It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Hemp, The Sustainable Wonder Crop, Is Sweeping The Nation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: V22tech
a reply to: thesaneone

Ah yes another pro doper parroting the leftist media talking points. Once again you fail to comprehend the point im trying to make and instead resort to insults.

You have no point to make. You are doing nothing but parroting the same crap that the racist who had hemp banned were saying. Saying hemp and the marijuana is the same thing is like saying morels and false morels is the same thing. Plants can come from the same family but be totally different.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Perhaps here is where the difficulty begins: Indian hemp, also called Hemp Dogbane, (species Apocynum cannabinum), North American plant of the dogbane family Apocynaceae (order Gentianales). It is a branched perennial that grows up to 1.5 m (5 feet) tall and has smooth opposite leaves and small greenish white flowers. Indians used the fibres from the stem to make bags, mats, nets, and cordage. Its milky juice, or latex, yields rubber, and the dried roots of Indian hemp and a related plant (A. androsoemifolium) make a drug that acts as a heart stimulant. True hemp (Cannabis sativa) is sometimes called Indian hemp.

Any fiber baring plant was referred to as "hemp" apparently. begrudgingly I must admit according to todays WESTERN parlance V22 is not incorrect in his species for the sake of his side of the argument.

hemp (hĕmp)
n.
1. Cannabis.
2. The tough, coarse fiber of the cannabis plant, used to make cordage.
a. Any of various plants similar to cannabis, especially one yielding a similar fiber.
b. The fiber of such a plant.
[Middle English, from Old English hænep.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
hemp (hɛmp)
n
1. (Plants) Also called: cannabis or marijuana an annual strong-smelling Asian plant, Cannabis sativa, having tough fibres, deeply lobed leaves, and small greenish flowers: family Cannabidaeceae. See also Indian hemp
2. (Plants) the fibre of this plant, used to make canvas, rope, etc
3. (Pharmacology) any of several narcotic drugs obtained from some varieties of this plant, esp from Indian hemp. See bhang, cannabis, hashish, marijuana

This does not in my mind, or many here, lead to the same myopic conclusion that V22 has been lead to, but I can see where different folks are correct on both sides of this aisle, regarding species.

To V22: I do not smoke MJ, but as a human being have as much right to use it in any manner in my opinion as any other naturally occurring plant and its by-product. Any other species like Urtica dioca, Cannabis, Apocynum, etc...are vasdtly superior environmentally, as well as economically than the present commodities used today. In fact it would lead to far less war as well as we can grow ALL of these plants for food,cloth, fuel, building materials AND paper to name a few right here in the the USA, or in fact anywhere on the habitable planet. Your argument is shallow and based on ignorance, no offense intended, ignorance is a state, not an appellation.
edit on 7-5-2014 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

a reply to: aorAki

What part of NO ONE WILL GROW IT FOR ITS TACILE USE did you not understand? I never said you could get high from hemp.

Why not let the free markets decide that?

Why do you need big brother goverment to make that determination?

If anyone here sounds leftists its you!
edit on 7-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I bought a bag of hemp and was rooting to be able to plant it legally, but sadly I couldnt
You need some kind of license for that so I guess I'll have to wait for now...

[SNIP]

edit on 7-5-2014 by threepwood because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/7/2014 by kosmicjack because: removed OT content/ cross posted over staff action

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: V22tech

Growth height has nothing do do with it. Hemp does no produce the marijuana flower, plants that flower contain hemp but the hemp plant does not flower. They are the same species but different varieties, would you say that a Wolf and a Poodle are the same? Hemp plants gerenraly produce .3% THC while modern Marijuana strains are between 10-23% that is 30-70 time the potency (THC is the psychoactive ingredient) Now CBD another active canibanoid actually blocks THC's effects Hemp produces higher levels of the chemical. Hemp is also cultivated for the seed which is only produced by males(no flowers) or hermaphrodites(low potency flowers filled with seed).

Deny Ignorance.
edit on 7-5-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well to be fair there is only one species of Cannabis Sativa according to science. Cannabis Sativa Liene (sp) But the species is broken down into three subspecies. Cannabis Sativa (Marijuana from equatorial regions) Cannabis Indica (marijuana from more temperate regions) and cannabis Ruderalis (hemp) Ruderalis has very little THC and WILL NOT get anybody or anything high.

Now I know you are thinking "Ah Ha! You just admitted they are all the same exact plant. Well yes and no. See scientists agree the plants are different but cant LEGALLY change the name of the subspecies to represent different plants because the differences were not natural but occurred over 1000's of years of selective breeding. Same situation as a pomeranian and a malamute. Not exactly the same dogs are they. Lets take this closer to home the plant kingdom. What do Broccoli, cabbage, kale, and cauliflower all have in common? They are all the exact same species of plant. the only difference is the 1000's of years of selective breeding. I bet you think a cauliflower and a piece of kale are pretty different don't you?

