It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of eight left in the world, Union Pacific's "Big Boy" makes stop in Salt Lake City, Utah over

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Happy Cinco de Mayo all,

I'm not much of a "train spotter" but the Union Pacific's "Big Boy" on its way to Cheyenne Wyoming, was on display less than a mile from my home in Salt Lake City over the weekend. This is the only one in the world still in working service while the other 7 that exist have been "put out to pasture" on static display. I thought that this historically significant event worthy of picture documentation and thought you would enjoy the pictures that I took. This locomotive is truly gigantic and pictures cannot convey the true size of this behemoth. The rivets are almost the size of grown man's fist.

Here's a link to Big Boy's Specs

I hope you enjoy the pictures:

You can see downtown Salt Lake City in the background of this picture:

You can see Salt Lake's Capitol Building in the the background of this last picture:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Great history with the old steam engines.

Excellent pictures too !!!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: UngaBungga

Those are great pictures, and you are right, that event was most certainly worthy of pictorial recording. I know there is at least one member around these boards somewhere who will appreciate the significance of this event.

Now... Where is gimmefootball400 ... The dude would go mental for this thread!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Great history with the old steam engines.

Excellent pictures too !!!

Thank you so much for the praise....I was hoping you would enjoy them!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Wow great pics

Seem kinda strange looking at an old steam engine like this again, I probably haven't looked at one let alone seen one for a very long time, just looks like a stripped back modern train or car without its body work on... I remember when trains looking like this was just a normal train, the future is truly here

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
That Is Bitchen!!!

I would love to see a "Big Boy" up close. you are one lucky dog OP.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Happy 6th of may! (UK)

Great images, Love steam engines both big and small. Many great old engines here in the UK in factorys but not seen any on a train that size!
Hoping to start building some small model engines soon.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Going to need trains like that if we lose our power grid. Oh yeah, they won't be bringing food up here anyway. We will be eating potatoes till they come out of our ears....if the government doesn't come take them from the farmers.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
They sure don't make'm like that anymore! And I say that with an air of admiration and respect, as that mobile and complex behemoth was manufactured without the benefit of computer graphics, automated robotics or even a calculator. Thanks for posting this!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
That is Truly a Kick Ass Machine . Thanks for Posting.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
That is a beautiful beast. A modern day dragon and testament to what ingenuity can accomplish for good utility. I've been a railroad fan all my life. The railroads were the backbone of the nation for over 100 years.

I'm a Pennsey fan. Not many people know this, but the Pennsylvania RR made every single thing used by the RR, from the locomotives right down to the light bulbs, dinnerware and brooms used to sweep up. They did that for quality control. Imagine that happening in the world today?

Thanks for posting the pics!

edit on 63109Tuesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join