It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trending now.....Two teenage boys shot dead in California during burglary attempt

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Good idea on the bear repellent. Note to self: Self, get some bear repellent tomorrow.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
And the sad part is that the one with parents are going to say: He was a good boy, just hung out with the wrong crowd. They should not have shot him, it was wrong, there should be more gun control.

Yeah, well lets hope the parents aren't as much of ignorant idiots as the last people who responded this way.

The sad part of this all is that ultimately this is going to play badly all around.

I think the sad part of this whole story is the court costs the woman who was defending her home is going to have to pay.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
Parents are responsible for thier kids.

You really think parents can mold their kids into exactly who and what they envision? These kids don't have a mind and will of their own?

I had a friend with the most loving, caring, and active parents you can imagine. Hell, they were light-years ahead of my parents. They taught their kids right and wrong, and anyone would be hard-pressed to find fault with their methods.

I was a wild child who never even had a bed-time and was allowed to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted because no one once told me otherwise. My parents never took an interest in my life the way my friend's did. I often envied the guidance and nurturing he had available to him.

Long story short: I've never been in any kind of trouble with the law, nor have I ever wronged or harmed another human being. My friend? Well, let's just say he's doing some very serious time behind bars. I made my choice. He made his choice. My choice was a personal one. My parents didn't make that choice for me. Get it?

Kids make their own choices regardless of how good or bad they have it. Do you really think parents make or break a child's decision to criminalize? C'mon really, is that what you think?

Some ignorance just makes me wanna
smack people in the back of the head!

And you have the audacity to call others ignorant.

edit on 5-5-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

So by your logic they should have just let these two little assholes in to rob her? Maybe kill her? Keep your ignorant anti American views to your self, if you want to be a victim that is your perogative, but dont try and make this about how barbaric Americans are. All crime should be dealt with harshly and quickly.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Stupid children, I hope people start getting the message.

That is the problem they will not get the message, especially if it is drug related break in's.

Someone that is hopped up on certain drugs is not thinking rationally like you and I.

Only thought is how to get their next fix.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: th3dudeabides

Stupid children, I hope people start getting the message.

That is the problem they will not get the message, especially if it is drug related break in's.

Someone that is hopped up on certain drugs is not thinking rationally like you and I.

Only thought is how to get their next fix.

2d and 3d order effects of Really bad decision making.

They died. I'm fine with it.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

You're one of those fools that blames the victim in a robbery huh? Probably on the side of trayvon and against the death penalty too. You are nothing but a potential victim.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockflier
IF the intruder survived I would call, in this order, the Fire Department, Insurance agent, then the LOE. Given my home defense weaponry survival is doubtful. 12 ga. with 00 Buck, slug, 00 Buck, slug, 00 Buck, slug, BB, BB. That would be used if we were in bed, it is close at hand. If the break in occurs while we are up a .38 Special +P is on my person.

I don't doubt you're skilled with a weapon but surprise is always a factor. If you hear a lock turn, get up, and have a warning you're at an advantage. I've been the victim of a police home invasion though and I know for a fact that when people are determined there's just not much you can do. Tactical invasions rely on these types of principals for both military and police. That style of raid tends to be done by the drug gangs that are more likely to kill you as well.

My personal feelings are that we treat criminals too lightly. Many criminal acts, including murder, are so lightly prosecuted that there is nothing to deter these crimes from being committed. IF true harsh punishment were administered, my personal belief is that they would not be committed in the first place.

My feelings are that criminals need to serve their sentences. We shouldn't be letting people out early. At the same time however I think we need to focus more on making criminals productive members of society. That means offering work, paying them real wages, charging them rent while they're in prison, and so on. I think countries like the Netherlands do it right, and their crime rates and recidivism rates back that up. In the developed world we have some of the harshest prisons yet some of the worst violent crime. The current system clearly isn't working. All harsh treatment does is make the criminal goto any lengths necessary to ensure they aren't caught. If the prisons are so bad that no one wants to go, you'll never take a single criminal alive and that creates a major public danger.

Vigilante justice has nothing to do with protection of oneself in one's domicile. Figures that I have seen, although I cannot locate them at the moment, indicate that violent home invasions primarily are linked to drug related activities. This also paints a pretty poor picture of our society.

