It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A History of Immigration Fear Mongering in Cartoons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Many of us seem to have forgotten that throughout the history of our nation, groups of immigrants from various countries have been denigrated by fear mongering xenophobes. In the saddest of ironies, even among descendants of these immigrants, this disgusting tradition of irrational hatred and distrust continues.

Here's are some reminders.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I often joke, that on my mothers side they where there before the Inclussion of TX as a state, and on My fathers, Spanish Missionaries in CA, once again, before Statehood and inclusion.

America, Came to my family, and ours is a story like all Americans, DIDN"T START HERE.

The NEW COLOSSUS

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

America, is founded on Immigrants.

But like Rome, part of the success is in assimilation.

There is a reason "When in rome" Is a saying, it lead to one of the most successful Republic, and pursuant empire.

The Xeno-phobia and tribalism of some Americans is silly, we are a nation of people tossed from their homeland, THIS LAND, is None of our homes.

Not even the Natives, though they have the oldest claim.

Its something everyone needs to remember when even Immigration comes up.

Illegal Immigration is a problem, and needs to be addressed though, but not in the Xenophobic ways it tends to come out.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

While all bad I see the truth in the last pic...It is not about immigration at all it is about keeping Rome out of US politics by keeping religion free from state and visa versa.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Pretty disgusting!

ESPECIALLY IF THOSE IMMIGRANTS WERE OBEYING OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS!

Other than that, if you want to immigrate to this country, we already have laws set up on how to become a citizen.

Maybe I am reading between the lines on your intentions?

But no sympathy from me! Especially if your creating a baiting thread in an effort for blanket amnesty for those whom chose to stay here illegally versus those whom came here and obeyed our immigration laws and worked hard to become Naturalized Citizens! My ancestors did it, why can't they?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

It is a complex issue all around, that needs to be addressed.

From labor practices with in the US to enforcement of current laws.

Blanket amnesty is silly, just as Blanket deportation is as well (no one wants to pay 20 for a head of lettuce).

The problem becomes, like with everything in america, POLITICS, it gets politicized.

Which means it gets a LEFT / RIGHT Spin.

Which Means, People with an interest in either solutions, or prolonging the problem, begin to lobby our reps.

Which means, Compromise, goes away.

Which Means, WE GET THE SAME GOVERNMENT CLUSTER F__K AS every other problem in america.

Just like, Health Care, Education, Economic stimulus, etc.

Really, Immigration is a problem in America, but its 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, TO THE ONE MAJOR one.

Money in Politics.

Whats the answer? I don't know.

But I do know, The people currently in power, DO not have the Will or the Ability, to fix the current state of the nation.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Agreed!

All they see are potential VOTES!

When a politician says they want to help, turn on your BS meter! What they really mean is, "We want to make you THINK WE CARE ABOUT YOU, so that we get your votes the next election to keep us in "Political Hollywood"!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

a reply to: benrl

Agreed!

All they see are potential VOTES!

When a politician says they want to help, turn on your BS meter! What they really mean is, "We want to make you THINK WE CARE ABOUT YOU, so that we get your votes the next election to keep us in "Political Hollywood"!

And the messed up thing, The right seems to only Care about it for that reason.

The racial pandering on both sides is disgusting.

Both parties only care for anything, as IT DIRECTLY RELATES TO OBTAINING and holding power.

No interest in the people whats so ever.

I could get behind "earned" Amnesty, say something like join the military for 6 years, learn English, contribute, etc.

Anything, that would go toward paying the Debt to our Society, that coming here illegally caused.

Its a crime, show remorse, do the time, and you get your Citizenship.

But that is neither here nor there, AS nothing either side proposes, is anywhere near a compromise.

Nor a workable solution.

LIKE the ACA, any attempt will only make the situation worse.

It really is getting pretty Dystopian around here.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

One thing America always had, is a class of self appointed authoritarians. That and an appalling lack of perspective.

Authoritarians need a simplistic rationale to justify their immoral behavior. Bias on appearance and culture work quite well.

