posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:58 PM
It wasn't the phone that exploded, it was the battery. Unlike iPhones, the batteries in Samsung devices are not integral. They are removable, and
therefore must be considered to be a separate object from the phone itself.
Samsung batteries use a hard-shell casing, and are a lot safer than the pouch casing used by iPhone batteries. Indeed I believe that there have been
more iPhone battery fires/explosions than Samsung ones, but its hard to get definitive statistics, as Apple buys people's silence with large payouts.
This is only the 4th Samsung battery explosion I've heard about that I can recall.
Lets consider that it exploded while in her pocket, I would suggest this could be because she might have sat on it, compressing the batteries internal
terminals together, causing a dead short, leading to an overheat and subsequent explosion. No evidence for this, of course, it just seems like the
most likely course of events.
Lets not sensationalize this, or extrapolate it to suggest that Samsung products are unsafe. They are as safe as any other mobile phone. Manufacturing
faults happen. Operator faults happen. Children sitting on them happen. At this point we don't definitively know why it exploded, and probably never
Its a shame for the girl, and I hope she makes a full recovery.