It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Explodes in 7-Year Old Girl’s Pocket, Inflicts Serious Burns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
www.intomobile.com...

A seven-year-old girl was inflicted with serious burns on her leg after a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone exploded in her pocket, causing major burns which necessitated a skin transplant. The event adds to the laundry list of exploding smartphones which has grown in the recent years. Just last July, a Samsung Galaxy S3 blew up in a Swiss woman’s pocket causing third degree burns.

The most easy to explode cell phone brand .

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: candlestick

The unfortunate event took place in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan while the girl, Ariana Aitzhan was playing outside near her home.

I can tell you what the Samsung executives said when they first heard of it. It would have gone something like this.

"Well, at least it was in Kazakhstan! Should only cost a few Thousand of whatever pennies they use over there. Could you imagine the cost if it was a Hollywood film star! OK, we play the nice guy on this one and pay the medical bills, get the phone back for an autopsy and then we can blame it on mistreatment of the device by the owner. By the way, who was it again? Oh a kid, great, easy to pin the blame on then."

P

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Lithium batteries do bad things. If you don't plan very very well for circuit failures, they do them more often.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

This company only good at brainwashing in MSM ,they don't consider the quality...
The quality of their customers....well ...
Never understand people who buy Samsung products nowadays .

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I honestly do not know what the mobile phone companies are thinking sometimes. It is pretty simple. When you create a gadget which has as much processing power as a ten year old, top of the line PC, put it in a shell that is less than a centimetre thick, four or five inches long, and a little less wide, the heat build up in such a small area is bound to cause issues!

The fact is, that if these phones are to be marketed for public use, then they ought to be tested so that they can operate safely in the hottest, and the coldest inhabited locations on the planet, without even a 0.0001 percent chance of this sort of combustion taking place. These are things we hold in our hands, store about our bodies, and have to hold up to our heads to use sometimes. Nothing which requires that much physical interaction ought to be an explosive hazard!
edit on 6-5-2014 by TrueBrit because: Spelling and grammar corrections

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The event adds to the laundry list of exploding smartphones which has grown in the recent years. Just last July, a Samsung Galaxy S3 blew up in a Swiss woman’s pocket

so putting this in perspective - that's 2 events in 10 months , world wide

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I believe I understand "what the mobile phone companies are thinking ".
More broke cell phone =more people to buy a new
So they don't need to make it with good quality.

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

The event adds to the laundry list of exploding smartphones which has grown in the recent years. Just last July, a Samsung Galaxy S3 blew up in a Swiss woman’s pocket

so putting this in perspective - that's 2 events in 10 months , world wide

Adding a locale case:

Samsung Galaxy S4 reportedly explodes and burns down a house in Hong Kong by NDTV Correspondent, July 30, 2013

gadgets.ndtv.com...
edit on 6-5-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It's not the phone that explode but the battery ! these type of battery will explode if the case is puncture or anything inside is expose to air ! But seriously dont give a phone to a kid of that age they run they crash... all these move can break the battery seal

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

without even a 0.0001 percent chance of this sort of combustion taking place.

mobile phone safety seems to surpass your " requirement " so what now ?

assertion based on absence of evidence
based on the premise that there are > 2 billion ACTIVE phones in use - and there is no evidence that 200 thousand of them have exploded

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Euuuwww! I had no idea. Thought the big problem was cancer caused by radiation.

F&S
edit on 6/5/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Could also have to do with the charging method she was using. I know if these things are not charged with the correct charger they tend to have issues as well.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Apple cult arriving in 3...2...1..

Really blaming Samsung for something that happens maybe what 10 times a year? over the millions of phones being used daily? I don't think that's bad at all...

The only reason this is gaining momentum is because it was a small kid, somehow the value of a kid is rated higher as that of an adult. ( not a popular opinion but it's the truth, if you believe in equality that is ).

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
More to the point.. Why has a seven year old got a samsung galaxy?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: misscurious
More to the point.. Why has a seven year old got a samsung galaxy?

The Galaxy two is an old model. Probably given to the child when the parent got something better.

On topic.. I work in tech support for a cell phone company and the s2 has a known issue with the phone where the batteries fail and vibrate constantly even when the phone is off. It was reported to us by Samsung. That being said... It's one of the only devices with a known hardware issue that causes battery faults and the batteries almost never explode. It's a truly rare phenomenon. It is terrible she got hurt, though.

Also Samsung sells way more devices than any other manufacturer. Probably why you get it with Samsung. It used to be Nokia phones where the "exploding phones", but at that time Nokia dominated the cell phone market too. Samsung Sales

Manufacturer Annual Sales

Added: I wonder if the higher temperature in that country would increase the chances of a lithium battery exploding. For instance is it was sitting in the sun for a while before being placed in her pocket. Just a thought.
edit on 6-5-2014 by xistence05 because: added comment

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here's a couple more for the pile here
here

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Okay I have a Galaxy and I am sensing some Samsung hatred here haha

To set the record straight, numerous Iphones have exploded as well this is a widespread problem. Give me a moment ill dig up some Iphone exploding links lol.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

you mean like this ? goo.gl...
edit on 6-5-2014 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Next time buy an iPhone.
Only kidding, I'm sure they blow up too.
If you don't want the risk, buy a regular phone. They still sell flip phones and the like.
As they get older, the risk goes up.
You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning. Or getting in a fatal car accident.

No point in living in fear, I still drive to work everyday.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I don't get it...why would a 7 year old child need to carry a phone

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I would take ANY exploding Samsung over some NSA sanctioned, Nazi inspired, Apple product. Brand cheer leading aside, this is a known threat if lithium batteries and why many people charge them in fire bags.

I am sure that US news agency will exploit this story to it's fullest. The US clearly has an agenda to keep Samsung - who has double the global market share as apple - out of the US. Samsung is having to release new models way more often than it needs to to stay ahead of apple just to stay ahead of suits filed by apple to ban Samsung sales in the US. The last patent case in the US ended in Samsungs favor and Obama overturned it citing "not in the interest of US industries"

Apple has nowhere to go but down. Nothing to offer the market with crappy products so they resort to lobbying news agencies to help them scare consumers away from a superior brand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join