It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC wins over substance; all girl black debate team wins by NOT debating the given topic

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This website never fails to depress me about the future daily. Instead of teaching the next generation how to convey their thoughts or arguments as clearly and concisely as possible, they are now putting the THROW AS MUCH CRAP AT THE WALL AND SEE WHAT STICKS approach to it. No wonder that's why it seems like our Politicians approach things that same way.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I have a stupid question. As white people are known as Caucasoid, then why is the word Negroid racist? Those are two anthropological terms.

We are referred to as Caucasians, so how is it racism to say Negros? Is it because of negative connotation? If that's the case, then biologists and anthropologists are racist by using that term when designating what racial group a skull belongs to, and there are very marked differences in skull shapes and hair follicle types between the two.

If we must stop saying Negro because it is racist, the white people should not be referred to as Caucasian. However, biologically, there is a designation for both, and Asiatics were formerly known as Mongoloids. That might not be PC, but the designations are made still in the scientific community.

How do we approach this terminology? If Caucasian is still ok to say, then Negro should be as well. Anyway, not trying to present racism, just pointing out the terminology.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

But in a academic setting it should one dialect used.

If only "should" solved all problems.

For the sake of argument, which dialect would that be?

That being said, I agree. I was merely responding to someone mocking the language as if it was a farce. Somehow that equates to me yelling "racist" at people, as Navy Doc, and perhaps you, feel threatened by. That's simply untrue. Facts are facts, and I was merely sharing one.

edit on 7|5|14 by Words because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

I have a stupid question. As white people are known as Caucasoid, then why is the word Negroid racist? Those are two anthropological terms.

I guess it's not a stupid question. Negro and even it's ugly cousin the N* word are not racist by themselves, it is context that makes them racist. With the N* word...well it was used to such a derogatory effect and with such hatred for so many years that White people pretty much stopped using it in any context and later black people tried to reclaim it for themselves, words have power and they wanted to exert themselves over a word that once was used to oppress them. That said I am not a fan of white or black people using the word.

As far as "Negro" it's what most southerners and others used briefly as a placeholder for N* word after civil rights made the N* word less acceptable...and thus "Negro" also got tainted.

That said I afford people using the word "Negro" grace dependent on context and age. Hell you could have the most tolerant non-racist old man in the south just use the word Negro out of habit...it is the CONTEXT that matters.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

lol.

context...

just last page, you insisted cliven bundy was a racist, because he used the word "negro", and now you're saying it's not a bad word?

jesus man, which is it?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
After sacrificing my sanity upon the altar of science and watching the full 4-hour debate finale, I can't believe some of you haters say you don't understand what those two debaters were saying...
Lemme break it down, check it—

First off, the pedagogic constructivism and predialectic nihilism of feministically racial exploitation
for the furtheration
of the predominant conceptual
abomination
detracts from the furniturization
of semioticist rap music throughout my brutha's and sista's
tamponically-neutered sequestration
Strung along a string theory premise of
postcapitalistic racial HBO cerealization
implying that culture is capable of Dish-Networking National Lampoon's Christmas Vaticanization
for any number of narratives concerning postmodern racial feminazi clitorisization
and while enhancifying the futility of the negroidization
of inner-city, predialectic

post-emancipation
-proclamation,
-subtextual
constipation
-that suppresses and oppresses
-those whose prehensility debatifies the presidentification
… of the War Powers Act.

Seems pretty clear to me~

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It honestly sounds to me, as though they had a stock standard speech prepared on oppression.. And that was going to be the answer.... regardless of the topic.

The rules of any debate are stay on topic or else....

The whole thing was like watching a chess game, where one person already has a game plan. With new invented moves. Regardless of logical objections, it was always going to come down to.... " I don't want to be black anymore" "or white ". I want my own game.
edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 3mperorConstantinE

holy christ...is that what was actually being said?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Words
a reply to: crazyewok

But in a academic setting it should one dialect used.

If only "should" solved all problems.

