learn more

I Don't Know What I Don't Know

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I am ignorant of so very much.
There are things all over this earth that I don't know exist.
People, customs, lifestyles, practices of worship...diet...entertainment....it's an endless list.
It's when I remember this, that I feel arrogant in defending certain ideals.

How do I know anything?
Only one of two ways. Either I experienced it personally or I was taught by someone else.
I can imagine things, make them up....but that doesn't mean that they are real outside of my head.
I can assume things, because a majority of people seem to believe them...but I still don't really know, do I?
I can theorize....we do that a LOT here...come up with theories. I LOVE the theories that are presented here, especially when I can see how it COULD be possible. But it's still just a theory.

I have long since given up caring about material possessions.
But knowledge? I can't get enough. I am eternally stuck in the 'why?' stage.
Why are we here? How did we get here?
Which really came first...the chicken or the egg?

I read SO many threads here, debating religions...evolution...ancient aliens.....etc.
Sometimes, I've even posted a reply. But really, it's only an 'opinion'...isn't it?
Because....I don't really KNOW.
There is more that I DON'T know, than what I DO.
And I don't know what that is.
I don't know...what I don't know.

I am placing this thread in "chitchat" because I'm not exactly sure what anyone will respond to.
After all, these are merely 'musings'....so feel free to add your own, comment on mine...or even better! Tell me you

know EVERYTHING because I have much to learn.

jacygirl

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

You have run into Descartes Matrix ...

Three Minute Philosophy: Rene Descartes

Basically you can not prove anything to anybody else because they may be illusions to you and you can't tell the difference between what is real and what is imagined!

The only thing you can prove, and you can only prove this to yourself, is that YOU exist!

Anything more than that is impossible to prove without invoking any apriori preconditions that MUST be agreed to before any discussion takes place.

For example if I do not agree you exist, even after you hit me to prove you do exist, then arguing with me is going to be very hard and probably impossible.

The consequences of Descartes Matrix is that you MUST come to the very conclusion that YOU ARE GOD ... because without your will you would not exist and you are responsible for your own creation.

This doesn't mean you suddenly gain the powers of God ... if anything it should be more maddening to find out you created a reality in which you do not have the full powers of God.

That should prove to you that simply existing is insane!

Good luck sleeping tonight!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

Hi DietJoke, and thank you!
Much to ponder tonight, lol.

Honestly, I have to take a prescription to sleep, otherwise my thoughts keep me awake all night.

If it's ALL just an illusion that I have created...then why do others see the black chair...or my computer desk...etc.?
I am trying to grasp concepts that I can't completely comprehend.
I have read and studied much....but still don't really have more than an awareness of what other people believe to be true. (unless I have had a personal experience myself)

Appreciate your input!
jacygirl

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This is why I keep my opinions to myself more than I used to. If it isn't proven fact, its better to be silent, I've found. You don't do the world much good sharing opinions. But sharing that which you know to be fact clears the air of impurities. Opinions can easily turn into delusions when they aren't supported by facts, and that's unhealthy for you and unhealthy for everyone else. I am more interested in scientific discoveries and math these days. These fields build upon an existing body of actual knowledge and facts that can be verified.
edit on 6-5-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Please do not worry to much ok! Here is why ...

I believe and agree, this is my default apriori, that you also exist otherwise I would not have wasted my time talking to an illusion!

Squares have four sides ... and I think you and I can agree on that 'fact'!

You have worth and value ... and I see that worth and I do value it!

It doesn't matter what you know ... it is your ATTITUDE that counts the most!

And I can see your attitude is built upon finding out the truth and I choose to support that attitude ok!

Peace!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
BANNED for not knowing what you don't know .... OOOOPS ... wrong thread.

Seriously .. everyone is here to learn. Some learn better than others.
Some folks take longer to grow up than others. It's all good.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Hi smithjustinb...thank you!
I consciously try to only argue when I KNOW I'm right, lol.
It gets frustrating to see people spewing hatred at each other over 'beliefs' though.
A big "yes" to math and science...wish I'd studied them with more interest when I was younger.

DietJoke...Peace to you too friend! Replies like these, are why I love this place. I can't find a single person in my 'real life' to have these discussions with. I accept your support and offer mine in fair trade.

jacygirl

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
BANNED for not knowing what you don't know .... OOOOPS ... wrong thread.

hahahaha....Hey FlyersFan! I thought you would have wandered into The Shed and 'banned' me there by now!
Thanks for stopping by.
Yes, I'm here to learn! (also to write....on occasion, lol)

jacygirl

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hey Jacy-Heres something else to ponder:ie-Which came 1st, chicken or egg.....

You have a live chicken...next to it? You have 1 egg.
Now...the chicken is alive and already a chicken...but...the egg? It could fall and break or any number of things to keep it from ever becoming a chicken.

Therefore, the chicken already exist...whereas the egg has only the POTENTIAL of possibly becoming a chicken.

So...the chicken came 1st...its already here...and the egg is only a possibilty.

I dont know how this will help you...Im just hoping somehow we both can get something new learned here!!!

Life is for learning...never an end...always more, unknowns.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

For what it is worth, I think that is a good point to be at. It demonstrates the opening stages of wisdom.

Yeah, it is uncomfortable. It is frustrating talking to people unwilling to accept this. The worst part is knowing you will grow old and die and only be a tiny fraction better off than you are today knowledge wise.

I guess that is where acceptance comes in.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I always turn back to the great philosopher, Popeye the Sailor, when confronted with this type of existential dilemma. I am what I am.
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

MagicWand67....lol...those unknown unknowns....nice to know I'm not the only one that's frustrated by them!

mysteriousstranger...the egg is only a possibility...this just keeps getting more confusing, doesn't it? lol

ABNARTY...the opening stages of wisdom...I like that. Thank you for not saying that it is the opening stage of insanity, hehe!

skunkape23...I completely forgot that Robin Williams played Popeye! I like that...no apologies, just...I yam what I yam!

Thanks everybody for participating!
jacygirl

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

I am ignorant of so very much.

Don't forget, this is true for everyone. No matter how much they appear to know, or how specialized in a specific field or topic, there is still a great amount of unknowns for all of us.

That's why we all need to share our thoughts, experiences, and wisdom with each other.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
so you will spend your whole life learning what you don't know and at the end of it what will you know?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

I guess, at the end...all I will know is what I know now...
I think, therefore I am.

Oh, and a square has four sides.

jacygirl

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

read my threads and you will learn heaps

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I DO read your threads.
I have already learned heaps.

Now I want to learn mountains.

jacygirl

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Take time to connect with natures creatures, and trees, the ground, the grass, the wind and the mountain will come to you.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Good advice! I had that planned for today.
The weather channel said that it would be clear, sunny and in the 80'sF.
It's pitch black and pouring rain, lol.

So far today, I have learned that I want to work for the weather network, so I can get paid for being wrong.

jacygirl

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join