It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Earthquake Warning Issued for Oklahoma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
For the first time ever the USGS has issued a earthquake warning east of the Rockies in Oklahoma.

Mile for mile, there are almost as many earthquakes rattling Oklahoma as California this year. This major increase in seismic shaking led to a rare earthquake warning today (May 5) from the U.S. Geological Survey and the Oklahoma Geological Survey.

Oklahoma Has had more earth quakes than California.

In a joint statement, the agencies said the risk of a damaging earthquake — one larger than magnitude 5.0 — has significantly increased in central Oklahoma.

Geologists don't know when or where the state's next big earthquake will strike, nor will they put a number on the increased risk. "We haven't seen this before in Oklahoma, so we had some concerns about putting a specific number on the chances of it," Robert Williams, a research geophysicist with the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program in Golden, Colorado, told Live Science. "But we know from other cases around the world that if you have an increasing number of small earthquakes, the chances of a larger one will go up

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 6-5-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Has this been one of those fracking storm of earthquakes?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'd be feeling uneasy if I lived there, to be honest. The regular quakes there have been impossible to ignore. I wonder what the risk of sinkholes there is too, given all the underground fracking and quaking.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join