That being said, I agree. I was merely responding to someone mocking the language as if it was a farce. Somehow that equates to me yelling "racist" at people, as Navy Doc, and perhaps you, feel threatened by. That's simply untrue. Facts are facts, and I was merely sharing one.

We were not feeling threatened by anything--just making an observation. Just as you say, facts are facts, and the fact is, that certain ways of speaking are uneducated and do not belong in a university setting, much less a setting that is entirely an exercise in public speaking.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3mperorConstantinE
After sacrificing my sanity upon the altar of science and watching the full 4-hour debate finale, I can't believe some of you haters say you don't understand what those two debaters were saying...
Lemme break it down, check it—

First off, the pedagogic constructivism and predialectic nihilism of feministically racial exploitation
for the furtheration
of the predominant conceptual
abomination
detracts from the furniturization
of semioticist rap music throughout my brutha's and sista's
tamponically-neutered sequestration
Strung along a string theory premise of
postcapitalistic racial HBO cerealization
implying that culture is capable of Dish-Networking National Lampoon's Christmas Vaticanization
for any number of narratives concerning postmodern racial feminazi clitorisization
and while enhancifying the futility of the negroidization
of inner-city, predialectic

post-emancipation
-proclamation,
-subtextual
constipation
-that suppresses and oppresses
-those whose prehensility debatifies the presidentification
… of the War Powers Act.

Seems pretty clear to me~

Let me get this straight

The girls are saying that the President's War Powers Act is aimed directly at young black women because HBO has homogenized culture and enforced religious pedagogy through constant reinforcement of White Man's Christmas?

I'm not sure, but that's what it sounds like to me.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Not sure if it has a official name but were I studied and have worked we called it scientific English.

You don't use slang, local words or profanity's. Only internationally recognized words and English writing styles.
edit on 8-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedeadtruth

The whole thing was like watching a chess game, where one person already has a game plan. With new invented moves. Regardless of logical objections, it was always going to come down to.... " I don't want to be black anymore" "or white ". I want my own game.

Exactly.

Was like watching someone turn up to a chess game but playing checkers instead but still being allowed to win?

That makes sense why?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

a reply to: stelth2

I figure that in about 10 years I won’t have a job because I won’t be able to communicate. You see, I can’t speak Ebonics; I won’t be able to say the N word because I’m not black, so I won’t be able to put an Ebonics sentence together. I can’t even rap; I’ll probably need an interpreter to get food stamps, oh wait that could pose a problem, I’m white.
Maybe I can move to England where they speak English! Oh no, that’s not right. England is being overrun by non-English speaking Middle Eastern and Indian immigrants.
By the way, I’m not a racist. If you want to call me one, that’s fine, it seems like that’s the word of the day anyway. I just think that it’s ridiculous that the few can impose their will on the many.

In linguistics, it's called Black Vernacular English. It is a real dialect of English, and it should be respected as such. It isn't society's problem that you cannot understand it, and nor is it the color of your skin that is holding you back from learning it.

Black vernacular English??? haha
But we grew up in the same place and went to the same school!! lol
There should be no real difference in language or learning. Skin color has nothing to do with test scores.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Exactly.

Was like watching someone turn up to a chess game but playing checkers instead but still being allowed to win?

That makes sense why?

because if you don't declare them winner, you're a "racist"

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Not sure if it has a official name but were I studied and have worked we called it scientific English.

You don't use slang, local words or profanity's. Only internationally recognized words and English writing styles.

As a screenwriter I know that if a screenplay is submitted and is written in anything less than your country's approved method of writing, it is automatically rejected. In the United States, we use American Standard. This is accepted by British production companies, if they know the writer is from the United States. And a production company in the United States accepts British English written pieces, because that is what is written there.

Writing in Ebonics or Black Vernacular may be good for novels, such as The Color Purple or Precious but I guarantee that Tyler Perry is only writing Black Vernacular in the dialogue and not in the slugs, action or scene headings.

