It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Poll Results: Some surprising insights in the political ideology visitor poll.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The question that immediately comes to mind is what is the "green" party for these other countries?

Because a liberal or a conservative in the US is not the same as a liberal or conservative anywhere else so is there a difference between a US "green" and a UK "green"?

Hard to really say that globally this poll has any value if there is a difference.

Even within a group in a country there are plenty of differences I can only image the range of differences between two individuals who identify as "green" half the distance of the globe from each other living in completely different cultures.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
Dont mind the high number of anarchists in the British colonies... It is only because we are such good people we know we would fair well even without the rules

"Computer says no"

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Nice poll but I'm really not surprised by the results. If the governments of the were to listen to the people instead of the profiteers the world would be a better place.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Conservatives edged out liberals in the US, while anarchists had a surprise strong showing in the land of the habitually polite and Tim Hortons, Canada. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Speaking for myself as a Canadian, we are not left without any other choice but anarchy...round and round and round we go.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
And there's me thinking that them thar 'chemtrail' believers are a wacky minority!

edit on 6-5-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Seeing the majority choose the answer stating their political views are a mix of political dogma definitely raised my level of hope for the human race. On the VAST majority of comment sections on websites, you're bound to see people obviously blindly supporting their party, spewing utter nonsense.

It's a breath of fresh air seeing a shred of hope that we're not indeed all sheep.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Ireland
From the land that pretty much invented Anarchists as a political movement, only five out of 39 votes picked anarchist with combination and Green party both tied for 27%. Must be the Guinness.

All the Irish anarchists use Canadian proxies.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Ireland
From the land that pretty much invented Anarchists as a political movement, only five out of 39 votes picked anarchist with combination and Green party both tied for 27%. Must be the Guinness.

All the Irish anarchists use Canadian proxies.

I thought it was the Americans and what was to become Labour day was something of a first for a style of Anarchism, the Chicago riots and all that.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

I am a little lost ... you are deriding people who have knee-jerk reactions to our ecologic problems by going with whatever sounds good... a true, accurate description of many and a big problem with people... but then you postulate the unknown, unplanned dangers of renewable energy by saying (I'm paraphrasing), that maybe using the wind will cause new deserts, maybe using solar energy will use up the sunlight that's needed elsewhere?

I hope you were being funny, or ironic... or anything else than what you said at face value.

The physics you imagine are very wrong. We can't 'use up' the sunlight and unless we make wind-farms the size of mountain chains, a few windmills won't change the weather... well, any more than a butterfly flapping might spawn a hurricane as in any semi-closed system. But the point that unintended consequences frequently happen when poor planning or knowledge is used, is a valid one. Look at our world, now, for instance.

But we now know that burning coal and oil is literally killing us and will drastically change the environment. Some have imagined a "Mad Max" scenario... but some of the projections based on all the data have a far worse result. It isn't too ridiculous to say that we might kill off enough forests and (more importantly) sea algae so that our atmosphere no longer has enough O2 for us, or most anything else, to breath.

Rising oceans, huge storms and crop failures are bad enough, but the more dire predictions aren't generally talked about. Heck, I don't like thinking about it either.

However, burning crap to make our energy is archaic and has been shown, conclusively, to be changing our environment in extreme ways that will seriously threaten civilization and millions, if not billions, of lives... at the least. Coming together and accepting change, in a big way, is our only hope.

We don't have to necessarily deprive ourselves. I'll miss big, loud muscle cars, but electric ones will work. Sure, oil barons won't be as rich (but we'll still use oil in everything, anyway) and coal miners will have to find a new job, but ox-cart makers had to change, too, not long ago.

Economics mean nothing if we're all dead.
edit on 5/6/2014 by Baddogma because: type-o

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
The most interesting aspect of this poll is the lack of libertarians in the UK, Canada, and Australia, and their strong support for the green party, which is not so strong in the US. But at least the "combination of political dogma" option is strong in all nations.

If I asked a brit what libertarian was they wouldn't know, would have never even heard of it... Of course the people coming to this site you would think they would know, but maybe not?

