It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first experience in float tank/sensory deprivation pod

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: lost in space
It sounds amazing. I have meditated and got close to that experience. It is kind of sad that with our rush rush rush world all we really want is to be still and quite. I wish I could try it but alas I live in a small town and I am poor.Hmmm.... bathtub, epsom salts, and warm water. Turn out the lights and send the kids for a sleep over....get out the ipod and earphones. a reply to: w810i

Not a bad idea at all...

For instance:

Most of us are deficient in magnesium, so I’m going to put on my wise-granny hat on here and tell you this: soaking in a bath with Epsom salt, which is high in magnesium, is one of the easiest ways to get a boost.

According to the National Academy of Sciences, American’s magnesium deficiency helps to account for high rates of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive maladies, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a number of other ailments. Who knew?!

Our magnesium levels have dropped by half in the last century due to changes in agriculture and diet. Industrial farming has depleted magnesium from soil and the typical American diet contains much less magnesium than that of our forefathers

While both magnesium and sulfate can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with Epsom salt!

Source

Even with out the main point of a float tank of exploring who you are and what's the point of the universe, you're still getting the added benefit of magnesium.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: w810i

I don't know if there are any float tank places around here in North Carolina, but I also heard about them from Joe Rogan and knew it was what I had been searching for. Every thing I have ever done to find out who me is, falls short where I can still sense outwardly. For me the closest I can get is laying in a sea of comforters with ear plugs, meditation, and some chemical help.

Now that I'm thinking about it time to go search for a place...

aww. Looks like float tanks are only allowed in North Carolina if there is a licensed physical therapist on staff.. But a place just opened near me. Doesn't quote a price, but Id imagine it's a bit much for my budget atm.

definitely going to try it out though.
edit on 6-5-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Watch the movie Altered States before the next visit

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Cool!. I always wondered what it would be like to be a pickled onion :-)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Here is a great documentary moderated by Hamilton from Vice.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Yeah, I mentioned that movie from 1980 back on the first page. I'd like to watch it again just for the heck of it. He might not want to do this any more if he does though...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: brazenalderpadrescorpio

I wonder if it's similar to meditation. Quieting your mind is hard at first, but after about two weeks it gets really easy. The trick for me is to not focus on anything in particular. Just let yor mind go. Eventually your mind learns what to do. Sorry if I derailed your thread.

Hi Brazen,

I feel what you're saying here.

I used to meditate a lot, one evening I was meditating (it's funny trying to think of nothing, because nothing is still something) anyhow .. I was so deep in meditation when all of a sudden, I had what can only be described as an epiphany ..

Suddenly, I knew the answer to ... everything !!

The dots were connected in perfect unison, everything was transparent and made perfect sense.

No sooner had this thought occurred I gasped deeply and sat bolt upright from Corpse Pose Yoga Pose ... and immediately forgot everything I'd cleaned in that nano-second !

It's a real discipline meditation, yoga and such.

Back to OP, the sensation/float tank is on my list of things to try ! Your experience sounds really amazing, wishing you every happiness on your journey.

T x

ETA: I'll never forget that experience, it was .. magical
edit on 652014 by idontfitinandidontwantto because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Great experience op, I was hooked after Mr. Rogan got me interested 4 years ago. I have floated 20-30 times and always had good experiences, nothing as vivid as yours though. The float that stands out was when I was in the tank almost 3 hours and had dozed off several times and all of a sudden there's this white light filling my minds eye, and this euphoric joyous sensation. I was startled by this and as my rational mind kicked in, the light and sensation disappeared.

You can buy a waterproof case for your phone online for a few bucks, make sure it has a waterproof port, and hook up some waterproof headphones. Listening to binaural beats in the tank takes it up a few notches, I preferred the silence myself.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer

Yeah, I mentioned that movie from 1980 back on the first page. I'd like to watch it again just for the heck of it. He might not want to do this any more if he does though...
LOL yeah kept me from experimenting with it

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Depriving the body of its faculties leads to strange results. Strange enough, depriving the body, or in some way distorting the body to achieve specific experiences, ie. through drugs, meditation, physical exertion, or illness, is sold as spirituality, when it does nothing but limit the one who practices it.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: idontfitinandidontwantto

I'm getting real close to an experience such as the one you described. My meditation has been much deeper lately. I think that given another month, and I perhaps will reach some type of nirvana. I never even believed that was possible before. Thanks for your response! How long were you meditating for when that happened? If you're scared of derailing the thread, then you can U2U me. Thanks. I notice that if you want results quickly, the key is to meditate for a long period of time (ex., an hour or more).

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It's because of that film I wanted to experience one. I was very fortunate to try one out for a two hour session 12 years ago.

BLOOMING AMAZING so it was.

For 3-4 days afterwards all my muscles were in a total state of relaxation. I was walking 'out of my hips' as a dancer would say, my spine felt amazing, I felt taller. Being a clinical aromatherapist, I used to practice meditation on a very regular basis, to the point where I taught it. What I also found after this experience was a heightened level of awareness, energy flowing through my body fluidly. The first two days I felt as though I was walking about 2' above the ground......I was well 'ungrounded' yet very, very aware of everything around me much more than normal. Colours were also much more vibrant.

I didn't want to be totally sensory deprived the first time, so the float centre piped my favourite meditation CD into the tank. Unfortunately I relocated before I could go back and have another session, and there are non close to where I live right now.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

originally posted by: w810i
Its my understanding it gets better the more times you do it. I've always had a problem quieting my mind down. In there it was blessed silence!!