So hemp and marijuana are too very different things. Hey guess what else is in the cannabis family....BEER HOPS! Yep you dirty beer drinkers you are all pertaking in some form of cannabis. Whooohooo. Too bad cannabis is a genus and describes flower formation (in this case into racemes)

GO hemp legalization.

a reply to: V22tech

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
How in the hell is there anyone who opposes hemp? Can we ban this V22tech? This must be a troll right? Hemp has over 40,000! commercial uses and more being developed constantly. The only reason it is or ever was made illegal was, like has been said, it would have destroyed the "competition". From hemp you can make alternative: clothing, plastic, metals, lumber, shampoo, cooking oil, food binding products (to replace the cancerous one currently being used), paint, tires, etc, etc, etc, The list goes on and on. The desk your sitting at could be made from hemp as well as just about every component of the computer and accessories your using. This is truly a miracle plant. I say that in the future either in every home or at several locations throughout communities there could be a hemp gin/processor into which you feed raw hemp material that you can grow in your backyard and it could give you material at any strength you need to build homes, furniture, clothing, cosmetics, etc, etc, etc. Remember that only the female plants are the ones harvested for smoking. Hemp could be either. The largest contributor to the illegalization of hemp was Dupont who spent tons of money in the early 1900s spreading propaganda because they knew in advance that if this were to be industrialized it would put them out of business. But luckily for them there's stupid people who believe totally ridiculous propaganda even propaganda that is nearing ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD! (un freaking believable). Propaganda that came from a business family that these days is up to.....

www.usatoday.com...

It's not just the Duponts. This plant threatens the business of several different industries and extremely wealthy families who have controlled the market and us for too long! This plant is the solution to a huge problem. How do we move forward or even stay where we're at technologically and industrially SUSTAINABLY!? Do we have to abandon it all, buy a horse and camping gear? Because the current methods of attaining resources and the current selection of the resources attained, and the decision of what to make with said resources is undeniably NOT SUSTAINABLE! Do you know what that means V22? That means the only planet known to contain life in the entire universe will cease to contain life. The only known intelligent species will kill itself and most of it's own planet.
Evolve! or Die!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

a reply to: Sremmos80

No, your ignorance is showing CANABIS SATIVA....same freakin plant one male one female SAME PLANT! get it? No one will grow the canabis sativa plant for its tactile use, its more lucrative to make it a drug and sell it.

Marijuana is not a drug. Drugs are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies and drug cartels to enslave people into drug addiction. Nobody's life was ever ruined by smoking marijauana. Millions of lives have been ruined by being prosecuted for smoking and possessing marijuana. Coca is a plant. Poppies are plants. Marijuana is a plant. Cocaine and Heroin are MANUFACTURED from plants. They are drugs. Marijuana is not manufactured. It is a plant.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
At least now we can get to see if all the research is true about the nutritional value and crop effeciancy vs the current wheat and grasses that cattle ranchers struggle with every year. It does seem to grow very quickly and seed production is off the charts. How about a future where our fuel for diesel engines is grown in a field and the majority of our elec is coming from wind and sun. Would that really be a bad thing?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

a reply to: Erongaricuaro

Figures, the most left leaning news agency in the country tries yet again to use its quasi science to push for the legalization of dope. No one grows this crap for tactile use now, no one will grow it in the future. The only reason this plant is grown is to get high. Yes i know hemp and marijuana are different, Hemp is high growing marijuanna is low growing but same plant.

Oh you silly person. Tell that to the millions of babies wearing hemp diapers. All the rage now as safer for baby than regular cloth diapers.

Why is hemp such a wonderful fabric for cloth diapering? Well, for thousands of years, the hemp plant has been know for its sturdiness and stability. It's one of the greatest natural fibers. Because of hemp's antibacterial properties, they make great cloth diapers. Hemp contains no herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers, which means hemp is a perfect material for your baby. Hemp diapers are super absorbent and easy to wash. You can choose from all-in-one diapers, prefolded diapers, fitted diapers and more. www.kellyscloset.com...

Get with the program and do your research, your ignorance is showing....

Des

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro
This reminds me of a wonderful quote,
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” -Terence Mckenna

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
At least now we can get to see if all the research is true about the nutritional value and crop effeciancy vs the current wheat and grasses that cattle ranchers struggle with every year. It does seem to grow very quickly and seed production is off the charts. How about a future where our fuel for diesel engines is grown in a field and the majority of our elec is coming from wind and sun. Would that really be a bad thing?

When cars first starting burning gasoline here in the states they ran on gasoline that was made from hemp oil. There are tens of thousands of different products that can be made from hemp. But it will be hard to get it legalized on a nation level because the big money players will lose profit. Big oil doesn't want it legal because everything that can be made from crude oil can be made out of hemp oil.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Duckling
a reply to: groingrinder
[snip]

Sounds just like Alcohol.

Did anyone force you to take it? Does the Dutch government put a gun to your head and force you to partake of it?

No? Then like alcohol its down to personal responsibility.

Just because some people make poor choices in life should not mean that a useful plant should be banned for industrial reasons.

edit on 7-5-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Unfortunately, it's the illegal THC-laden cousin plant that's causing all the problems for the natural hemp weed crops from becoming an industrialized agriculture.
Funny thing is that the only “hemp” that grows in America is the one for recreational/medical use, i.e. contains copious amounts of THC. For as long as I can remember buying Marijuana has been quite easy, the war on drugs is an utter failure, yet I don’t know of one single hemp farm that grows the plant for fiber here in America. It seems that the "illegal THC-laden cousin" is what saved this plant from obscurity.

a reply to: Sublimecraft

Being a mariner most of my life, and knowing a bit of maritime history, it is common knowledge that the old fiber ropes used for mooring ops were made from hemp.
Don’t forget Canvas! Canvas is derived from the word cannabis or meaning “made from hemp”. The world would be a totally different place without the use of canvas/cannabis sails, and that is a gross understatement.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Duckling

Addiction sucks. Its a terrible thing.

But I don't see why its the governments place to nanny you and deal with it. Its down to then individual who decides to use or drink said substance.

If I want to go drink drain cleaner even though I know it could kill me should they ban drain cleaner?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join