It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Identify Mystery "Voodoo Pouch"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

I agree, there's nothing on the pouch to suggest any malice there. Pleasant pictures and nice embroidery, if a little amateurish.

Probably a nice, well meaning, protection-love or good luck talisman or keepsake. That was my initial thought anyway.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

I appreciate that sentiment Des. You don't want to know what I think of Talismans so I'll tell you. Crosses and cups and things (read that things) only have the power that people give them. A prayer or meditation is one thing. A little bit of brightly colored fluff is meaningless.

A distraction from or away from the spirit.

Misleading at best.

So I scoff and debunk and bash Icons.

To taking things lightly…

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

Thanks for the compliment and the reference! I cannot find a gris-gris that looks like it, but it is another possibility.

My guess is that if we cannot get even close to figuring out what this thing is, what its intended purpose is, or what it may mean, we will certainly open it. The general consensus is it was strange to be placed the way it was, and it is a talisman/charm of some sort. Beyond that, we are no closer to answers than the day he found it.

If you think the suspense is killing you, you should try holding it for a few months!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Arktos1

It's definitely a mojo bag (pouch) of sorts, which means it could be just about anything. The purpose may never be known for sure since an exact uniform template for these are rarely practiced so the use normally requires the practitioner to decipher.

My guess, though... would be a charm to bring clarity and energy or perhaps a love back. It could be either because of the symbolism. There is the symbol for air with the eyes but sight is associated with fire, not air. Air is associated with smell. Both are for passion and clarity. Fire corresponds with the number five and there are five petals on each of the flowers (red). Red and yellow are the colors for fire and air, respectively. So we can definitely say it's centered around those two elements.

If it weren't placed where it was, I would have guessed it was used in somebody's pillow and filled with herbs. However, where it's placed, it could be a charms, a picture, hair, or any number of things inside (including herbs).

My advice would be to assess how his office has felt before this discovery and, if positive, leave it there; it's definitely there for the benefit of the space, in general. If he has complained about the vibes in there before the discovery, then he may want to bury it. If he does not feel comfortable doing that, just put an ad in Craigslist. I'm sure there is a friendly witch (or practitioner of craftworks) who would be willing to take care of it. Most likely for free but suggest a tip.

Honestly, though, I would advise leaving it. If nothing else, he has a cool story to tell people and it adds to the history of his business.

edit on 5-5-2014 by Cuervo because: added clarification

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Arktos1 Do the right thing and put it back, despite the advice of the ignorant amongst us. What you do with it will define only you

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Here are 4 examples of talismen for various purposes, found online for sale.

Love

Religious

The wearing and using of charms and talismen is quite common in many cultures. From religious to Gypsy...many babies have talismen placed on them to assure them safety and certain attributes the particular talisman is supposed to impart.

To hand make one, is using your pure energy of intent, to get your point across.

Des/

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I would have poped the thing open as soon as i found it!
I could never hang in a few months not knowing!

Could be a map to a hidden location or a few old bank notes stashed away!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gideon70

Do the right thing and put it back, despite the advice of the ignorant amongst us.

Just wondering how you are able to tell the ignorant from the more knowledgeable as, clearly, none of us know what it is...

Seriously. We only assume and speculate. We are all ignorant on what it is, what it could be...the purpose of why it's been left there.

I don't think it makes a difference whether he opens it or not but that's up to him to decide, wouldn't you think?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

It's definitely a mojo bag of sorts. The purpose may never be known for sure since an exact uniform template for these are rarely practiced so the use normally requires the practitioner to decipher.

My guess, though... would be a charm to bring clarity and energy or perhaps a love back. It could be either because of the symbolism. There is the symbol for air with the eyes but sight is associated with fire, not air. Air is associated with smell. Both are for passion and clarity. Fire corresponds with the number five and there are five petals on each of the flowers (red). Red and yellow are the colors for fire and air, respectively. So we can definitely say it's centered around those two elements.

If it weren't placed where it was, I would have guessed it was used in somebody's pillow and filled with herbs. However, where it's placed, it could be a charms, a picture, hair, or any number of things inside (including herbs).

My advice would be to assess how his office has felt before this discovery and, if positive, leave it there; it's definitely there for the benefit of the space, in general. If he has complained about the vibes in there before the discovery, then he may want to bury it. If he does not feel comfortable doing that, just put an ad in Craigslist. I'm sure there is a friendly witch (or practitioner of craftworks) who would be willing to take care of it. Most likely for free but suggest a tip.