If you are interested in similar experiences, may I suggest Binaural Beats, cautiously.

I recommend some exp with meditation as well before you try.

Ummm...I would also be interested in trying an isolation tank, but I'm a tad fearful as well....The binaural beats can be really potent, (very)......When I meditate...it's an extremely deep, powerful experience and I can only meditate for short periods of time...Even just thinking about it brings on a deep altered state of "not thinking"...I think my fear stems from the awesome power that meditation invokes and the realization of the responsibility entailed in such pursuit.

By responsibility I mean never using such...for gain...or abuse of the presence/attraction/magnetism that such influences in others....it's hard to remain humble in the center of powerful force and then give that force away for the benefit and wellbeing of others.........Yet...that is the most refreshing and pure action that I can think to gift...to selflessly give that power away...as compassion

YouSir

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism
Depriving the body of its faculties leads to strange results. Strange enough, depriving the body, or in some way distorting the body to achieve specific experiences, ie. through drugs, meditation, physical exertion, or illness, is sold as spirituality, when it does nothing but limit the one who practices it.

Ummm...I would have to disagree...Meditation is anything...but...limiting. When you quell all of the chaos that permeates everyday existence...it opens one to everything. When you can experience totality as singularity there simply is no limit......

I'm surprised by your avatar... the Egyptian elite practiced meditation in the form of ritualized chakra entrainment......However they also bypassed the Svadhisthana or sacral chakra and substituted one to the left in the spleen area in order to not rouse sexual tension. This is also the method used by the Masons in some of their upper level practice...as masonry developed from Egyptian practice.

YouSir

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I could certainly see how this could become very addicting. I'm half tempted to set up another appointment for tonight...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm...I would have to disagree...Meditation is anything...but...limiting. When you quell all of the chaos that permeates everyday existence...it opens one to everything. When you can experience totality as singularity there simply is no limit......

Most people would disagree with me, the status quo loves their romance, but quelling anything is to limit it. To experience totality as singularity is to experience very little. No one has anything to show for it, except what they've experienced in their thoughts. Perhaps its better to meditate while actually experiencing something. That is true meditation.

I'm surprised by your avatar... the Egyptian elite practiced meditation in the form of ritualized chakra entrainment......However they also bypassed the Svadhisthana or sacral chakra and substituted one to the left in the spleen area in order to not rouse sexual tension. This is also the method used by the Masons in some of their upper level practice...as masonry developed from Egyptian practice.

Very interesting.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Like you i've contemplated sensory deprivation, unlike you, I had only heard of dark rooms and caves which require a week or so of eating/sleeping in the dark.
The tank thing is new to me, I wonder what long term effects this could have for spiritual development?
Maybe the short time is not enough for the body to adjust.
Are the tanks becoming popular? I live in the UK, so maybe one day someone will get one in a large enough City.

Thanks for the info

EDIT
Just located some
floatworks.com...
floatbeyond.com...
Are these the same?
edit on 6-5-2014 by IndigoGoGo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So people actually pay to lay in a mystified tub of salt and water?

How much did they charge you?

I'm always looking for new business opportunities.

edit on 6-5-2014 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism
a reply to: YouSir

Most people would disagree with me, the status quo loves their romance, but quelling anything is to limit it. To experience totality as singularity is to experience very little. No one has anything to show for it, except what they've experienced in their thoughts. Perhaps its better to meditate while actually experiencing something. That is true meditation.

Very interesting.

Ummm...Again I must disagree with you...There are certain epiphanaic (I know, but it should be a word) to say the least, experiences that can result...not to mention more focused physical abilities that can be husbanded. There are whole disciplines built around their usage...I.E., Reiki, Yoga...(the real deal not the westernized stretching only exercise) Falun Gong, (or Qi Gong), Tai Chi, Kung FU, etc., etc., etc...

All of these disciplines are core quiescent, rather, they require one to inhabit a calm, tranquil center that begins with..."thinking not thinking" and progressing to "not thinking" or "void meditation"...along with harnessing Qi or Chi or Prana...

To conclude: There is very much to "show for it" and it is everything...but...limited...

YouSir

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Like many people here, I first heard about the isolation tank from Joe Rogan and was very interested in trying it. I looked up and read many reviews about other people's experiences and pretty much did my research on the tank so that I can prepare myself on what to expect.

I did my first float (1 hour session) about a week ago but it was uneventful. Once I got into the tank, I positioned myself and turned off the light and tried to concentrate on my breathing. The hardest part for me was not scratching an itch, but that goes away in a few seconds. After awhile I started to see these white fuzzy lines around my peripherals. There were times where I think I was almost there but then I would realize it and then I was back into reality, although it could also be that I was dozing off and almost falling asleep and then realizing that and snapping out of it. Sometimes I would gently bump into the wall but then I would center myself after that, I also felt a breeze of sorts, I'm guessing from some kind of air cycling into the tank and this would take me out of the experience.

About 5-10 mins before the session ended, music came on and I slowly got up, feeling the water running down my face and I immediately grabbed the spray bottle because I knew it was going towards my eyes. Luckily it wasn't too bad because I knew what to do haha. Even though my first experience was uneventful, it was very relaxing and I would do it again. I've read that for some people you would have to do it about 3 times to get used to it and get the full experience.

I would like to mention that I have never meditated and don't really consider myself very creative. I don't draw, play any instruments, or stimulate my brain much (which is kind of sad to admit). This might have contributed to my uneventful float but hopefully the next time I go, I'll have a more memorable experience.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join