It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Gun Debate.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Not a big fan of electronics in or on my firearms. Technology usually fails when you need it the most.

That said, I see no problem with this firearm and I don't think it'll make older firearms illegal.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There's a big wad of hypocrisy from the left concerning this gun:

On the one hand, the anti-gun crowd wants this technology to be mandatory. Wait.. aren't they AGAINST guns? This is a GUN. Why do they WANT it?

Could the reason be that they know this is another step toward total control? They can't get what they ultimately want in one broad stroke, so they have to be satisfied with chipping away our rights a little at a time. When all guns have electronic lockouts, all they have to do is electronically lock them out en masse and... no more guns.

But no, this technology won't make it any more difficult to defend yourself, it makes as all SAFER. Yeah, right.

I'll keep my analog guns, thanks.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick

... I don't think it'll make older firearms illegal.

You must live in a state that isnt crazy. NJ already has a law on the books, passed in 2002, to do just that.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

... I don't think it'll make older firearms illegal.

You must live in a state that isnt crazy. NJ already has a law on the books, passed in 2002, to do just that.

Yeah, there are states that have horrible gun laws, like New York, California, and New Jersey, but in the shooting community, it seems NJ is joked about the most as being a horrible state, beating even cali, which is impressive. Thank god I live in PA, considering I'm surrounded by states with HORRIBLE gun laws. New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and even Ohio I think has fairly bad, or at least not as friendly (to the gun owner) laws as PA. PA is awesome, for now at least.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Unless you are shooting people in the face . 22 is useless for hone defense.

Here's something to consider. The gun so far only comes in .22. I'm thinking they tried it will larger caliberscandcthevrecoil disintegrated the electronics over time. So maybe we don't have to worry for a while about this guns tech spreading to other calibers.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It's a solution without a problem. Law abiding gun owners don't need wristbands and electronic locks and criminals will find a way around it.

Only feel good anti-gun people like it and are already talking about legislation mandating it on all new guns.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Only feel good anti-gun people like it and are already talking about legislation mandating it on all new guns.

Oh cool. So glad I already have my mk18 on the way, and while I already have a 1911, maybe I should finally get that really nice one I've always wanted, like a Wilson Combat or something, before they start butchering them with sh!t like this.

I'll tell you what though, the value on all the old guns will almost certainly go up if they succeed, just like the 1986 ban on full auto. Same gun, with a slightly different fire selector, instead of 500 bucks goes for 30-40 grand and up (for a ar-15). Even the cheapest of guns like mac 10's or something go for like 7 grand. Crazy. I've seen mini-guns for like 350 grand, lol.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

What a great story. This was a hilarious video on MSNBC…this gun dealer coming on after being bludgeoned by the threats of death by gun nuts for selling this smart gun.

I was transfixed watching it as he cussed and groaned sitting next to a bottle of Cutty Shark scotch whiskey while sipping a shot of it and smoking a cigarette. He waxed frustration over the gun nuts getting him to stop selling the smart gun.

He had to relent and stop selling it

What a story, great TV--a rare thing but a true American story indeed!

edit on 6-5-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

New Jersey? You have my sympathies. Hopefully the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania won't turn but with the two big cities on either end, it could.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

New Jersey? You have my sympathies. Hopefully the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania won't turn but with the two big cities on either end, it could.

Let's collectively cross our fingers. Hopefully even if it does all go to hell, all the stuff already owned will be grandfathered in.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

This obviously makes this a wireless connection between the wrist watch and the firearm. That means it's easily hackable. With the level of development available to the government they should be able to shut down anything within a mile. In fact probably shutting down an entire neighborhood. Will they then issue a remote shut off to the police so they can shut them off for traffic stops? Or at school entrances, movie theaters, restaurants etc. Being a responsible CCW owner will mean nothing.

No thanks don't let them fool you, this is for government & Law enforcement not for safety of citizens. If it makes accidents better for children lets start with car keys, medications, chemicals. Cops have a higher level of domestic violence, alcohol, and suicide let them start there.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I don't wear a watch and have not for over 30 years. i worked as a electrician and watches are a hazard.

Since i retired i have my cell phone. plus the blood thinner i take cause bruising from things like watches.

The time i would likely need a gun quick is in the middle of the night and that is the time i would least likely to wear a watch.
I will keep my 1911 or my P-38 for protection as they both are dependable and i don't have to hunt down a watch in the dark to get them to work.
Plus with my 1911 i can beat them to death if i run out of ammo.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
If smart guns are anything like all the smart TV's and garbage they sell to y'all consumers, I'll pass.