Honestly, though, I would advise leaving it. If nothing else, he has a cool story to tell people and it adds to the history of his business.

Excellent response! Thanks for the thoughtful post and especially your second paragraph associating elements and colors. These are clues that may put us closer to understanding it's purpose. If it were not hidden the way it was, it would not be perceived so negatively.

As for feel of the office, the last 10 years in any business these days is sure to have been a roller coaster of emotions, so it is really hard to tell. Since we found it, I have been trying to pay objective attention for changes, but that is an exercise in futility.

I thank you again for your insights.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Cuervo's comment above is exactly what it is... it's a Mojo. He gave a great description and advice on how to handle it. I wasn't going to disclose this, but I feel I must for credibility's sake and this will likely be the one and only time I ever do on this forum. I'm a 3rd Degree Witch and High Priest. I'm very familiar with Mojos like these. My suggestion would be to put it back like it was since it doesn't fit the bill for malice intent. It's very likely that you don't WANT to know what's inside it. Do what you will, but that's my advice.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Looks like a drawing of flowers on one side and a piramid with and eye in the bottom on the other.

Kinda childish drawings tho, do they look like that to anyone else?

Don't belive in Juju or witchcraft myself so i don't think it can do any harm to have a look

But then maybe i am wrong

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Maybe its the map to one-eyed willys treasure? If so, ill fund the expedition.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glz00
Looks like a drawing of flowers on one side and a piramid with and eye in the bottom on the other.

Kinda childish drawings tho, do they look like that to anyone else?

Don't belive in Juju or witchcraft myself so i don't think it can do any harm to have a look

But then maybe i am wrong

I'm with you, the drawings are childlike pictures.

I think we're all agreed in that whatever it is, be it talisman, charm or spell it has been made with good intentions.

I don't believe any harm will come from this.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun
a reply to: Gideon70

Do the right thing and put it back, despite the advice of the ignorant amongst us.

Just wondering how you are able to tell the ignorant from the more knowledgeable

It wasn't difficult.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
When you open the "mojo" be sure and cover your nose and mouth and don't breath until you are certain that the contents are innocuous. Even skin contact may be dangerous.

Best also to say a protection prayer before opening it.

Urban Shamanism is powerful. Be prepared with a counter ritual if what you open has evil intent and you may not know until it's to late.

There are more fools than wise men, and even in the wise man himself there is more folly than wisdom.

CHAMFORT,

edit on 5-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have something similer to that, mine is red with a folded picture of a saint and a small prayer sewn shut from my grandmother (Sicilian).

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Interesting...looks like a wish bag...you write your wish , put it inside and sew it shut.....

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Have you considered getting a consult from a hoodoo mechanic first? There are a lot of fairly well known ones on the net.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Sewn shut. I have not opened it yet, but it feels like paper (thick or folded), and it is not very pliable.

Be careful with it. It doesn't look like a mojo bag at all to me, but if it is you shouldn't open it. They're sewn shut for a reason. I'm searching for the pyramid image as we speak. I've seen it before somewhere. Strictly going by color, if it is a mojo or conjure bag, the red symbolizes romantic/passionate love and yellow new beginnings, but the painted flowers are very odd for such a use, as is the fabric. With mojos the fabric tends to be the color of your intent...not white with colored stitching or painted images. If I find anything relevant, I will let you know.

It's entirely possible it was just a hand-sewn charm...my mom used to have a bunch of little things like that from back in the 60's including a hemp bag hung from a necklace of wooden beads, and hand-painted flowers made up of dots like that were extremely popular.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Alright, this has been an interesting read, and I have suggestions of my own to add.

1. You already did the first right thing, in taking good photos.

2. You mentioned that access to the office is limited, so there is a test you can do. Assemble all that have access there, and then whip out the pouch, and watch their reactions. Body language is telling. Video of this test is advised.

3. OPEN IT! Unless there is some reason to suspect something threatening inside (like white powder in mail), there is no good reason not to cut this thing open and see what's in it. It was hidden, and this implies a hidden motive, and that should always be treated as potentially hostile. Now, it could be one of the "love charms" described by others, and it does look similar, but even that is secretive. Your business partner has a right to make his own decisions, after all. I see no valid reason not to open this thing, and end the suspense. If some foul play is suspected, you could take it to a local crime lab, and have them see if there is anything hazardous inside, but that seems unlikely. The biggest harm here I can see would be in not looking, and in replacing it.

Edit to add -

4. When done opening it, and photographing the contents, and testing any weird substances, burn the lot.
edit on 6-5-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: added point

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join