It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The drinkable book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I saw this on TV the other day, and was intrigued. According to the manufacturer it costs like two dollars a book to produce and they are aiming at solving potable water issues in third world countries.

I have been thinking of water filtration a lot lately, and since the US is on its way to third world status, this looks like a promising candidate. Small, portable, cheap.

Take a look, let me know what you think of it.
sploid.gizmodo.com...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Wow!

That's awesome!

What a great idea!!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Here you go a video about that book...

Very interesting....

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Neat gimmick, but I agree with the followup posters, impractical when you really analyze it.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

In countries with a high death rate from water-borne diseases like cholera, this little gadget is a step in the right direction, imho. If I could find where to purchase one, I'd have one in my backpack for camping and one for the BOB.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Care to elaborate? At pennies to produce pages, a life of 4 years of filtration for a few dollars, the only impracticality I can even comprehend would be size for transporting massive amounts of these books around.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
that is a great invention , but is it made just for those poor people or is it available online , because when i went to their website i only found the word donate .

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
that is a great invention , but is it made just for those poor people or is it available online , because when i went to their website i only found the word donate .

That's where I'm at with this, I want some of these but can't find them anywhere. I think maybe they aren't being released just yet. I would think they would be made available for sale, as that could build revenue for their humanitarian project. So, something to keep an eye out for in the coming weeks.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Neat gimmick, but I agree with the followup posters, impractical when you really analyze it.

What is the impractical side of water filtration in a survival situation that you can carry in your backpack that will provide you with water for an entire year?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My question with this thing is, since it uses silver nitrate as the purification means, will the users turn blue??

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: Gazrok

What is the impractical side of water filtration in a survival situation that you can carry in your backpack that will provide you with water for an entire year?

I think the major complaints have been the fear of silver getting into soil and ground water. Since silver is so effective at killing bacteria, viruses and fungi, there is a concern of sterilizing soil of it's beneficial microbes if it were to be "contaminated" with silver. It's not an entirely unfounded concern but the more immediate need in underdeveloped countries is for clean, uncontaminated drinking water and practical information regarding hygiene and safe water practices. This product provides both and for developed countries, the entire book need not be carried, just one filter and use whatever clean receptacle is in your backpack to catch the filtered drippings.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Can't even validate the product existence/availability yet, let alone the claims (especially the production and retail costs). There is no way that figure is accurate.

new topics

top topics

join