Subjects might also be biased on skin color but it's not necessary. They have other, valid reasons for hating authoritarians.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I certainly hope nobody is trying to conflate legal immigration with illegal immigration.

The vast majority of concern I have seen in current media is in regards to illegal immigration.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Other than that, if you want to immigrate to this country, we already have laws set up on how to become a citizen.

Maybe I am reading between the lines on your intentions?

But no sympathy from me! Especially if your creating a baiting thread in an effort for blanket amnesty for those whom chose to stay here illegally versus those whom came here and obeyed our immigration laws and worked hard to become Naturalized Citizens! My ancestors did it, why can't they?

I'm not a supporter of "illegal immigration" or "open borders." I'm for reforming ill-conceived immigration policy, steeped in xenophobia, so that it's just and comports with reality. I think that in the interest of partisan pandering, there's been little call to rational debate and a lot of disgusting denigration of people as criminals, parasites, etc and it's been the same thing throughout history.

Prior to 1921, there were no nation-based quotas for anyone but the Chinese, a group who had been so successfully vilified (YELLOW PERIL!!!) by fear mongers by the late 1800's that the first nation-based quota on immigration was legislated into existence. It's common for people to say, "they should just do like my ancestors did" except that ignores the reality of how many of our ancestors came to be Americans. Under current law, many of the immigrants who arrived between 1790 and 1921 would not be allowed in to our country.
edit on 2014-5-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I certainly hope nobody is trying to conflate legal immigration with illegal immigration.

The vast majority of concern I have seen in current media is in regards to illegal immigration.

Please elucidate the concerns that you feel are valid. Perhaps these concerns are propaganda based on lies and intended to garner votes by appealing to base instincts of ignorant people?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

What happens to you or I if we don't obey the "LAW" and we get caught? hmmmm

Try doing a simple google search and type in "border patrol no permitted to do their job"!

Perhaps I am just pissed off because as a citizen I don't get one damn break but yet those whom are not citizens get the full support of the Justice Department and Homeland Security.

Quite frankly, I see the whole reason behind YET ANOTHER BLANKET AMNESTY!

MORE VOTES!!!!

Twist it however you choose. As an American citizen whom lives in a state that the "state supreme court" just ruled that police don't need a search warrant to search a vehicle? Sorry, if I have to live in shackles then so should those whom come here illegally!

edit on 5-5-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The hatred towards immigrants has sometimes been so riled up that even though some immigrants obeyed those immigration laws and became citizens, those facts did not protect them from xenophobic fervor that swept through the nation during the Great Depression.

History lesson time:

Mexican Repatriation

To the OP and benrl: Great posts!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

The hatred towards immigrants has sometimes been so riled up that even though some immigrants obeyed those immigration laws and became citizens, those facts did not protect them from xenophobic fervor that swept through the nation during the Great Depression.

History lesson time:

Mexican Repatriation

Who's fault is that though?

The media? The government?

I can and will agree that my so called "great country" has a very embarrassing if not hypocritical past. With that being said, why do we keep bringing it up? If it was to learn from our mistakes I wouldn't mind it! However, for those of us who jump on the racist and pro immigrant bandwagon all I have to say to you folks is "Beware" your being used by the government.

THEY DON'T CARE!!!!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

How about "both"? If we never look back at history to examine the mistakes made in the past, then how can we ever learn from it?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

History lesson time:

Mexican Repatriation

Who's fault is that though?

The media? The government?

I can and will agree that my so called "great country" has a very embarrassing if not hypocritical past. With that being said, why do we keep bringing it up? If it was to learn from our mistakes I wouldn't mind it! However, for those of us who jump on the racist and pro immigrant bandwagon all I have to say to you folks is "Beware" your being used by the government.

THEY DON'T CARE!!!!

What issues aren't politicized?

That doesn't change the facts. We have about 11 million illegal immigrants in this country, 55% of whom are completely undocumented (the other 45% being people who overstayed visas) and because of their status, they're universally exploited and at the same time, demonized by the rest of us.

