It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Identify Mystery "Voodoo Pouch"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Hi,
I just became a member to reply this.
To me, the poach looks like an Anatolian charm. I have seen many like it before and I even have a few around. It is used against the evil eye. Those charms are quite personal, and the design changes according to the maker. Something your grandmother would give you...
I don't recognize the exact symbols but they are quite close to carpet (kilim in Turkish) symbols here. The triangle is the eye symbol and the flowery one is the Tree of Life. İnside can be 3 things: some seeds, a little prayer on a piece of paper or a coin. If I'm right about what it is then it is basically a protection charm. Same as the blue eye bead or hand symbol.
I would put it where it came from.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: grawl

I don't recognize the exact symbols but they are quite close to carpet (kilim in Turkish) symbols here. The triangle is the eye symbol and the flowery one is the Tree of Life. İnside can be 3 things: some seeds, a little prayer on a piece of paper or a coin. If I'm right about what it is then it is basically a protection charm. Same as the blue eye bead or hand symbol.
I would put it where it came from.

Yes!!! Thank you, I knew I had seen that symbol (Goz if I'm not mistaken?) before...every culture has something similar, warding off the evil eye or more specifically protection against others coveting what you have. I am Native American and we have woven symbols very much the same. This looks like it was painted on, so it was someone's interpretation of the Kilim weave symbols. That's awesome!

I have been a practicing Witch for 20 years in this life and many, many lifetimes before this and my "rule of thumb" is that you don't trifle with charms of any kind. Opening it and disturbing the contents would be a very unwise idea. Someone meant for that protective charm to keep either the building itself or something/someone in it safe and is magickally charged...best to let it be and replace it exactly where it was found. I know that if I work a protective charm, it is not going to bode well for someone to open it and mess with it, so it would stand to reason that would pretty much be the case with any other culture's ritual belongings as well. Magick is universal and knows no cultural boundaries.

Thank you again!!! It was really bugging me!!! Here's some pictures of some of the Kilim weave rugs and their symbols:

Kilim

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Did you know there's a theory that early Native Americans and Turkish people share the same ancestry? And there is said to have common elements in traditions. Of course this is pre-Islamic times. If so it's reasonable the motives seem familiar to you.

Those symbols come from Middle Asian tradition. Passing from woman to woman, mother to daughter. That's why they are personal.

Though this just came to my mind. The usage of red and the shape reminds me of Spring Festival (Hıdırellez) pouches. In that case it's thought to bring riches. Again leave it where you have found it.

I'm glad to be of assistance.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: grawl

I did not know that, but I am delighted to hear it
I grew up in the Middle East, and to be saturated in that beautiful, rich culture was one of the greatest blessings of my life. I miss it horribly. I believe my fascination with the art in both Arab cultures and Asian cultures stems from the fact that it reminds me of my own ancestral culture, so that makes perfect sense to me.

I was actually trying to find some information regarding the use of different colors in other cultural ritual work. I am familiar with all kinds of color magick from many different Pagan practices, as I use it myself routinely and am always amazed to find the similarities among them, regardless of geographical location. It really is a very small world we live in.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Just want to throw in my 2 pennies, this pouch seems like neutral magic work to me.
It is either for protection or spying. Me thinks.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Exciting!
I think it's time you opened it up before this thread disappears into obscurity, it certainly has peaked my interest!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Arktos1

Just keep something in mind, should you decide to open it. That pyramid/eye symbol is a protection ward. The tree of life represents prosperity and growth, and continuation. I realize that a lot of people don't believe in Magick, but The Craft originated with all of our ancestors and predates every other religious practice in the world; so if you don't believe at least respect the fact that the pouch was empowered by whomever crafted it and at the very least, it should be regarded as a part of someone's religion which holds inside it their intent and energy.

Consider that it was likely placed there, carefully hidden by someone who sought to protect that property. Most charms and wards will no longer work if they are opened. The things of power inside are stitched closed to bind the energy inside, where it radiates its intent. It creates a Magickal tether. If you open it, no matter what, you are releasing that energy. If that energy has been keeping the place safe and/or prosperous and you let it out, it could very well backfire on you.

If you open it, I would strongly suggest that you have a Witch or someone schooled in the occult arts to be there, to ground that energy and release it safely. Probably a ritual offering would be a very good idea as well. I've seen bad things happen to people who've opened mojo hands and other charms/wards. One thing about Magick...you may not believe in it, but I promise...it believes in you.

Oh, and I am not suggesting that you personally don't believe...just a general colloquial term.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
My initial instinct, was, put it back.
I also immediately thought tree of life, I make many with wire and stones.

or,
It could be a fairies pot holder.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

or,
It could be a fairies pot holder.

Indeed, it very well could

2nd.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: constant_thought
Exciting!
I think it's time you opened it up before this thread disappears into obscurity, it certainly has peaked my interest!

Agreed.

Please open it ?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It may be just an interlining you are feeling inside, I personally have never seen such a small medicine bag.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I pray that there is no evil intent attached to the "mojo"

but be prepared just in case, with the shield of faith and the sword of knowledge.

start here....

www.aboutsanteria.com...
edit on 7-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i dont think there are two eyes, I think it is the All seeing eye, the black in the center is the pupil, the white on each side of it the eyeball, the line above it is the eyebrow

protection against the evil eye.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I pray that there is no evil intent attached to the "mojo"

but be prepared just in case, with the shield of faith and the sword of knowledge.

Excellent advice, and you may also want to look up Anatolian ritual practices as well, because it seems that is a Kilim pouch, and it is protective...I'm thinking it protects the property. And of course keep in mind that there are many different variations of Root Workers; Hoodoo, Voodoo and Santeria being the most common. Their practices are similar, but definitely not the same thing, so just be really careful if you do decide to open it, and like I said; have someone there who is well-versed in the occult arts. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

@Stormdancer: I see it as one eye also...similar to the Eye of Horus without all the Egyptian fanciness.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I was hoping to hear more from the OP... Any new news?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It was probably a putsi. Do you know if your friend had/has any Romanian workers?

Most gypsies use putsi for good luck, blessing, possibly protection from spirits....though most of my experience is simply the fact that I was born and partially raised in Eastern Europe,but I think mostly it was used for good luck. I guess you could compare them to gris-gris bags. I don't remember ever having seen one sewn shut. Most had ties on them, usually leather or something akin to bailing twine.

In any case, I don't think you have much to worry about.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hey OP...you should check the other offices or rooms to see if their are more of those pouches!?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Alright friends....we opened it!

In the pouch were a swatch of gauze, some herbs, and a paper with Greek Christian prayers, 1 against spells, and one against earthquakes.

We are both Greek. My partner is Orthdox Christian (where the pouch was placed), and I am a former, now a Hellene. The symbols on the outside of the pouch, particularly the eye, is actually shunned by the church, yet there are Greek Christian prayers on the inside.

He is going to bring it by his priest to get some feedback, which I will post if anyone is still following this thread. The only item remotely close to this in our culture is small swatches with Christian symbols, usually pinned on a baby's clothes before they are baptized. There is usually nothing inside those, and everyone we have polled has never seen anything particularly like this.

I will say this, whoever did make it, spent a lot of time doing so. It was so finely made, that i am dissapointed that he decided to open it. See Pics:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

WOW! What a little treasure trove of intent someone put into making it. Thank you so much for following up with us.

I am still following this thread, as I find it one of the more interesting ones on ATS. It contains mystery, factual evidence, and an ongoing storyline.

So cool...

Des

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
im sad too

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join