It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly Every Mass Shooting In The Last 20 Years Shares One Thing In Common, And It Isn’t Weapons

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl We do have to take into consideration the need of the pharma industry to put the drugs out into the public as well as the prescription writing doctors as well as the politicians that are willing to subsidize the whole thing as long as they get their kick back to get re-elected ...it's a vicious circle that really doesn't care about the individual or society as a whole .

I have taken the time to sit down and look at some of these peoples medication list .Uppers and downers .Something to keep them awake while the next pill helps them go to sleep . They are on a yoyo of drugs .Too stunned to know it or coherent enough to understand it ....

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

But as it's not a problem in other countrys as there are no killing sprees like in the US the problem isen't the drugs, it's the person and his ability to get a weapon of choise, in these cases a gun, now go figure where the problem really is

edit on 6-5-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Excellent post. I have thought for a LONG time that the powerful medicines ,given to kids at such a young age to deal with things they should be dealing with by talking and exercise, are one of the MAJOR culprits to actions such as the ones you have pointed out in the OP.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well that's just fantastic. I've been prescribed both Prozac (although I refused to take a single pill, I didn't tell them that though, lol) and Zoloft (which I did take for about 6 months), along with a whole host of other things. I didn't ask to be prescribed them, I just wanted some benzo's for my anxiety problems, and they wouldn't let me have them until I went through like 3-4 years of trying all sorts of sh!tty anti-depressants and other cool (sarcasm) stuff that literally did nothing but give me bad side effects. Now I'm on Clonazepam and Lithium Carbonate. I can't tell if the lithium is doing anything, but it doesn't seem to have any bad side effects, but the benzo does seem to help a little with my anxiety.

I also have lots of guns. Never seriously thought about hurting anyone though, although I do have a general dislike for people. Doesn't mean I'm gonna go on a shooting rampage,.......I hope. Lol.

Seriously though, that would suck. I figure, if I wanted to hurt someone I would have done it by now. I've had my guns for a while, some of them even class 3, (and more on the way).

I think it's more of a combination of metal problems these people had, and also doctors who don't know what the hell they're talking about (I've had plenty of experience) just prescribing these meds, or better yet, the WRONG meds, to anyone who walks in the door. Like I said, I never took the prozac I was prescribed, but I did take the Zoloft, and it didn't seem to do a damn thing, along with all the other drugs they prescribed me (too many to count). All they ever seem to have is bad side effects, and none of the positive ones. All the drugs that actually help (like bezo's and pain meds) are tightly regulated and rarely given out because they are "addictive". While I might agree they are addictive, they also get the job done, unlike whatever the hell is in those other drugs they dish out.

/rant

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: StallionDuck
But as it's not a problem in other countrys as there is no killing sprees as in the US the problem isen't the drugs, it's the person and his ability to get a weapon of choise, in these cases a gun, now go figure where the problem really is

So perhaps in other countries it only manifest as suicides, a depressed person kills himself, who cares? ( as in no one is correlating THAT data)

The ease of access, could certainly play a role in the consequence of the suicidal tendencies.

So since disarmament is not an option (thats for another thread)

Perhaps better physiological care and monitoring behooves everyone, including further testing, the problem is here in america its not even on the radar.
edit on 6-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Of course, these could be the problem.

Although, I believe you are looking at it from the wrong angle. The common denominator is severe mental health issues, which lead to taking the prescription pills, rather than the pills themselves.

There are tens of millions of people, who take such pills daily. If prescription pills were the main cause of it,I believe there could be far more of such actions. I have personally seen several people getting prescribed different pills and at least so far the changes in their behaviour have only been towards positive, rather than negative.

The number of such atrocities has risen in recent years, but I believe the main reason rather lies in the sociological changes. With the rise of computers, the amount of meaningful human interactions has fallen, which leads to additional loneliness and often lack of empathy, at the same time exposure to different violent/hateful content as well as depressing information/graphics has risen. That is the negative effect of the internet era and can have significant effects on certain individuals, for some stronger, for some weaker, for some none.

Yet, I do not fully deny the possibly role of prescription pills. Every individual is different, has different brain chemistry, different reactions to different combinations of chemicals. While for the vast majority such pills can lead to more positive results, on certain very small % these can lead to opposite reactions due to whatever reason. . Human body is an incredibly complex mechanism, even the slightest changes can affect the whole body, our and there is a lot left for science to learn.

Another possibility lies in possible wrongly prescribed pills. While a pill can actually do a lot of good to a person in some more serious condition, it could totally f up the brain chemistry of a person, who was wrongly diagnosed and the pills are rising/lowering the otherwise normal levels of brain chemicals.

edit on 6-5-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I can't tell you how long I have been screaming this...Im sure many of you have seen me express this sentiment in many related threads, thank you Benri for bringing the real culprit to light in a thread I should of composed myself.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
People that are prescribed a pharma drug already exhibit problems of one sort or another. Thats why they are prescribed the drug in the first place.

It won't help only delay the eventual return of those problems, probably magnified in the interim.

If you put on earmuffs to deaden noise it doesn't stop the noise, just your perception of it. The noise is still there if and when you take the sound protection off. Thats got to be a hopeless realization for those that go off their meds.

The cure wasn't.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

To be honest it's a combination of Mental Illness, Anti Depressants being Prescribed and lack of Parental/Friend/Neighbor overwatch that are the common denominators. When mentally ill people slide without people noticing, more often than not, bad things happen.

We see people heading off the deep end, then medicate them and think they will be fine then. We collectively as a society stop paying attention to the "crazy" people once they are "medicated" and when they snap and kill others we are shocked.

