It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You can practice what ever the hell you want. How are you and those like you NOT able to?

Just because you haven't converted or un-converted the vast majority? That's you being slighted? Because.most people agree on something you don't?

Lol
edit on 5 5 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I guess we will just agree to disagree on your answer then.

Did you want to take a go at the bolded question?
Had a brain fart apparently so I will re word it

why can't the chritisan just deal with the fact there shouldn't be an organized prayer before the function?

ETA:

Opening prayers at council meetings constitutional - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Where are you getting that this prayer is taking place before thee function begins....
What does opening prayers mean to you?
edit on thMon, 05 May 2014 14:55:46 -0500America/Chicago520144680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

lol BEFORE the function...

Because it's not part of the state. It's BEFORE the function. Why is it bothering you? And yes.. Again... Wow.... I said this already!!!

But I do agree to not agree with you. So there. You don't have to waste anymore of your time asking me stuff I've already answered.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickynews
Give your money away to a con man if you want. As an atheist, I spend my money on myself, not on con men. Atheism wins again. Christianity? More like charlatan-anity.

edit on 5-5-2014 by mattsawaufo because: add

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Ill answer that.

Its not a fact. Its your opinion.

If most want it, logic says it SHOULD be.

Unless you like small groups imposing on the vast majority.....

The people are being represented. You should celebrate that. Tomorrow if the majority aren't christian, then you can have your day. Not today though.

that is a fact.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Opening prayers at council meetings constitutional

They OPEN with the prayer, which means the BEGIN WITH THE PRAYER
where are you getting it is happening before?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: mattsawaufo

I don't spend a dime on my faith....

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

The United States isn't a Christian nation. There is no mention of Jesus Christ in the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence. There's no reference to Jesus Christ on our money, in our national anthems or our Pledge of Allegiance. There are no statues of Jesus at our capitols or in our courts. We are not a Christian country.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

No, we have separation of church and state for a reason, the nation should not have an endorsed religion. Majority or not....
You do know why the founding fathers came over to the States right?
It wasn't just to come kill a bunch of indians and steal their land
They were escaping religious, and other, prosecution.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Ill answer that.

Its not a fact. Its your opinion.

If most want it, logic says it SHOULD be.

Unless you like small groups imposing on the vast majority.....

The people are being represented. You should celebrate that. Tomorrow if the majority aren't christian, then you can have your day. Not today though.

that is a fact.

Let's also not forget the reality that there are very few (actually none that I can think of anyway) Politicians or Government officials - whether Local, State or Federal - that are openly "atheists". Why? Because they know they would never get elected.
edit on 5-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

lol ok fine... Then lets say a prayer and a non prayer alike. Oh wait... a non prayer would be silence!!!

Do you guys REALLY think that someone saying a prayer before a state run function begins, that it'll actually hurt you in some way? I mean really, where is the actual problem? Where is the thing that litterally does something to you one way or the other? You guys act like your skin is going to fall off or something.

In this case no it doesn't directly do anything to anyone per se. Which I agree with you to some degree in that it's pretty harmless on the surface. However, the principle behind keeping them separate shouldn't be lost for why we separate the two. Look at the middle east countries where Sharia Law is followed. They follow Laws based upon Religious Ideals which are sometimes totally crazy and unjust to our standards. Equally they look at our system of Laws as being flawed. There is a big difference however without even choosing which side is correct or not. That difference is that at least with our system we can change things based upon our own reasoning and judgement. Religious Laws have no way of changing or being evaluated within the system itself. Whatever is declared as Divine Law just is, like it or not, even if it's totally insane. That is why we don't Rule by Religion Here.

Just because modern day Christian Law is fairly relaxed isn't the point. The point is that it isn't always so harmless and when it's not, it's pretty bad. I mean do you really think we should legally mandate "Sunday Service" or "No Blasphemy" too???

According to Religious Law women are always under the rule of their husbands and what they say. Does this sound like something we should also mandate by Government??? Remember, this isn't about personal choice. Your wife may choose to always be under the husbands authority and control for themselves.

But we don't need Governments being run under the Laws of "Gods" anymore than we need them run under the control of "Devils" or "Djinni's" or "Trans-dimentional Aliens". They need to be under the control of People so that "We the People" have control of our Governments!!!
edit on 5-5-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
What this ruling means is that you are forced to participate in a religious ceremony, even though it's a PUBLIC meeting that has nothing to do with religion.

I absolutely see your point and I agree that this is a bad ruling, but I've pretty much given up on this country being the secular nation it was meant to be.

Now, I wouldn't "participate" in a religious ceremony, because I would not be praying, bowing my head or keeping silent in deference to those who were praying. Saying that I was forced to participate in the prayer is a little like rickynews claiming that people are being restricted in prayer. Neither is true.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

So you are saying elected officials lie about their religion???
ORLY!?!

www.michaelnugent.com...
Hey look I found some

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Where are you getting that this prayer is taking place before thee function begins....
What does opening prayers mean to you?

I'll give you this at least...

They always take place before a function. Ever been to a council meeting? You even said yourself "Before".. Watch one on youtube. They don't just get on with it..> They say their prayer, right after they say "Before we bring this meeting.. bla bla bla"... It's been this way in every single one I've ever been to and I've had more than my share.

Openening prayers mean to me... Again, said this already but I'll do this ONE LAST TIME for you.
It's simply for guidance so that the right choices are made (even though they still make make stupid choices). It's based on morals. If they make a rule to stone people to death for adultry, then I can see that being a problem with CvsS. wink wink... because I knew this is where you were going with this... But they're not. They're asking for wisdom and guidance to make the right choices.

One of God's commandments said "Thou Shalt Not Kill".

It's also in our state and federal laws. Should we scratch it because it's in the bible?

It's common sense. That's what these guys are praying for. Let's say they make a law of no killing before the function. Do you honestly think they will only have made it because the bible says they shouldn't do it?

Cmon now.... Common Sense and Reasoning... That's what you should be focusing on. It'll work itself out.. Promise!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Here are some facts to consider:

Christianity is the most popular religion in the United States, with around 73% of polled Americans identifying themselves as Christian in 2012. The United States has the largest Christian population in the world, with nearly 247 million Christians.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 5-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ya lost me at "The poor and sorry Atheists"

Hey im an Athiest,not poor or sorry.

And here's a newsflash for you,I don't care where what and how others worship anything, period.

Pray to purple smurfs and print money with their smiling faces on them, I could care less.

It has zero effect on my life.

I pay it no mind, cause I don't care.

Let people believe and not believe as they wish, and life goes on.

~Cheers~

edit on 5-5-2014 by Black_Fox because: SpELLiNg

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So you are saying elected officials lie about their religion???
ORLY!?!

www.michaelnugent.com...
Hey look I found some

Not at all. I'm saying that Atheists don't get elected.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews
Atheists despise God, and the mere mention of His name.

LOL How can we despise something we don't even believe exists?

And this suit was brought by a JEWISH woman and an atheist woman. This isn't an "atheist agenda" deal.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Not at all. I'm saying that Atheists don't get elected.

True. Hypocrites, liars and crooks get elected.

edit on 5-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join