link to this video.

originally posted by: snarky412
Ironically, the video that was created to get people to disconnect themselves from Social Media, has now been viewed more than 25 million times since it was posted on YouTube on 25 April

The title, 'Look Up', is just that....to get people to look up and not down at their device
Take a look around at the people/surroundings near you

The video shows writer and director Gary Turk reading a poem which orders people to “look up from your phone, shut down the display, take in your surroundings and make the most of today”

Some may consider the vid kinda corny due to it rhyming, but the overall message is clear & true
IMO, it's more for the young adults who seem obsessed with these gadgets, as if they are a part of their hand & have zero contact with the people around them

Unplug people, unplug!!
And give your loved one a hug!!
[sorry--had to say it. LOL]

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I haven't had a mobile phone since January and it's really liberating , not having to constantly check your phone for the updates and mess around with apps.
I now spend my time starting at the sky on the way to work or all the people on the train with their heads down.

How are young people meant to fall in love when they catch the glance of another on the way to work when they are starting at their devices posting on facebook or twitter how they cant seem to meet anyone!

I still cant get offline at home though because I need the internet to do my job!
I have however significantly reduced the number of hours I spend gaming online to one day a week

Social media and technology certainly inhibits our survival ability drastically, if your listening to a personal stereo you cant hear ambient environment sounds and are less aware of your surroundings, when crossing the street or walking home at night. The same with staring at your device, it so common for you to walk down the high street/ main street of your town/city when its busy and people are shopping and have to constantly stop or avoid , people walking along staring at their devices not knowing where they are going.

These people are robots and as the recent app shows their movements are entirely predictable now!
purposefully programmed

edit - I am not against technology and not a technophobe either , In fact I cant wait to become trans-humanist but there is a limit to where your devices/technology interfere with what it means to be human

I also think that mindfulness can also help with taking in your surroundings and just being part of the giant wave of particles and enjoying it for what it is.
edit on 8-5-2014 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Nothing beats the resolution on real life, but I think this is what we should really worry about....

Link

In one ongoing malpractice case in Texas over the death of a 61-year-old woman following a low-risk cardiac procedure, attorneys for her family discovered that the anesthesiologist charged with administering anesthesia and monitoring the patient’s vital signs had been on his iPad throughout the operation. In his deposition, the surgeon testified that the anesthesiologist didn’t even notice the patient’s dangerously low blood-oxygen levels until “15 or 20 minutes” after she “turned blue.”

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: meridie

*tsk*
if only that anesthesiologist's salary was enough to afford the iphone6 with the built in app. that monitors the patients vital signs..

n/m ..when that singularity gets here we'll all be perfect & problems like this will be a thing of the past
-we'll all have iphone666's then

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I closed my FB account, Myspace, etc. and got a smartphone and never texted. I use it for GPS, conversion, translation, checking products for GMO, checking email, and other more important things. My productivity has skyrocketed because so few others do this that, by comparison, I'm actually pulling far ahead of the pack. It feels good. It may be selfish, but I hope the masses continue to be glued to pieces of plastic doing pointless sh1t as it equates to more power for me. That was the intended purpose anyway by elites. No need for a Colosseum when you can put one in the hand of all your plebs.
edit on 9-5-2014 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Is it ironic, or as the say on the web, epic fail when you post on the web about disconnecting ? It's like making a video of the benefits of walking while driving a car.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Whew, great video!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Awesome video. I think the first step is acknowledging there is a problem. After that, I think knowing WHY it's so addictive is helpful in knowing how to fight it. That's what we're dealing with, addiction. "Variable ratio reinforcement" is why some of us check ATS too often. It's the reason why I've browsed 4chan way too much the past year. Oh oh what's new what's new.

It's also ego. Oh someone liked my status/starred my post/left some positive comment on my picture/etc etc.

So it seems like the biggest underlying issues are:

1) Variable ratio reinforcement
2)Ego
3)Low self esteem (like omg selfie!)

This link goes into more detail: Iphone/internet addiction

I haven't completely broken away from the phone yet, but knowing why I'm addicted to it helps a little. Sometimes I'll ask myself "is this important?". The answer is usually "no". Ok ok, it's always "no".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join