I was more surprised by the amount of anarchists, especially in canada! I would move there, only I am not allowed to leave the country unless I show some goon some "papers"...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am wondering if any of those votes from outside the US were "troll votes", only cast to mess with the numbers of a US centric poll myself. Maybe my tinfoil hat is a bit tight eh?
edit on Tue, 06 May 2014 18:37:13 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It underscores what I've said before to people from other nations when they say we in the US should be more like them - Our ancestors came here because they didn't want to be more like you. This poll sort of reflects it.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Your ancestors are still alive and their political leanings are reflected in the poll? :p

The funny thing is though your system is no different from the one we have (in the uk) lmao, in fact your constitution was based off the magna carta, was it not?

You even have something resembling the NHS now with obamacare lol

I reckon if your ancestors were alive today they would be sick to their stomach...
edit on 6-5-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

EDIT: Oh and btw if you think that poll reflects america then how come Ron Paul is not your president?

This poll is pretty useless to be honest, it only tells the political leanings of people that visit THIS site, the cross section is so tiny... I wouldn't say this poll reflects any of the countries really.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Conservatives edged out liberals in the US, while anarchists had a surprise strong showing in the land of the habitually polite and Tim Hortons, Canada. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Speaking for myself as a Canadian, we are not left without any other choice but anarchy...round and round and round we go.

That is the deal with all countries, round and round, big song and dance about the new guy that is gonna fix everything, only thing is, they get in and say F U! But people just grumble and carry on, another 4 years later same deal...

I mean look at bush, how in the world did that guy get elected twice, he could barely speak! Then Obama comes along and promises the world! How about "you can take that to the bank!"... But yet, still here, even got elected again! But hey we all know this garbage is rigged!

Anarchy is not a last resort, it is something to aspire to. IMHO

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

Your ancestors are still alive and their political leanings are reflected in the poll? :p

The funny thing is though your system is no different from the one we have (in the uk) lmao, in fact your constitution was based off the magna carta, was it not?

You even have something resembling the NHS now with obamacare lol

I reckon if your ancestors were alive today they would be sick to their stomach...

EDIT: Oh and btw if you think that poll reflects america then how come Ron Paul is not your president?

This poll is pretty useless to be honest, it only tells the political leanings of people that visit THIS site, the cross section is so tiny... I wouldn't say this poll reflects any of the countries really.

Oh, you're right about that, and I'm sick to my stomach. Methinks you protest too much. Did you see the split? Now reflect that this is a self-selecting population. Most people who choose to be less than informed don't bother to find places like this.

But do you contend that we are like you with exactly the same cultures and opinions? I think you'll find that's not true, and the poll reflects that. If we were the same, we'd have a much, much bigger Green Party for example with a much more competent representative than someone like Cynthia McKinney.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Well I think you guys are humans so pretty much the same as us, I have various American friends online and they appear to be no different from us. There are some differences of course but minor things really. I think "culture" is a lie, something that is aimed to divide us... I don't drink tea and play golf or say "wat wat old chap" lmao

Culture also locks you into a mindset, like you should act a certain way cos that is your culture...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It's great to see all the comparisons between countries.

I think I'm living in the wrong country. Great Britain or Australia are more my speed politically.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

If I would have placed a wager on poll results for each country I would be broke right now.

Very interesting poll SO. Great job!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Independent- Libertarian leaning. Anarcho Capitalist. [voted] Libertarian with a very strong conservative/constitutional leaning. - Made it way late to the poll, though I have already considered myself an Independent, finding early on I didn't fit in with my family or communities average Political leanings where I had lived, over anything else, but I do lean Libertarian more than either side.

Interesting, while not shocked on the results of other countries vs the US being different it's very telling but in a good way.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

I think the added part about States rights may have skewed it off some.

I personally feel, from my real life experiences of discussing politics with people; the mixed view is the most accurate for the majority of folks.

If asked, I would say I'm a moderate with conservative leanings on most things but with liberal leanings on some. Overall, my thoughts are...

please let me just live my life and I'll be more than happy to let you live yours and we would be much better off with a lot less government in all our lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join