I have seen and reviewed many screenplays and they are automatically rejected because of flagrant misuse of grammar, so Hollywood does require a standard when it comes to grammar. I know that even the documentary of Dietrich Bonhoefer was rejected by the BBC because the American writer who pitched it, misspelled Bonhoefer and that writer lost $25,000 because of it.

Black Vernacular works in dialogue but for professional writing and academics, proper grammar is required. I come from an Appalachian family, I know southern vernacular, but I would never use that in an academic piece. It might work for novels, but for anything else, no.

There is a reason that college students interested in journalism have classes to teach them proper diction. The flat, Midwestern dialect is the easiest to understand. Sure, Black Vernacular sounds jingly and fun, but it has its place, just as Southern Appalachian does. In an academic setting, one must be resolute to not to elocute because diction ain't fiction.

Definition of diction

Diction Definition
dictionary.search.yahoo.com
n. noun
1.Choice and use of words in speech or writing.
2.Degree of clarity and distinctness of pronunciation in speech or singing; enunciation.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FortAnthem

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Video removed. Why would anyone have complained to youtube? Are they not proud of these young ladies?

Dammit, I hate YouTube when they do stuff like this.

Here's a link to the original Fox interview
First All-African American Women's Debate Team Wins National

Here's a link to the entire debate (if you really want to punish yourself)
2014 CEDA Final Round

The girls start their debate at about the 1:45:00 mark

Check 'em out before they get pulled as well.

Wow, just wow.
start at the 1:51 mark. I guess those schools have decided to pander to the squeakiest wheels. Rules of the game be damned! Psychotic thinking is now the standard? Uh, Uh. (You have to watch the vid to understand, and interestingly that purposeful "uh, uh" really reminded me of Obama.

I guess there will have to be standard debate team competitions and alternative media debate team comps in the future. After all, there are Nobel prizes and Academy awards, we don't just lump all pieces of work into one competition.

Wow.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

lol.

context...

just last page, you insisted cliven bundy was a racist, because he used the word "negro", and now you're saying it's not a bad word?

jesus man, which is it?

No offense...but someone that fails basic reading comprehension should not be deriding the state of education ...

My post from the last page ...

originally posted by: Indigo5
Please...I have seen the video, reviewed the transcript...the man is old-school racist and not because he used the word Negro

You managed to take away the precise opposite of what I said...Almost as funny as the back-slapping stars you got for being perfectly, 100% incorrect ...lots of ideological circle jerk around here.
edit on 8-5-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SunnyDee

originally posted by: FortAnthem

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Video removed. Why would anyone have complained to youtube? Are they not proud of these young ladies?

Dammit, I hate YouTube when they do stuff like this.

Here's a link to the original Fox interview
First All-African American Women's Debate Team Wins National

Here's a link to the entire debate (if you really want to punish yourself)
2014 CEDA Final Round

The girls start their debate at about the 1:45:00 mark

Check 'em out before they get pulled as well.

Wow, just wow.
start at the 1:51 mark. I guess those schools have decided to pander to the squeakiest wheels. Rules of the game be damned! Psychotic thinking is now the standard? Uh, Uh. (You have to watch the vid to understand, and interestingly that purposeful "uh, uh" really reminded me of Obama.

I guess there will have to be standard debate team competitions and alternative media debate team comps in the future. After all, there are Nobel prizes and Academy awards, we don't just lump all pieces of work into one competition.

Wow.

And can someone remind me again how Obama won the Nobel?

What did he actually do to win it?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: 3mperorConstantinE

holy christ...is that what was actually being said?

Well, to be fair to me—I actually made reference to the intended topic of their debate.
To be fair to them—they rapped (yes, with music … as part of the debate), LOL

a reply to: WarmInIndy
Damn, surprisingly close (95%)
… impressive!

("Christmas" ⇒ snow ⇒ white)
edit on 8-5-2014 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

oh ffs....i missed that...as in, i misread it..

sorry 'bout that.

i guess it didn't click at the time, because i can't work out why in the world you'd hold that view, unless you hadn't seen all the material...

whatever, you're still wrong about him, and about this..

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join