It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first experience in float tank/sensory deprivation pod

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndigoGoGo
Like you i've contemplated sensory deprivation, unlike you, I had only heard of dark rooms and caves which require a week or so of eating/sleeping in the dark.
The tank thing is new to me, I wonder what long term effects this could have for spiritual development?
Maybe the short time is not enough for the body to adjust.
Are the tanks becoming popular? I live in the UK, so maybe one day someone will get one in a large enough City.

Thanks for the info

EDIT
Just located some
floatworks.com...

Are these the same?

floatbeyond.com...

I would say that yes the tanks are becoming pretty popular. Its sorta like the "in" thing now to do. From what I've researched there are a lot of long term positive effects from a spiritual/psychological stand point. I know for me in the normal day my mind is always running and last night I experienced absolute quietness where I was able to only focus on my breathing and meditation. There are also benefits from a physical stand point for everyday aches and pains. Yes those are the tanks. What is show on the webpage is the the tank I was in last night.

edit on 6-5-2014 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLegend
So people actually pay to lay in a mystified tub of salt and water?

How much did they charge you?

I'm always looking for new business opportunities.

Rates differ. After 9 pm it's $25 per hour, during the day time the rates are $45, the overnight float which I am going to do next is $60 for 6 hrs.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoangkongfuey
Like many people here, I first heard about the isolation tank from Joe Rogan and was very interested in trying it. I looked up and read many reviews about other people's experiences and pretty much did my research on the tank so that I can prepare myself on what to expect.

I did my first float (1 hour session) about a week ago but it was uneventful. Once I got into the tank, I positioned myself and turned off the light and tried to concentrate on my breathing. The hardest part for me was not scratching an itch, but that goes away in a few seconds. After awhile I started to see these white fuzzy lines around my peripherals. There were times where I think I was almost there but then I would realize it and then I was back into reality, although it could also be that I was dozing off and almost falling asleep and then realizing that and snapping out of it. Sometimes I would gently bump into the wall but then I would center myself after that, I also felt a breeze of sorts, I'm guessing from some kind of air cycling into the tank and this would take me out of the experience.

About 5-10 mins before the session ended, music came on and I slowly got up, feeling the water running down my face and I immediately grabbed the spray bottle because I knew it was going towards my eyes. Luckily it wasn't too bad because I knew what to do haha. Even though my first experience was uneventful, it was very relaxing and I would do it again. I've read that for some people you would have to do it about 3 times to get used to it and get the full experience.

I would like to mention that I have never meditated and don't really consider myself very creative. I don't draw, play any instruments, or stimulate my brain much (which is kind of sad to admit). This might have contributed to my uneventful float but hopefully the next time I go, I'll have a more memorable experience.

When I got out of the tank I spoke with the owner and asked him specifically if a lot of his floaters have experiences. His answer was that there are not a lot who do have experiences. Which I would imagine it could be related to any number of reasons why. For me personally, I was not surprised that I had an experience right off the bat as I've had numerous experiences through out my life. The owner did say that the more float time you have and how your float is done (with or without light and noise in the tank) does have a great influence on the float itself. He also suggested pairing the float with a nurotropic a few hrs before hand. So that is something I am going to look into before the overnight float.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: w810i

Rates differ. After 9 pm it's $25 per hour, during the day time the rates are $45, the overnight float which I am going to do next is $60 for 6 hrs.

That's pretty cheap! Here in Arizona, there is only 1 location to go to and they charge $79 for a 1 hour float but I had a discount code for first timers that reduced it to $49. They also have membership plans for $59 a month and $49 for additional floats.

When I got out of the tank I spoke with the owner and asked him specifically if a lot of his floaters have experiences. His answer was that there are not a lot who do have experiences. Which I would imagine it could be related to any number of reasons why. For me personally, I was not surprised that I had an experience right off the bat as I've had numerous experiences through out my life. The owner did say that the more float time you have and how your float is done (with or without light and noise in the tank) does have a great influence on the float itself. He also suggested pairing the float with a nurotropic a few hrs before hand. So that is something I am going to look into before the overnight float.