It does but the war on drugs is a large factor in that. If we look at prohibition, banning alcohol simply made it more expensive, created a lot of violent crime, and funded the mafia. The war on drugs is doing the same thing. If we want to eliminate these criminals we need to legalize the drugs. It costs less to treat drug addictions than to prosecute, and it defunds a lot of the gangs that drive the major crime.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

"Teach and hope"? Lady I have taught my kids and I know they
wouldn't do anything like this ever. If you don't know yours
wouldn't? That's just wrong. I know other peoples kids that
I know wouldn't think of this ever. I know others that would.

Well, first, I am not a lady. Second, I do know my kids and at this point can say no, they would not do anything like this. If you think things don't change with people over time, especially kids, then you must be one really unobservant parent of sorts. Kids change and do wrong things...that is how they learn. Some keep going because they like the negative attention since it may be the only attention they get.

As for mine....I am not worried. However, don't all these stories have those people in them saying "He/she was such a nice kid, they could never do anything like this."

Everyone is capable of many things, so I would not say never. When they do something wrong they have consequences, however some wrong things have consequences enforced by others as in this situation.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Agree. Those teens knew what they were doing. They assumed the risk of getting shot when they broke in. Around here, pretty much everyone has a gun. So if you're crazy enough to do a home invasion, well, collect your Darwin award, buddy.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
To all the sweet and wonderful people who believe that the children should have been treated differently, might I suggest, as a former law enforcement officer, that you contact your local law enforcement agency and ask if they have a "ride-along" program that would allow you to ride with the police or sheriff's office patrol and see what these young children are really up to.

I guarantee what you observe will be an eye opener.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DumpMaster

I am 100% against guns normally, but this is good news.

2 less pieces of trash in the world.

LOL, good riddance.

This post doesn't make any sense. Are you 100% against guns or not 100% against it. Do you support the ability of citizens to defend themselves against criminals with guns or do you not support it?

Welcome to ATS.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

easy prey

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

i am pleased to see that on the job injuries
which include bodily injury and even death
enter into the job description of career criminals.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

intrepid, it is not a sad commentary on America.
It is a sad commentary on the criminals that got shot and dies committing a crime.

most criminals commit 250
crimes for every one they are caught.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: V22tech

So by your logic they should have just let these two little assholes in to rob her? Maybe kill her? Keep your ignorant anti American views to your self, if you want to be a victim that is your perogative, but dont try and make this about how barbaric Americans are. All crime should be dealt with harshly and quickly.

very good reply to the Canadian pacifists up north.
their government already took all the guns away
from the pussies of the population and the only
ones who have a gun are the men with testosterone.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

don't all these stories have those people in them saying "He/she was such a nice kid, they could never do anything like this."

First of all, sorry for the misinterpretation of gender.
Some things on ATS shouldn't be left open to interpretation.
And definitely no. Not all these have people saying such things.
But that's the world media has painted for us. I can assure you that
is an illusion.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

And you have the audacity to call others ignorant.

Absolutely. I think you can know if your kids would do something like
this or not. It's called paying attention. Why shouldn't I call a spade
a spade.
edit on Rpm50514v03201400000024 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Your over simplification of the underlying motive mischaracterizes it. This was about a home of an elderly lady being invaded during the dead of night by two teenaged boys intent on crime. Who is to say that they would stop their criminal adventure at theft? Maybe a little rape or murder was on their mind. If you choose to let an overwhelming force enter your home at night and just hope that they don't hurt you or your family, well that is your choice. As for me if I can protect me and mine without killing them I would, but if I thought for an instant that my family was at risk they would be in another world.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
What should we do? Whip up a batch of Tollhouse cookies and a pitcher of iced tea while they help themselves to our property?

So take a life to preserve property? That's a damn skewed sense of values.

People have a right to defend themselves. Did the woman put 6 rounds in their head or something? Maybe I missed that part..

One or 6 doesn't matter. Dead is dead. They aren't defending themselves. They are defending PROPERTY.

It's the government that usually puts property ( money ) over people's lives.
If someone breaks into your home you have to assume they mean YOU harm. She was protecting HERSELF. Most older folks have learned to place little value on THINGS.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join