I'll go with a big old dumb caveman club any day, the 30 round capacity one I have.

I can miss 29 times with it.

Technology just guarantees failure.

Eventually your damned car will say "Do not open, no user (dopey, consumer parts within/enclosed/whatever), right on the damned hood, high end junk will of course have a stylishly subliminal message that doesn't resemble a sticker so much, like verhiculers I can't afford, but my dumb ass will still fix em for y'alls.

Wait........... How did we end up like this?, so many of us not being able to fix the devices we need to save our very lives?...?

Misfire, recharge and attempt to fire again....

Smart guns are only to solve the issue of stolen weapons being used for nefarious purposes by stupid people who can't circumvent the features built into the gun to prevent it from firing by unauthorized users, if it does what a gun does anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of how they work can circumvent those features.

You can't take a dumb weapon (Smart) and prevent it's use by anyone who possesses more than two operational brain cells unless it somehow self destructs when fed the wrong input.....

Smart weapons are for dumb people......OK.......

That actually does ring true...

edit on 6-5-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: narf

edit on 6-5-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: edit

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I would imagine that with a gun that requires a watch/gun interface to work properly, then it would be possible to create a jamming signal or interference device to keep it from actually working.

I'd imagine all kinds of scenarios where a jammed signal (guessing RF signal) could be an issue or used against the owner.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I would prefer this activation/security technology to steer in the direction of voice command (simple command with code - like in the self destruct sequence code in the Star Trek series LOL) or some type of bodily (owner's palm/finger/eye) identification. If Ford and the big cell phone companies think voice command is a reliable option, then I tend to believe this is where the future in security and quick access lies with guns too.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
I would prefer this activation/security technology to steer in the direction of voice command (simple command with code - like in the self destruct sequence code in the Star Trek series LOL) or some type of bodily (owner's palm/finger/eye) identification. If Ford and the big cell phone companies think voice command is a reliable option, then I tend to believe this is where the future in security and quick access lies with guns too.

If we are going to go there, I want a Phaser.... no wrist watch link on that either... thank you.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Appreciate the sentiment but I don't live there. I was just pointing out that some of us are going to pay a higher price than others should this thing go on sale and NJ's law is proof of concept for any number of less gun-friendly states like CT, NY, MA, CA, etc...

PA has been dangerously close to the tipping point. The long-time gun-friendly state could pull a Colorado. Any state could if we arent paying attention.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: InTheLight

If we are going to go there, I want a Phaser.... no wrist watch link on that either... thank you.

I'd have to agree with you there.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Coming back this morning and reading all your comments I've yet to see anyone say this so called "Smart-Gun" is a good idea.

Look I'm a tech guy, I love my gadgets and toys... I get a geekgasim every time I walk into Best Buy!
But this watch band gimmick seems to be just that... something to make 100 year old tech more appealing to the techies like me... but it falls well short of the mark.

Okay what they should of done is a 1911 .45 with 5g broadband and GPS that lets you track your targets while watching funny cat videos on YouTube. To be sold threw the Apple iStores of course...

all your .357 and .44 mags will be android based and sold threw Google.

Wonder if they can figure out how we can download more ammo?

Stop laughing... it's no more a stupid idea that a gun that won't shoot unless your wearing it's matching bangle or watch...geez
edit on 7-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Stop laughing... it's no more a stupid idea that a gun that won't shoot unless your wearing it's matching bangle or watch...geez

I was laughing too, lol, but you're right, it's not funny. I mean, just think, already we're expected to keep all our guns in a safe, with possibly even guns locks on it, with the safety on of course, unloaded, and maybe even disassembled if they had their way.

So when some bad guy, or a group of bad guys breaks into your house, now not only am I supposed to run to the safe (mine is all the way in the basement), remember the code, open it, find the key for the gun lock, unlock it, find the ammo, load it, take the safety off, and possibly even assemble it somewhere in that process, all under duress, and now they want to add ANOTHER step to that process by adding a stupid wrist band? F**k that,... I always say.

BTW, I keep multiple guns in my room. Both a 1911, a glock 17c, and a decked out mk18 (soon with suppressor if the ATF ever finds my forms). I just keep them unloaded, that's all. Ammo's nearby though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join