That makes sense, some people are just more spiritual and perceptive to things then others. I personally have never had any kind of spiritual experience although I was hoping to get one through the tank. Maybe next time...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: w810i

never even heard of one before ^^ i'm gonna have to try this

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It's an AMAZING experience! Especially if you like to meditate. Just remember to cover your eyes or make sure not to get any water in your eyes! That stuff stings like a bee shot and it'll ruin the ride in no time. 30 minutes or so the first go then try to work your way up to 1 hour for one killer relaxation. Dosn't really matter if you want to meditate or not, it's that sweet

Too bad theres no place to float in my hometown. 1 hour drive away and I could really use it after what was probably the most stressy week of my life :/ After reading this I'm gonna go ahead and give them a call, thanks for remindig me of this OP! It's been too long since the last time..

edit on 6-5-2014 by threepwood because: Spelling and some addition

edit on 6-5-2014 by threepwood because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoangkongfuey

originally posted by: w810i

That's pretty cheap! Here in Arizona, there is only 1 location to go to and they charge $79 for a 1 hour float but I had a discount code for first timers that reduced it to $49. They also have membership plans for $59 a month and $49 for additional floats.

That makes sense, some people are just more spiritual and perceptive to things then others. I personally have never had any kind of spiritual experience although I was hoping to get one through the tank. Maybe next time...

I was very surprised at how reasonable they were. There was a place in the next town over that charged $149 per float. however, they are now out of business.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: threepwood
It's an AMAZING experience! Especially if you like to meditate. Just remember to cover your eyes or make sure not to get any water in your eyes! That stuff stings like a bee shot and it'll ruin the ride in no time. 30 minutes or so the first go then try to work your way up to 1 hour for one killer relaxation. Dosn't really matter if you want to meditate or not, it's that sweet

Too bad theres no place to float in my hometown. 1 hour drive away and I could really use it after what was probably the most stressy week of my life :/ After reading this I'm gonna go ahead and give them a call, thanks for remindig me of this OP! It's been too long since the last time..

oh man does it ever sting. When I got out I got some in my eye I was running for the shower!! What really surprised me was just how much the water was different. When I was taking the tour before hand I was surprised and dismayed that the water was only 10 inches deep. I had assumed that it was at least 2 foot deep. However, when I got it and got situated I tested it by trying to rollover on my stomach (pretty much impossible) even trying to put my hands on the bottom of the tank took an extreme amount of effort.
edit on 6-5-2014 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I was intrigued by this when the movie "Altered States" came out, I watched it in a theatre or on beta, I don't remember for sure.

I reveal my age unintentionally...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Just to clarify to those who have seen the movie "Altered States", it's nothing like that (Hollywood likes to exaggerate). It's a very relaxing experience and for some, an eye opening experience.

If you are really thinking about trying it, I would recommend doing a bit of research. The history and effects of floating is very interesting!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner
I was intrigued by this when the movie "Altered States" came out, I watched it in a theatre or on beta, I don't remember for sure.

I reveal my age unintentionally...

Several posters have suggested this movie. I am going to have to check it out.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I remember everything when I can get out and zoom around on my bicycle really slow over long periods of time.

I went on a two month bicycle ride once, and must go on a longer one again soon before I am too old like my dog I must help with things that some would resort to euthanasia to resolve.

Anyway....

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

At one point the gentle current that it felt like I was riding stopped and I could feel a wall and floor materialize under me and as I looked around I was in my childhood home, ten years old and listening to my mom (who has passed) scold me.

Outstanding. Thats exactly what mediation is designed to achieve. In the absence of all distraction, we relive past traumas in order to resolve them in our psyche. Thats a sometimes not pleasant road and definitely a sign of "class in session".

We have no control over the selection or order of these "lessons", they are provided for us when we are still and quiet.

Of course meditation out of a tank is less expensive and requires more practice time to achieve the same results.