The writing was on the wall, we just ignored the message.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I entirely disagree with the fact that anti-depressants help people however, I have watched far too many people become addicted and spiral ever downward.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
People should remember that certain individuals take 'mind altering drugs' because they have been diagnosed by medical professionals as being in need of them. People who take these medications have a mental illness. Why don't you say that all of the mass shooters have mental illness in common? Is it because you wish to sound sensationalist in unveiling some hidden conspiracy by 'big pharma'?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I entirely disagree with the fact that anti-depressants help people however, I have watched far too many people become addicted and spiral ever downward.

I myself, avoid them like the plague.

I even have a personal example of a friend who was spinning out of control, PTSD, etc.

The meds where not helping, he found alternatives, which funny enough we can not talk about on here.

Honestly, I am sure someone is being helped by their meds, there are some conditions these medicines work for.

They are not a magic bullet cure all like they are being prescribed though.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I would tend to think that Americans are more heavily prescribed anti-depressants than other countries, but I haven't researched that. I would venture to say that if you look globally, you would find that the VAST majority of mass killings done by individuals have been done by those with mental illness and quite probably being prescribed anti-depressants.

Being that we don't see a direct correlation of all people on anti-Depressants showing homicical behavior, you have to go back to the mental illness being the primary factor.

The Mental Illness starts the ball of tragedy rolling, the anti-depressants may be the cliff that pushes them over the edge.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

The question that should be asked is "Why are there so many people taking antidepressants in the first place"

Why is there all of a sudden a need.

The side effect of people getting suicidal and possibly even killing others because of these drugs is well established, the numbers are low, but it is even listed as one of the side effects on the information of some of the drugs. I have read the accompanying literature on these things. Now less than one percent of millions of people does add up..

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
In the "old" days (pre 1970's) most, not all, mass shootings perps weren't on anti-depressants, because of course, the new generation of the big pharma meds weren't around yet. And most of the perps didn't end their sprees with self-inflicted shots (suicidal). I'm old enough to remember in grade school where kids who had short attention spans and goofed around would be labeled hyperactive, and were the class clowns who got detention. Nowadays they're labeled AD/HD and put on Ritalin to quell their personalities into zombie-like states. This usually leads to meds through adulthood. Big pharma stands to make big bucks from a lifetime of these prescriptions, probably not all needed, and doing more harm than good in the long run. It's funny but when they have ads for these anti-depressants during primetime tv, some of the announced side-affects are "suicidal thoughts". Pretty ironic for an "anti-depressant", eh?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Seems so.

When the second Ft Hood shooting happened, there was this topic:

Fort Hood shooter was taking "prescription drugs for depression and anxiety". SSRIs?

And I was pretty surprised at how defensive some people around here got about it. To me, the subject of the OP is pretty much obvious though. Either they were on the drugs, abusing the drugs, or coming off them wrong.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My gut feeling is that it's some kind of "mind control" experimentation is being performed on the populace. Goebbels said, "you control the media, you control the masses". The next better thing is to control the person directly. Honestly, you will never know what is really being added to the water or food supply, let alone what other foreign substances are "spiked" into our prescription medication.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: decltype
People should remember that certain individuals take 'mind altering drugs' because they have been diagnosed by medical professionals as being in need of them. People who take these medications have a mental illness. Why don't you say that all of the mass shooters have mental illness in common? Is it because you wish to sound sensationalist in unveiling some hidden conspiracy by 'big pharma'?

Because I am posting a link to a story that says that.

I am not altering it to fit my need for anything...

AND Read my post in this thread, I can count several times where I clearly say they had other issues.

Since you can't be bothered to read, Ill locate them for you.

We have to be careful, as Correlation does not equal causation.

But it certainly merits further research and concern.

I have no doubt anti-depressants help people, the question is are their unintended side effects, that IF they where stressed, could perhaps be accounted for and protected against.

Yes, that could also be the case.

People who have heart attacks, tend to be on medication to prevent them.

That does not mean that the heart attacks are caused by the medication, just that people who take heart meds tend to be people who are at risk for them.

and

No one is arguing that they where sane.

I am asking if the increase suicide risk with certain drugs could possibly extrapolate to an INSANE person, deciding that Suicide, is not just enough for them.

So are you just purposefully obtuse so you can make a snarky point?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

But in 1992, Congress put the fox in the chicken coop. It passed the Prescription Drug User Fee Act, which authorizes drug companies to pay “user fees” to the FDA for each brand-name drug considered for approval. Nearly all of the money generated by these fees has been earmarked to speed up the approval process. In effect, the user fee act put the FDA on the payroll of the industry it regulates. Last year, the fees came to about $300 million, which the companies recoup many times over by getting their drugs to market faster.

The FDA is a coporate appendage

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I appreciate your level headedness. Often times depression is caused by dispeptic conditions. They create an intense sobbing type of mania. We see it all the time in Chinese Medicine, typically caused by consuming high acid producing/high acid foods IE coffee and alcohol. I myself though there was something seriously wrong with me until my wife purchased low acid green coffee for me and I stopped drinking...and what do you know, the symptoms in my case went away.

I know this isnt every case especially PTSD, however the American diet is so terrible on the whole and additives and preservatives like brominated substances so toxic when people consume vastly higher amounts of the goods containing them then the FDA actually tests for...its a recipe for depression and other diseases.

Sadly we treat the symptom, or prune the branch with SSRIs and dont dig out the root.

Back in the 90s when engaging in extracurricular substances the old addage was..."dont go up, if ya cant come down. Not everyone was susceptible to the "crash" in a really big way but a small percentage would always go off their rocker, or not be able to handle their high, or their come-down...how in the world Big Pharma believes mass medication of the population wouldnt meet with the same effects is amazing, as well as utterly irresponsible.
edit on 6-5-2014 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join