The war on illegal immigration makes less sense than the war on drugs and is equally detrimental. Tell me why I'm wrong? Because they broke a law that is in of itself an affront to what we claim to be about in this country? I noticed you posting in the "Illegal Aliens Commit 13 Child Molestations A Day" thread last night and not once did you offer any of your sanctimonious warnings to that misguided circlejerk. Not one word of caution about buying into the anti-immigration lies or how they were just "jumping on the anti-immigration bandwagon."

Here you're talking about "obeying the law" and saying things like, "my ancestors did it, why can't they?" but switch issues to Cliven Bundy and it's not "he's disobeying the law, why can't he pay grazing fees like all the other ranchers do?" Why? Because despite your repeated claims to the contrary, you almost exclusively promote the far-right agenda.

While I'm on the topic of agendas, the reason behind this thread was to point out that we have a shameful history of xenophobia inspired denigration and a current problem with mass hysteria and hypocrisy. That was my purpose. Does that mean I don't have also have an opinion of what the solution might be? Of course I do.

edit on 2014-5-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

That doesn't change the facts. We have about 11 million illegal immigrants in this country, 55% of whom are completely undocumented (the other 45% being people who overstayed visas) and because of their status, they're universally exploited and at the same time, demonized by the rest of us.

Why?

Why do I have to obey the law but they don't?

BTW! The "demonize thing is just precious"! My original intuition of reading between the lines was apparently correct! Your pandering for your party for votes and you could give a damn about what happens once they do get amnesty!

Hope you can sleep well at night!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

immigration is bad when done illegally, you want to live and work in a country, then you better pay the damn taxes everyone else there is forced to pay,

yes immigrants are crushing our economy but ONLY because they are illegal immigrants, not paying taxes, yet still reaping the benefits of programs funded by taxes.

really the fault does come down to the government itself, it needs to do a better job of keeping immigration in check to make sure all immigrants are LEGAL immigrants, from what ive heard from some illegal immigrants its just to difficult time consuming and costly to jump through the red tape to become a citizen, and far easier to just remain illegal. they also tell me its very easy for them to participate in the tax funded programs despite being illegal, such as welfare of various forms,

personally i dont think this huge gap in economic structure is unintentional, its just another way to keep the people bogged down under a struggling economy = struggling workers = too busy to pay mind to anything other then their day to day work and living pay check to pay check = easier to control.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The Statue had nothing to do with immigration. It was about freedom. The French honored us with the Statue to celebrate the friendship between our countries. We were the first nation ever to make the rulers of their country aware that freedom and liberty was possible. The sonnet, "The New Colossus", engraved at the base, was written by the Jewish poet Emma Lazarus as part of a fund raising campaign. She wrote as a way of honoring those Jews suffering from anti-semitism who wanted to flee from their host countries. The original manuscript is held by the American Jewish Historical Society. The sonnet played no significant part in the celebration of the opening of the statue in 1883 and was all but forgotten. 20 years later the text of the poem was put on the inner wall of the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. And that's how the poem ended up on a Statue that was specifically created to honor freedom and originally inscribed only with the adoption date of the Declaration of Independence (JULY IV MDCCLXXVI). And that's why we call it the Statue of Liberty and not the Statue of Immigration.

Today the true story of the Statue of Liberty is disingenuously used for political purposes to paint a gauzy picture of those happy times when we weren't so picky about who was allowed to immigrate to our country. In fact it was just the opposite, the US had (like the rest of the world had, and still has) a merit based immigration policy. Potential immigrants had to stop on the island and pass a rigorous inspection before being allowed to set foot on the mainland. If you didn't have enough money with you, if you had no job skills, or if you had a criminal record, you were rejected. If you passed that phase you were sent to the medical inspection line and uniformed military surgeons quickly culled out those with minor medical conditions. Even a case of glaucoma could cause you to be rejected. The doctors would observe the immigrants as they climbed the stairs leaving the baggage area. If you had difficulty with those stairs, that could cause you to be rejected. Ellis Island was sometimes known as "The Island of Tears" or "Heartbreak Island" because of the immigrants that were turned away.

top topics

join