It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kerry on religion: "Not the Way I Think Most People Want to Live"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, it's nice to see our Secretary of State throw religion under the bus in favour of modernity.

Some people believe that people ought to be able to only do what they say they ought to do, or to believe what they say they ought to believe, or live by their interpretation of something that was written down a thousand plus, two thousand years ago. That’s not the way I think most people want to live. (Source)

Citing the "two thousand years ago" bit specifically dismisses the New Testament. Despite the vast majority of Americans being people of faith, Secretary Kerry thinks that's not the way that people want to live.

We need a new set of Ten Commandments, I guess. And a new Jesus.

Nice to see that the government has officially thrown in with the "Bronze Age laws, worthless Saviour" anti-theistic crowd. While I'd like to see the US Catholic Bishops say enough is enough and excommunicate the guy, it's probably not going to happen. When they give pro-abortion politicians like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden a pass, why not give it to a guy who thinks that the Gospel is out of date?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen Wow Kerry is sticking his foot in his mouth again ..Come on John get with the program , Israel was created because of that book you are now saying has no standing ....He makes himself such a easy target I couldn't resist ...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
That's why there are several billion believers globally... Clear proof of his thesis...

What a doofus.

+24 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Religion is just another tool to be used to control the masses. It is used to get the people to act in a way a small minority wants them to act while retaining power over them. Religion has been used to hold humanity back long enough and it is time we move beyond it. Just look back in history and you can easily find where religion has held back mankind's progress the dark ages being just one of many examples.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull You could relate anything that guy says and call him a doufus and I would give you a star for doing so :>)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010 I agree with you on most of what you said ,but did or do you know the term the dark ages actually refers to the sun? .... Back then it was a time of the suns output and the colder climate they were experiencing ..it true ,just google it :>)

+14 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That's why there are several billion believers globally... Clear proof of his thesis...

Actually, clear proof that billions bought into the largest Pyramid Scheme in history...but yes, Kerry is a tool.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: buster2010 I agree with you on most of what you said ,but did or do you know the term the dark ages actually refers to the sun? .... Back then it was a time of the suns output and the colder climate they were experiencing ..it true ,just google it :>)

It is also a reference to a time in history for its lack of lights of civilization and intellectuals, which had been replaced by feudalism and religious dominance.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010 I have heard that as well but ,who and how the pyramids were built prior to this dark age some how doesn't fit .What you refer to is a later addition to the narrative but the base of it is in the climate :>)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen
This is a great example of John Kerry, the poor public speaker. I *think* I understand what he was attempting to say, but it's obtuse enough to make him look like a bumbling jackass. I *think* he was trying to say most people don't want someone else telling them what to believe and what to practice and simply want to chose their own paths, which is an accurate statement and the primary tenent of religious freedom. Unfortunately, the bumbling ass made it sound more like an assailment of religion in general.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Kerry is so right! And this thread is proof! We have religious extremist fascists in this thread who are actually upset Kerry said people should think for themselves. These extremists want to control everyone and how they think. "How dare he have different views!!!!!!" They say.

adjensen wants to take away my rights, control everything I do and make sure I think like it does. Christianity has been doing this for centuries, killing and destroying everything in its path.

Also I do agree with the OP we do need a new Jesus! We need a story that has been copied 4 or 5 times already like last time...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Lennok11

adjensen wants to take away my rights

Um, where on Earth did I say that I wanted to take away your rights?

I am not a proponent of a theocracy, but neither am I a proponent of an anti-theistic government, and that's what comments like Kerry's seem to be indicating some in power are in favour of moving towards.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lennok11
Kerry is so right! And this thread is proof! We have religious extremist fascists in this thread who are actually upset Kerry said people should think for themselves.

Really? :rolleyes:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If churches were to both buy and push his company's carbon credits, I'm sure he'd become overly staunch in some form of worship or another...outside of his vanity mirror...

Maybe he's gone on from mere mortal to a God in his little world.
edit on 6-5-2014 by BlackboxInquiry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

What a doofus.

I don't like Kerry, one bit, but . . . this statement is a fallacy.

There are approx. 2 billion Christians in the world. 1 billion Muslims. 1 billion Hindus. 1 billion non-believers/atheists. The other (approx.) 1 billion people on this planet subscribe to Judaism, Animism, Buddhists, Taoists, etc. The numbers here don't include countries where "religion" is outlawed in favor of the "state" . . . like China.

The fact that there are "other" religions doesn't give any legitimacy to any claims made by other believers. Judaism is not compatible with Christianity. Christianity is not compatible with Islam. Islam is not compatible Hinduism . . . etc.

70% of the world does not believe in Jesus or the Christian view of the world . . . Of course, all religions are arrogant enough to think they spread the "truth", but history and propagation of various "truths" prove otherwise.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: solomons path

I wasn't referring to just Christianity, and it's various sects...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6 So you are suggesting that he needs a teleprompter like his boss ...Someone told him what he should focus on but he is such a dits ...hey whats for breakfast . Oh goody goody korn flakes again ..lol

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I wasn't referring to just Christianity, and it's various sects...

I realize that . . . that is why I said no two systems are compatible. You can't claim legitimacy for "belief" when no belief-structures are congruent and no system agrees even on what a "god" is . . . let alone how to worship said "god".

That is why your statement is a fallacy . . . As a Christian, would you say that a billion people believing in Ganesh, Kali, and Vishnu gives legitimacy to Christianity? Or . . . to take out the "religion" . . . Does the popularity of "Ghost Hunters" type programs give legitimacy to the validity of supernatural claims?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: solomons path You need to add just one more on my part because I refuse to be asked questions on polls ...who knows there may be more like me then anyone knows .

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Ah, I see what you were saying... ...and my little brain is having an issue relating to it. It's been a very long day...sorry.

May I clear up a seeming misconception on your part? I'm not what any Christian would consider a Christian. At best I'd be considered a heretic, if not an outright heathen...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join