It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It still makes me chuckle to think that politicians/lawmakers of any flavour anywhere actually pray for guidance or whatever before a meeting these days. When did a prayer ever settle a budget deficit or assist in a planning decision? Lol ...kind of cute really, if it wasn't by people who are supposed to be looking for rational ways to govern a society.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Maybe so, but at least they're not atheists.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I said before for sake of argument cause you wouldn't get off of it.
Seems to me that prayer is the starting point, and when the OP calls it the opening prayer, then I am not sure how you can then go and say it is not that.
Do the Olympics start at the opening ceremony or at the the first event

Our laws are not based on religious principles, fair there will be some cross over tho.
But yes any that are based purely on religion or from the bible should be removed.
I don't think murder is one of them

This is not about common sense, this is about religion and there is no common sense involved in religion

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews

Here are some facts to consider:

Christianity is the most popular religion in the United States, with around 73% of polled Americans identifying themselves as Christian in 2012. The United States has the largest Christian population in the world, with nearly 247 million Christians.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

So what? Majority gets to step on the rights of everyone else? Is that the way our republic is supposed to work?

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Saying that I was forced to participate in the prayer is a little like rickynews claiming that people are being restricted in prayer. Neither is true.

I report, We decide.

link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Do you understand what church and state separation is even about?

The powers of the state are separate.

It has nothing to do with being culturally expressive. No where does it say that any religious expression is forbidden. That is something over emotional child adults forced into our collective minds. Last I checked religion still makes up part of that which we see as a peoples culture.

Have some damn cultural sensitivity that everyone is so fond of.

Praying or even having a religious symbol isn't EMPOWERING the legislative process in any direction. You could put up every symbol on earth and the law wouldn't change.

Unless you really think that prayer works and God will influence the decisions of our representitives.

If you have NO FAITH in their ability to see the symbolism behind lady justices blind fold then vote accordingly.

Trying to remove your nations culture just because you feel threatened by it is retarded.

Sorry, no hair on my tongue.

Oooooh a prayer.....next they will make Jesus commander and chief ......ooooh.

edit on 5 5 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: mOjOm

You can practice what ever the hell you want. How are you and those like you NOT able to?

Just because you haven't converted or un-converted the vast majority? That's you being slighted? Because.most people agree on something you don't?

Lol

I"M NOT TRYING TO CONVERT OR UN-CONVERT ANYONE!!! You Are. Let's look what YOU WROTE:

To everyone bothered by this....you can either live with Christians in a christian nation....OR not. Change is not an option when only YOU want it. You change.

That's right, you wrote that, not me. YOU are telling others to convert, not me. YOU said "You Change", not me. If you don't even know or understand what YOU are saying just one page back, then it's you who needs help here, not me.

BTW, That wasn't even a very good attempt on your part in switching things around either. At least get some distance between your statements when they are that much in conflict with each other, at least there is a chance nobody will notice such an obvious Fail.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

True. Hypocrites, liars and crooks get elected.

and you answer

Maybe so, but at least they're not atheists.

First off... wow. just wow. And you had the nerve to call them extreme
And if they are liars and crooks, what is stopping them from being atheist and lying about their religion to get elected?
I agree that appealing to the chirstain vote is much smarter then appealing to the atheist vote.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Here are some facts to consider:

Christianity is the most popular religion in the United States, with around 73% of polled Americans identifying themselves as Christian in 2012. The United States has the largest Christian population in the world, with nearly 247 million Christians.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

So what? Majority gets to step on the rights of everyone else? Is that the way our republic is supposed to work?

The minority dictating to the majority works worse in America, of this you may be certain.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I report, We decide.

Associating yourself with the FOX News slogan is really no way to gain credibility.

No one is being forced to pray and no one is being restricted from praying. It's just an excuse to control other people, which is commonplace among today's so-called Christians.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You have the "COEXIST" IMAGE Tag, yet nobody is even asking you to pick one religious symbol, or the other.

link   
a reply to: mOjOm

If you are really telling me that went over your head and you REALLY think I or those like me NEED or even asked to have you change...then LOL on you.

You are trying to argue against a cultural expression of a people in their legal system....

Either you accept them or not...clear enough?

Edit to add:

Waaa waaa waaa.

You said,....um....sniffle....you...um....

link   

The minority dictating to the majority works worse in America, of this you may be certain.

NEITHER should dictate. EVERYONE'S rights should be respected and protected. One doesn't have to "win". We CAN all live together.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

WHAT??? What are you talking about? I believe in religious FREEDOM. Really. I'm not just paying lip service to it to make others behave according to MY beliefs. Like some people...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Trying to remove your nations culture just because you feel threatened by it is retarded.

Again... christianity is not our nations culture...
What are you not getting about that??
We are a nation founded on immigrants from all parts of the world, how would christianity be our culture?
It is rather new, 50's era that god go so intertwined in our every day lives and chants

And separation of church and state is rather simple, the state can not endorse any particular religion in any way. Having an opening prayer for a certain denomination, majority, culturally, what ever word you want to use violates that IMO

Lady justice believes in no god, she is blind.
I understand the symbolism

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I report, We decide.

Associating yourself with the FOX News slogan is really no way to gain credibility.

No one is being forced to pray and no one is being restricted from praying. It's just an excuse to control other people, which is commonplace among today's so-called Christians.

I have no problem that my slogan is aligned with Fox News, the Number #1 Rated Cable News Channel preferred by Most Americans, with more viewers than all other cable news channels combined. Deja Vu...Haven't we had this conversation before?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I'm not arguing over the cultural expression by anyone.

Plain and simple terms, what I'm saying:

Practice or Don't Practice YOUR RELIGION OF CHOICE however YOU want. But keep YOUR RELIGION out of OUR Government, Courts and Laws. You see that very important word OUR vs. YOUR.

This is a Nation of PEOPLE. People who don't always have the same Religious Views. Therefor as far as OUR Government is concerned it shouldn't be controlled by YOUR RELIGION or MY RELIGION or HIS NON RELIGION. It belongs to us all and SHOULD NOT RESPECT ANY RELIGION OVER ANOTHER.

Pray or handle snakes or whatever on your own time, not the Nations Collective Time. Understand???

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Separation of Church and State in the U.S. Constitution Only prevents the Government from otherwise restricting the Free Exercise of Religion. Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it say anything about the Government endorsing or not endorsing a particular religion. Read it.

edit on 5-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Waaa waaa waaa.

You said,....um....sniffle....you...um....

Oh, you're a troll. Well sh!t, if I had known that I wouldn't have bothered even talking to you in the first place. I thought you were actually here as a free thinking adult who wanted to have a conversation.

You guys should really wear bells or a sign or something so the rest of humanity doesn't get confused between real people and online douche bags who are only around to start trouble, like yourself.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Yet, it is.

Most people here are christian. Just like a language, food, education and history make up a culture...it's religious beliefs also compose what a culture is.

There can be anything in any number....but traditionally and still today...we are mostly christian, speak a certain language, have a certain ideology as far as justice and law, and think in a similar manner.

Hence....we are a people. Not a PEOPLES.

varried and beautifully diverse, but with a common core.

Again, accept our culture or not.

We are not going to change the vast majority just so a minority are accommodated to their liking.

Yet another cultural trait.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join