Be still and know.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Several posters have suggested this movie. I am going to have to check it out.
Yah, its a good movie with a twist. But still just a movie. People are mentioning it because of experiments with the very same tank (and mushrooms).

Shrooms and acid are their own "tank".

I don't recommend mixing beer and hard liquor either.

(but see the movie)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply w810i

I have looked a bit further after your confirmation
This distributor lists many clients offering the tanks
www.floataway.com...
I hope this is some use to those who live in smaller populated areas, trying to find a suitable service.
I am also sure that this will not be the only distributor, so the list is far from definitive.

I think I know what I will be saving up for, a train ticket, plus isolation fee.
I am very interested, to try the 1 hour then maybe the 6 hour session.

Last thoughts:
Wonder if I could get a similar effect with my home bath and salt?
Or maybe outdoor heated pool filled with salt?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IndigoGoGo

That would take a lot of salt for the pool! You might think about oxygen? Then you could stay submerged and still have the same sensation (and still be able to breath). I can't remember how the guy in 'Altered States' did it. I don't remember him being hooked up to O2 or anything like that. Huh, I'll have to watch again.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I often wanted to spend 2 weeks in with sight, sound, smell taken away.
Without support it is so impractical.
I see myself having an accident at home, it would just be me burning myself or tripping over my own feet with no sight.

This tank sounds the most practical way, I guess DIY is not an option, I can see myself clogging up the sewer with a ton of salt!

Would love to hear of more peoples experiences, and if there are long term benefits for those on a meditation path.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Altered States is actually a pretty bad movie that hollywoodizes the whole thing... but it is fun.

Better than that, read the books by John C. Lilly, the neuroscientist who helped develop and popularize the whole idea in the late 50's-60's.

His whole life is fascinating and his change from a firm materialist to a firm knower of spiritual matters is pretty epic.

Thanks for the thread as I had forgotten and wanted to try it again... the first time I did it in the 80's at a friends home built tank was extraordinary... and besides being relaxing and mind expanding, was darned fun... but I augmented the experience with chemical three letter help... I'd like to try it with normal physiology and see if it is as wild.

Luckily, there is a place in Tucson, AZ and I think I'll give them a call... worth 100$ for two trips, I'd say.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i have floated numerous times. my most intense experience goes like this:

my 2nd time in the sensory deprivation tank something extra ordinary happened to me.i was particularly anxious this day, for no apparent reason. keep in mind that inside the tank it is totally lightless, so when you open and close your eyelids you don't notice a difference after a while.

after awhile in the tank the blackness infront of my eyes began to brighten, almost as if i was looking into the night sky in an open field somewhere where it was black all around and you could see every little star. i began to feel excited. then i noticed something creeping into my field of vision.

i could make out the silhouette of something with a head, but it was just a featureless black being which automatically drove fear into my mind. i began to feel a sensation like my body was spinning clock wise and upwards, only my arms and legs were not hitting the sides of the tank. i realized i must of been astral projecting an thought "holy #. it's happening." i rose out of my body and resisted this, i became very scared because of the being hovering over me. suddenly i came back down and noticed myself in the tank. this was my first out of body experience.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: otisdriftwood
i have floated numerous times. my most intense experience goes like this:

my 2nd time in the sensory deprivation tank something extra ordinary happened to me.i was particularly anxious this day, for no apparent reason. keep in mind that inside the tank it is totally lightless, so when you open and close your eyelids you don't notice a difference after a while.

after awhile in the tank the blackness infront of my eyes began to brighten, almost as if i was looking into the night sky in an open field somewhere where it was black all around and you could see every little star. i began to feel excited. then i noticed something creeping into my field of vision.

i could make out the silhouette of something with a head, but it was just a featureless black being which automatically drove fear into my mind. i began to feel a sensation like my body was spinning clock wise and upwards, only my arms and legs were not hitting the sides of the tank. i realized i must of been astral projecting an thought "holy #. it's happening." i rose out of my body and resisted this, i became very scared because of the being hovering over me. suddenly i came back down and noticed myself in the tank. this was my first out of body experience.

That is very interesting and somewhat creepy!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join