It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC wins over substance; all girl black debate team wins by NOT debating the given topic

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Jumping Jesus what a confusion cx debate (that's what it's called) is. You want to do another form of debate try LD (Lincoln Douglas debate). A cx round is about spewing (talking fast) because there is a requirement to read the important part of an article where you get the "tag" from (for example any cx debater knows and still might use the card 'economic decline =nuke war' from Walter Meade of the world policy I stitute starting with "but what if we can't what if re global economy stagnates or even shrinks?").

This is for all intents and purposes a verbal game. In 2 man CX you have to be both add and neg to the resolution. You have to be both for and against. What's being taught in secondary education is what a game is and how to win a game... And if you don't know that life and success is essentially a game well I just can't do the math for you... But there's a reason why people that go to college play this game better. Because they practice.

Ps I was a cx debater In high school and never went to college.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: WarminIndy

Now, now, you are showing your privilege. I actually had a college class when I was being prepared to teach inner city school that taught that speaking loudly (outside voice) was a part of poverty culture, so telling kids of inner city backgrounds to speak softly was being culturally insensitive. :rolleyes:

That's utterly ridiculous. There's different cultural norms, but there's also simply acting like a jackass because you want all the attention. Being noisy just to be noisy is the latter.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

That's what's scary; One day, these idiots could be in control of something important. The last generation cannot hand the torch over.

edit on 7-5-2014 by Fylgje because: typo

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: xtcsx
Jumping Jesus what a confusion cx debate (that's what it's called) is. You want to do another form of debate try LD (Lincoln Douglas debate). A cx round is about spewing (talking fast) because there is a requirement to read the important part of an article where you get the "tag" from (for example any cx debater knows and still might use the card 'economic decline =nuke war' from Walter Meade of the world policy I stitute starting with "but what if we can't what if re global economy stagnates or even shrinks?").

This is for all intents and purposes a verbal game. In 2 man CX you have to be both add and neg to the resolution. You have to be both for and against. What's being taught in secondary education is what a game is and how to win a game... And if you don't know that life and success is essentially a game well I just can't do the math for you... But there's a reason why people that go to college play this game better. Because they practice.

Ps I was a cx debater In high school and never went to college.

It's called Epic Rap Battle, as in Epic Rap Battles of History. When debate becomes a rap battle, then it isn't debate anymore, it's about scoring rap points, nothing more. Nothing intelligent is offered and nothing is learned. The purpose of debate is to use an intelligent argument to sway the audience to your side. So how were any of us swayed to a particular side in this? What did the girls really win? They might have won rap points, but didn't convince anyone by their argument.

If it is being taught in school that rap battles win arguments, then where is the need for critical thought? My take on this, apparently in high school, you don't have to think anymore.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Unfortunately the video has been taken down.
We can no longer see it and comment.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

This debate style reminds me of speed chess...I may not be able to follow what's happening but those participating and judging do apparently.

I don't think the purpose of this debate is to sway the audience opinion one way or another...which sort of makes it pointless IMO. Kind of like cheerleading competitions where they're not cheering for anything but rather dazzling the judges/out performing the other squads.

side note: Why did this thread morph into a racial debate while topic was (I thought) the debate style itself and not necessarily its content? That's a rhetorical question BTW!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So who put in the highest bid?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Unfortunately the video has been taken down.
We can no longer see it and comment.

Not the same video I think, but watch quick before they take this one down as well.
edit on 7-5-2014 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedParrotHead
a reply to: Domo1

This debate style reminds me of speed chess...I may not be able to follow what's happening but those participating and judging do apparently.

I don't think the purpose of this debate is to sway the audience opinion one way or another...which sort of makes it pointless IMO. Kind of like cheerleading competitions where they're not cheering for anything but rather dazzling the judges/out performing the other squads.

side note: Why did this thread morph into a racial debate while topic was (I thought) the debate style itself and not necessarily its content? That's a rhetorical question BTW!

Then it's not a debate, it is a rant.

The girls were ranting on something.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thats not a debate thats a rap battle or rap cypher.
I think they need to look up debate in the dictionary and learn what a debate is.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
why isn´t the title: "PC wins over substance. Debate team wins by not debating the given topic."

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
lol what funny about this whole thing is... even if that video made no sense..

the lines people pushing are hilarious..

"this video is the reason we should abandon our current education"

"this video is the reason we need to control immigration"

Agenda pushers have no bounds anymore...

hilarious!!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FortAnthem

Here's a link to the entire debate (if you really want to punish yourself)
2014 CEDA Final Round

The girls start their debate at about the 1:45:00 mark

Check 'em out before they get pulled as well.

Well at least we have something to torture the inmates at Guantanamo Bay with now besides music.

I showed it to my wife with no subtext prior, I think she had an aneurysm.

It's painful to try and listen and follow along with their train of thought. Neither side even came close to debating the topic at hand.

I truly don't get it.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

hilarious!!
I found the "debate" videos of harvard and yale white students equally "huhuhuhahuhuhua" hilarious.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
sounds like this,,

not very original,,been around a long time,,but hey we are not, the majority,,
Eskimo,,so i guess it has not caught on,,
it might though,,,
it just might,,,,
Eskimo Privelage!!!!!!!!!!

Also interesting,,

"An attempt to try and resolve a dispute by song between two men over marrying a woman fails, leading to a more direct physical conflict, also ritualized."

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

hilarious!!

Yes, this current education system must be abandoned. It has failed in educating our youth. Let me ask you this, if tomorrow the control of the world were turned over to today's current high school population for the next 20 years, what do suppose the outcome could look like?

Think about it, today's high school and college population have full control tomorrow, what will this planet become?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: kykweer

oh no...it's the same vid....

NOTHING disappears off the internet forever..not even utter stupidity like this..

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stelth2

I figure that in about 10 years I won’t have a job because I won’t be able to communicate. You see, I can’t speak Ebonics; I won’t be able to say the N word because I’m not black, so I won’t be able to put an Ebonics sentence together. I can’t even rap; I’ll probably need an interpreter to get food stamps, oh wait that could pose a problem, I’m white.
Maybe I can move to England where they speak English! Oh no, that’s not right. England is being overrun by non-English speaking Middle Eastern and Indian immigrants.
By the way, I’m not a racist. If you want to call me one, that’s fine, it seems like that’s the word of the day anyway. I just think that it’s ridiculous that the few can impose their will on the many.

In linguistics, it's called Black Vernacular English. It is a real dialect of English, and it should be respected as such. It isn't society's problem that you cannot understand it, and nor is it the color of your skin that is holding you back from learning it.
edit on 7|5|14 by Words because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
That had to be a SNL skit...right?...Right?

Because if it is not, Idiocracy will become reality. Stupid urban PC enamored idiots.

Maybe Putin should nuke us. Just to save the rest of the world.

It's funny you said that. Here is what I posted on YouTube a while ago.

"OMG, If I did not know better I would say this was an unrated version of a Saturday Night Live skit in some future dystopian Idiocracy."

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

throat singing is awesome and can be found all over the world

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join