It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

"Atheists despise God, and the mere mention of His name.

They can hardly stand the words:
"God Bless America"
"Under God"
"In God We Trust"
"God Shed His Grace on Thee"
"God Bless the U.S.A."
"Glory Glory Hallelujah"

In other words, they despise the countless traditions that America was both founded on, and that which most all Americans grew up learning and enjoying"

1) Atheists hate god the same way we hate Voldemort. That is to say, we don't hate them at all, because they don't exist.

2) "Under god" and "In god we trust" were added into the pledge and money, respectively, in the 1950's.

3) I bet you wouldn't be so happy if someone said "Allah bless the US" would you?

4) If you need further proof of your incorrect-ness, please look up "The Treaty of Triploi", in which it is stated by the founders that the US is in no way a Christian nation.

5) Kindly thump your bible elsewhere. I have no need of an invisible sky wizard to tell me where I can or cannot put my dick.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Secret009
a reply to: rickynews

"The poor and sorry Atheists…they just can’t seem to square and force their God-less agenda onto the rest of American society. "

Force our godless agenda onto you? What the f** is wrong with you lady. It was a case concerning a MANDATORY Christian prayer in a government building, and you accuse your opponents of trying to stuff THEIR beliefs down YOUR throat?!

Well what the f*** I guess, after all; Money is speech, corporations are people (and BETTER people than you with limited liabilities), racism isn't real (or it only happens to white people), rape is impossible (because they can shut that whole thing down), blah blah BLAH.

Would you like to contribute to this assault of Orwellian language upon free society, or shall we just skip all that and go to f***ing war with Eurasia?

The U.S. Supreme Court ruling in no way forces anything upon anybody whatsoever - The ruling simply affirms the right of all Americans to pray anytime and any place we choose, including public places. This is America, home of the Free, and the Brave.
edit on 5-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: brandiwine14

"It appears that they are on state pay while they are praying? If that is correct this is wrong and clearly against the Constitution. sure it is great, the Atheists lost "yay" but they are only growing in numbers and if majority rules....well then what? "

Then we revisit all the injustices your perpetrated against us. And apply them to you.

Turnabout is fair play.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: brandiwine14
I am a friend to the Christians but I see the larger implications in this and it is bad for us all. What happens when the majority changes?

Best argument in the thread. Most aren't thinking past their noses.

link   

"The U.S. Supreme Courts ruling in no way forces anything upon anybody whatsoever. it simply affirms the right of all Americans to pray anytime and any place we choose, including public places."

Really?
A mandatory Christian prayer on the floor of the house does NOT infringe on anyone's freedom of religion or force them to have to listen to it? Fascinating.

Mathew 6:5-6
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Whoops! My bad! I'm not supposed to quote scripture to prove that you are asserting religious dominance and not religious freedom. How unAmerican of me.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Secret009 because: (no reason given)

link   

"It appears that they are on state pay while they are praying? If that is correct this is wrong and clearly against the Constitution. sure it is great, the Atheists lost "yay" but they are only growing in numbers and if majority rules....well then what? "

Then we revisit all the injustices your perpetrated against us. And apply them to you.

Turnabout is fair play.

If you think Atheism will turn 237 Million American Christians into God-less slaves, then you are sadly mistaken.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

That's pretty funny coming from a religion that promotes slavery.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You don't need atheism for that. You did it to yourselves already.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Whoops! My bad! I'm not supposed to quote scripture to prove that you are asserting religious dominance and not religious freedom. How unAmerican of me.

LOL Yeah, don't be bringing biblical scripture into a discussion of 21st century religious domination. There's no place for that here! LOL

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think this guy, from the comment page of the Huffington Post on this issue, says it best!

Gary Bonner

OK....First, let me say I am a devout Christian. Now let's drop the legal pretense here. This ruling is finally the VERY loud, even shrill evidence we have that the Supreme Court is a political institution. This business about the "rule of law" is poppycock. Any third grader who reads the Constitution will understand the founders had the wisdom to attempt to frustrate government's ability to wrap itself in the Divine.

