It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army to release details on CH-47 crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
A Fort Bragg CH-47 with four crew members on board crashed in New Mexico Saturday night, while on a high altitude training mission in the mountains. No word has been released on the crew, and the Army is expected to release more details some time today.

FORT BRAGG (WTVD) -- A helicopter that belongs to the 82nd Airborne Division from Fort Bragg crashed at the Fort Bliss training area near Orogrande, New Mexico over the weekend.

Four crew members were on board the CH-47 Chinook when it crashed Saturday night near the Texas border during a high-altitude, mountainous environmental training exercise.

ABC
edit on 5/5/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ya know I was looking for a picture of a CH-47 to add here and the website link took me to a page where they list one for sale ... Boeing CH-47D/F Chinook...Price: $25.1 Million--- looks like that Altitude Ceiling (HOGE): package is extra???

anyway when I was in the Marines Helicopters crashed all the time... Hell you don't have to shot em down... just wait long enough and it seems they crash all on their own--- So often in--- fact I got to where I'm really nervous whenever I get in one.

I doubt anything nefarious is involved.

edit on 5-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

The best description of a helicopter I've ever heard is "a million different parts going in different directions, held together by a case".

I doubt it was anything nefarious, and anything more than an accident.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The best description of a helicopter I've ever heard is "a million different parts going in different directions, held together by a case".

I doubt it was anything nefarious, and anything more than an accident.

In the Corps they would say
"If it doesn't burn oil and leak gas---then it must belong to the Navy!"

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

hey zap, aren't they trying to phase out the Chinook due to general metal fatigue throughout the craft, due to so many years in service?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Some of the older ones. They recently started receiving a number of airframes that were completely rebuilt and converted to a new standard. New fuel tanks, avionics, etc. The F and G standards were stripped down to basic frame, and completely rebuilt from the ground up.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My understanding...Such as it is...

that the Marine's at least---Are replacing all the 47's with the new MV-22 Osprey.

An airframe that has been know to crash just by giving it a funny look.

I just read something about how Japanese officials are demanding a review of the MV-22's airworthiness before they let fly over their country.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

The V-22 2.0 as they're calling it has a completely different record than the original design. A huge number of the flaws that led to accidents early in the testing were corrected, and a number of systems were completely redesigned. It operated in Afghanistan for a long time (might still be there) with almost no problems. The last couple of accidents were pilot error, as opposed to mechanical failures that led to early crashes.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No thank ya...
I was quite happy to do all my flying in one of these.

their not known to just fall out of the sky

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The crew chief was killed, and the other three crew members were injured in the crash.

Sgt Dwight Burn was killed. Two of the remaining three crew members are expected to be released from the hospital, while the third will remain for observation with non life threatening injuries.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I hadn't heard of this accident before. My condolences go out the crew especially the family of Sgt, Burns.

Helicopters have always had trouble flying at higher altitudes it's the nature of the beast. The Chinook was better than most as we saw in it's operation in Afghanistan's mountainous areas. My youngest son, who was there in 2010 said the Chinook was their main source transportation the entire year he was there.

Hardcore, You are correct in that the Marines are converting their H 46's for the Osprey. The Phrogs are getting long in the tooth since they weren't remanufactured like the Chinooks were. I have read the Chinooks will be around until 2025.

I like your LAV 25! I have a picture in my office of a Marine KC 130 refueling 2 H 53's each with LAV 25's on a slingload.
edit on 10-5-2014 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join