It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five big US internet providers are slowing down Internet access until they get more cash.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
five-big-internet-providers-are-slowing-do wn-internet-access-until

The basic problem is those six broadband providers want Level 3 to pay them to deliver traffic. Level 3 believes that's unreasonable. After all, the ISPs' own customers have already paid these ISPs to deliver the traffic to them. And the long-standing norm on the internet is that endpoint ISPs pay intermediaries, not the other way around. Level 3 notes that "in countries or markets where consumers have multiple broadband choices (like the UK) there are no congested peers." In short, broadband providers that face serious competition don't engage in this kind of brinksmanship.

why does net neutrality matter?

anyone noticing slowdowns on sites?

its because isp's are not happy simply getting the consumers money, they want to double dip.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
100Mb/s here ,didn't feel slow down.
People can change the connection number of the browser to accelerate.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
These guys should be sanctioned. Take their toys away one at a time until they shut their pie holes. Companies like this should be seen and not heard.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mrmeeseeks

When did this flim flammery begin?

They have been paid by end users to provide a service. Failure to deliver that service despite receiving payment for it, amounts to theft in my opinion, and it is my estimation that the customers should unite and take these punks to court.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It was already being slowed by NSA, here it's diabolical. DSN error time and time again, response times back from ATS are another source of error.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Havent noticed any slow down yet. Though I never noticed when they increased the bandwidth either.

Sucks to not get what you pay for but if the prices fall with the bandwidth I'd be okay with that.

I think higher bandwidths have in a sense ruined the Internet. Not for media streaming but for web design and advertising. Pages are getting more gimmicky and more flashy and advertisements are all loud as hell video loops.

I miss the days of straight up text making up the bulk of a website. I miss the old mobile ATS for example. The new site is useless on my mobile. Stopping the loading of all the scripts and images doesnt help any. It still sucks.

Less is more. With the extra bandwidth everybody is treating the Internet like a McMansion racing to fill it up with all sorts of crap.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
Havent noticed any slow down yet. Though I never noticed when they increased the bandwidth either.

Sucks to not get what you pay for but if the prices fall with the bandwidth I'd be okay with that.

I think higher bandwidths have in a sense ruined the Internet. Not for media streaming but for web design and advertising. Pages are getting more gimmicky and more flashy and advertisements are all loud as hell video loops.

I miss the days of straight up text making up the bulk of a website. I miss the old mobile ATS for example. The new site is useless on my mobile. Stopping the loading of all the scripts and images doesnt help any. It still sucks.

Less is more. With the extra bandwidth everybody is treating the Internet like a McMansion racing to fill it up with all sorts of crap.

Yes, but it seems Google are coming down hard on website advertising flooding at the top...so they say. It doesn't stop them pissing about on Youtube though, with video covered in boxes that you need to click off to be able to see anything. They just don't get that nobody wants that crap.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well sounds like intentional neglect of service to me. Even breach of contract may be applicable. You guys should sue if they are really doing this.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
So am I right in understanding the "big 5" all operate, in effect, as monopolies in their area's?

Why is there no competition? Here in the UK, our state-owned monopoly was sold off and broken up in the 80's/90's and now they have to provide access to their network sites and infrastructure to other providers (at a reasonable rate decided by the regulator)

I would have thought that in the US, the home of the "free market", this would be the case, but apparently not. At least net neutrality has been preserved in the EU, so you should all emigrate!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: mrmeeseeks

I received a call from my internet provider yesterday, they were asking me the same question, "have we noticed a slow down and for X amount of dollars a month we could get a signal booster"....hmmmmm.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

Obviously (I'm sure you know this) don't fall for that. If nothing has physically changed then there is no need for a "signal booster" as they are clearly throttling you.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Oh no, I did not fall for their little marketing scheme. Although, if they put the thought out there that there may be a "supposed" slow down, how many people will fall for it? Even a couple dollars a month generates huge revenue for these guys.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: candlestick

How do you do that trick BTW?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

Yes, but it seems Google are coming down hard on website advertising flooding at the top...so they say. It doesn't stop them pissing about on Youtube though, with video covered in boxes that you need to click off to be able to see anything. They just don't get that nobody wants that crap.

I have to wonder who buys stuff from those annoying pop up ads, and doesn't look immediately for the "X" on both those and you tubes. I haven't clicked on an add for as long as memory serves me other than an ATS one awhile back that was text only, and was something I wanted to check out. It wasn't in my way but was in my line of sight. Too many distractions and we don't see anything at all IMO.

If these companies being referred to are our major hubs that may explain a few issues I've had. Depending on what site I'm trying to get to, and what path it is taking, I have noticed a significant slow down. However, those whose pages we are trying to get to are the ones truly paying - through loss of customers or viewers. If I can't get to where I want to be, it isn't meant to be. If this is not the issue, and it's "all sites" for some then it sounds like the cost is being passed on because "they can".

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I heard about the protest on NPR this morning. I haven't had any issues but I also don't do alot of streaming of video or musis. I was on Netflix for about three hours this morning and didn't notice anything. Netflix and others weren't going to slow their speeds but just post the little loading circle worm for awareness only. I have the newest internet connection sponsered by a famous search engine company and it is always fast. But that does not matter if individual websites deside to clock their speeds down.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

How do you change the connection number? I hope you are not refering to dialup.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
See what happens when you give corporations control over essential services? Extortion.

Nationalize all ISP's. Don't pay a cent for it. Just take it. Call me a communist if you like. I have not had a complement all day, I could use one.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConstantlyWondering

How do you change the connection number? I hope you are not refering to dialup.

no if you go into your DNS settings I think it is and change it to 8.8.8.8.8.8.8.4.4 I think is the number (check the number it's the dns for google) Instead of going through a middle dns you just go straight to one. So like when you go to a webpage you go through your ip dns, then google, and when it finds it it goes from google, to your ip dns and then back to your computer. So if you change your dns to the google one it goes from point A to point B.

I use an addon for chrome that I don't get youtube ads or ads on any webpages. Not sure if I can mention it here but if anybody wants to know message me.

new topics

top topics

join