It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: StallionDuck

And when your religious prayer is sacreligious to mine and vice versa what then? If I lead a prayer on the Senate floor asking Satan for his blessing and guidance what then? Or what about all the superpac videos forthcoming of so and so doesn't bow their head when praying, yadda yadda? This is #ing ridiculous.

Then you deal with it. You cant only have it your way. You have to be fair to all.

Id mind your language here. Obvioulsy this is a major issue for you. I don't see the problem. I'm a Christian and I'm not loosing sleep over it or using such strong language to show my distaste that 4 judges voted against this proving that this could have easily gone the other way. It's was very close. If it had.. I would have been saddened but nothing to cuss about.
edit on 5-5-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

If they are state workers and in a state building using state resources then I don't need a start and finish point.
Again, go to church if you need to pray out loud in a mass prayer.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Lol just deal with it??
That seems to be the answer from everyone pro this decision.

WE WON YOU LOST!!!! DEAL WITH IT!!
OUR RELIGION RULES!!!!!
CHRIST RULES, ATHEISTS DROOL!!

That does not answer the question as to how you would feel about if it was a satanic prayer btw.
just deal with it is not an answer

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What's unfair about silently saying a prayer to yourself? How is it oppressive or violating the 1st? Anyone can do this anywhere and anytime they choose. Why does any God need the endorsement of any government? Why does any government need any God's blessing? The two should not ever cross.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Really? We're in a country where the state and gov put roads in front of our houses, that we drive on, that we use to go to church... Should we ban that too?

Our taxes pay for every bit of that... so wouldn't that stuff belong to us and not the state?

Hmmmm Me thinks so...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Yes... Now you're taking my response to your question and applying it generally to whatever you want and that's pretty stupid.

I was asked:

And when your religious prayer is sacreligious to mine and vice versa what then?

I answered:

Just deal with it. if I have to deal with it as a christian, then you have to deal with it as a satanist.

Don't use my words for stupidy. They apply only where they were I replied to the question.

And you ARE mistaken. First, YOU didn't ask me the question, someone else did, and I replied... I already answered the question about how I would feel if it were a satanist prayer. You really should read closer. I don't mind pointing you to it... IF you really want me to. Hint: You don't have to read all that far back.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with it being done before the start of a process. How does this make any difference?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

Well thank you supreme court....at least you realize that your country that you represent is a Christian one and these traditions are part of that heritage.

To everyone bothered by this....you can either live with Christians in a christian nation....OR not. Change is not an option when only YOU want it.

You change.

Good day. Little nudges huh....

edit on 5 5 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It makes every difference, especially if only one religion is going to be represented.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Really? We're in a country where the state and gov put roads in front of our houses, that we drive on, that we use to go to church... Should we ban that too?

Our taxes pay for every bit of that... so wouldn't that stuff belong to us and not the state?

Hmmmm Me thinks so...

But those roads go to all churches and non-churches alike. Once again, Governments neither build roads Only to Churches or Non Churches. Governments are restricted by law from saying "We only build roads to Christian Churches" or "Buddhist Temples" or "Native American Sweat Lodges" or "Anywhere that Is Not a Religious Place" equally.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Except that we never lived in a Christian nation. We have separation of Church and state now and take a good hard look at the founding fathers particularly George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin. Those three would have been horrified to have someone call this a Christian nation. I'm not a Christian and I don't particularly like the idea of having Christian old testament beliefs force fed to me.

Leave the country, please if you want to live in a Christian nation. This is my country too.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

The untied states is not a christian nation...
Again that would go against the Constitution....

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I'm sure if one of those guys were a real satanist, he would be more than able to say whatever prayer he wanted. Until a satanist or muslim stands up and says they want to do the same, I don't see the problem. I suspsect it's up to the host of the prayer, and I don't mean people that have nothing to do with the function but just standing in the back and watching.

Just like any other part of politics, I guess majority rules.

But hey... I woudln't live in a country run by satanists. I'll have the option of moving out if that happens, and I'll take it. I wont tell them that they, the majority, can't have it their way.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. I simply don't see the problem.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Hmmmm Me thinks so...

But those roads go to all churches and non-churches alike. Once again, Governments neither build roads Only to Churches or Non Churches. Governments are restricted by law from saying "We only build roads to Christian Churches" or "Buddhist Temples" or "Native American Sweat Lodges" or "Anywhere that Is Not a Religious Place" equally.

lol ok fine... Then lets say a prayer and a non prayer alike. Oh wait... a non prayer would be silence!!!

Do you guys REALLY think that someone saying a prayer before a state run function begins, that it'll actually hurt you in some way? I mean really, where is the actual problem? Where is the thing that litterally does something to you one way or the other? You guys act like your skin is going to fall off or something.

link   

Then you deal with it. You cant only have it your way. You have to be fair to all.

Yes I read what you had to say, and I think that answer is a cop out.

No one should have to " just deal with it" that is not having religious freedom...
Hence the point of it supposed to be separate form state function.
Why can't the Christians just deal with it and there will be no opening prayer?
edit on thMon, 05 May 2014 14:49:44 -0500America/Chicago520144480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: amazing

Yet the powers of state ARE separate.

That said if the population wants to keep its cultural heritage it will. Deal with it.

And if you don't like that then YOU leave or find your peace.

Did you even read the particulars? The prayer is directed to law makers. As long as they make a good faith inclusion they are OK as far as the constitution....its just conveying a common belief in over 95% of the worlds population of acknowledgement of a higher power.

Christian or not.

It is a christian nation as well, since the VAST MAJORITY are christian. Also a reason why its all done in a COMMON language that the VAST majority share and not in every other language SOME may speak.

Deal with it like an adult. You are quite literally surrounded. Not changing us today sir.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Its the principle of the matter
and the way the OP came off so smug

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: rickynews

Well thank you supreme court....at least you realize that your country that you represent is a Christian one and these traditions are part of that heritage.

To everyone bothered by this....you can either live with Christians in a christian nation....OR not. Change is not an option when only YOU want it.

You change.

Good day. Little nudges huh....

That's just it. Saying a "Christian Nation" isn't a Nation where you have Free Religious Practice now is it??? Religious Freedom and Practice thereof isn't Freedom if Christianity is Established as the Only Religion!!

This isn't rocket science. How is it that Freedom, in your opinion, means having only one choice??? That is anything but Freedom.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Yes I read what you had to say, and I think that answer is a cop out.

No one should have to " just deal with it" that is not having religious freedom...
Hence the point of it supposed to be separate form state function.
Why can't the Christians just deal with it there will be no opening prayer?

No... You didn't. If you did, you would understand what I said and how it applied. It's not a cop out. it's a serious answer.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

You have religious freedom. And state powers are separate.

You are making a mountain out of an ant hill. Yes, deal with it.
Most people here are christian. Again.......cope or leave.

The hell did you expect?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join