They wrote the 1st amendment in no small part because they wanted to avoid having a government that claimed it's legitimacy and authority from God, almighty rather than the people. This self-righteous obsession many of us have with trying to cloak all things American in the garments of Christendom is dangerous to the harmonious exercise of our increasingly diverse democracy. We are a nation of peoples from every stripe. We must take care to avoid alienating our fellows and we must take care to realize that God is NOT American and he doesn't care what we decide to do, or not do at the town council meeting.

This ruling is little more than a reflection political and religious views of five of the politicians who sit on the Supreme Court. It is NOT a reflection of a rational reading of the Constitution. That, my friends is no longer in fashion these days.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

I couldn't have said it better!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yes another win for the invisible man/woman in the sky.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Turnabout is fair play.

What are you talking about? I have not perpertrated any injustices against you. So who is playing fair? This is why the Christians are so up in arms because of hateful people like you who can't see past their own malice to the bigger picture.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It seems to me, the Supreme Court would have had a real hard time ruling any other way on this, unless the local case had some behavior beyond simply giving a prayer. After all, the tradition of opening the United States Congress with a prayer dates back before 1789 and has been an unbroken one, since.

The election of the Rev. William Linn as Chaplain of the House on May 1, 1789, continued the tradition established by the Continental Congresses of each day's proceedings opening with a prayer by a chaplain. The early chaplains alternated duties with their Senate counterparts on a weekly basis. The two conducted Sunday services for the Washington community in the House Chamber every other week.
Chaplains of the House (1789–Present)

It's by no means restricted to Christian, either.

Congress Opens With Muslim Imam’s Prayer (2013)
Muslim Prayer Opens Congress (2010)

Nor is it just within Congress a feeling of Faith has been the norm.

Religious Faiths of U.S. Presidents (3 in our nation's history were unaffiliated. Jefferson, Lincoln and Andrew Johnson)

It strikes me as supporting the general outlines of tradition which have run in our nation to it's founding, at least.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 5-5-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
But just keep in mind that America or The United States of America is NOT a Christian nation. Go back and look at the quotes from the founding fathers. They didn't have a problem invoking God's name or have a problem with Christianity per se, but they did see a big problem with mixing politics and organized religion.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Dear Atheists,

You have your way for 330+/- days out of the year.

Let the others have their days..

Sincerely yours,
everyones religious in a foxhole taking fire.

To clarify -
The US Constitution does not state anything about church and state.

The requirement is the government cannot establish a national religion. For those who are not history buffs The Queen / King of England is in fact head of their church and they have requirements in terms of religion and taking the throne.

The founding fathers did not want that, hence the caveat the government cant establish a state religion. Having time for prayers in school or at meetings, so long as it does not interfere with business or punish those who refuse to participate then there should not be an issue.

When violation of religious doctrine becomes a crime against the state then we have a problem.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I wasn't talking about you specifically, just stating a point.

" This is why the Christians are so up in arms because of hateful people like you who can't see past their own malice to the bigger picture. "

Ok, NOW I'm talking about you.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The court said in a 5-4 decision Monday that the content of the prayers is not critical as long as officials make a good-faith effort at inclusion. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ok ... let us see how the Greece township includes Jews and Atheist, in good faith, in the state sanctioned prayer service!

Note that if they can't be included then there can be no prayer service.

I think this solves itself simply as where ever there are atheists, who must be included and made to feel they are included, will simply state that to be included that they require no prayer service and therefor none should be held in their presence, as that would be offensive to them.

This allows completely religious town councils to still have a prayer if they want to.

The problem for the religious will be keeping atheists entirely out of council chambers and out of office.

Good luck with that! (SARCASM!)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

A prayer on a Sunday twice a month, when the house is not in session, is not the same as a prayer lead every morning on the house floor.

Mathew 6:5-6
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

"Dear Atheists,

You have your way for 330+/- days out of the year.

Let the others have their days.. "

What are you smoking and where can I get some?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

"This allows completely religious town councils to still have a prayer if they want to"

And they called it, Al-Abama.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join