It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: gusdynamite
a reply to: Daedalus

Logic isn't here today, priest.

hey, spin your head around!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
lol!!!

me thinks she doth protest too much!!

30 pgs? lol.

that's gotta be an ouchie to the the godless whatever.

hey, go to mecca. tell them what to do!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
At the time supreme court made this decision, I was thinking to open topic about it, but decide against it. It is somewhat worrisome that justices have let their personal belief cloud over constitution, which they supposed to interpret, but as this opens all new doors for urban areas with majority Muslim population to have the same opening with their pryers, I am in to see how this law will stand first time some meeting has to wait for prayers...

As for spinning head... lol... that happens only in movies... and only in those that are under high influence of Christianity...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

If American-muslims wish to open a town council meeting with a prayer, then they are fee to do so. Same with those of the Jewish faith, and the Christian faith. Again, this is not a "Christian " ruling. It is a Freedom of Religion ruling for All Americans.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: rickynews
I started a new thread for your commie/atheist assertions as I didn't want to go off-topic here, please come join the fun and share your curious views. You were pretty much implying that atheist=communist earlier, let's see how your claims stack up when we are able to focus on them in detail.

The "One who does not believe in gods = Communist" conspiracy?

Thank you for the invite. I'll join in the fun.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Satanists? what If their are many faiths do they do it at the same time?.
What If some new agers want to kill a goat or something still fine with you?.
(BTW not saying new agers kill goats just an example).
edit on 12-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I don't understand why so much time is wasted arguing over religious issues.

We all have the right to practice whatever religion we choose or practice none without repercussions or consequences by government or any other entity.

I think the fact these arguments even happen is proof that the law of the land is not being followed.

Practice any religion you want, or practice no religion, don't expect me to follow along or chastise anyone because they are supposedly " godless atheists".

It would be really nice if more people minded their own business regarding personal things like religion and brand loyalty and so on, give your money to anyone you want, you're entitled to do anything you want even if it makes you look like a raging fool as long as you do not harm anyone else by your actions.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

Why do people need to believe there is something greater than themselves?, it's all really quite meaningless and all the WooHoo Boogeyman spiritual jibberish only serves to expose how afraid everyone truly is.

Why do we keep acting like paper thin skinned cavemen?.

Take the red pill, free your mind, religion is control.

edit on 12-5-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews

If American-muslims wish to open a town council meeting with a prayer, then they are fee to do so. Same with those of the Jewish faith, and the Christian faith. Again, this is not a "Christian " ruling. It is a Freedom of Religion ruling for All Americans.

Are the prayers being presented offered up to the christian god? If so it would make it a "christian" ruling. I am unaware of any state, county or federal opening prayers that are anything but christian in basis.

The only way this ruling can stand as being lawful is if they accept without argument me offering a prayer to another deity of my choosing. Do you, in all sincerity, think that people will be ok with that?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

The reality is that although both myself and the overwhelming majority of Americans would find it repugnant, if they are an American, then they have the right to pray in public - whoever they pray to. Same with burning an American flag. As much as both I and the majority of Americans find such conduct to be reprehensible, it remains a right under Freedom of Speech for all Americans.

IMO, as for satanists, I would't expect such anytime soon... They know better ... in that although they may have a "legal right", the popular pushback would be so great that they would not even get off the ground. Why? Because the majority of Americans are those of Christian and Jewish faith - and although minority religions do indeed have the same rights as the majority religions, the majority's will is going to be the prevailing sentiment. I realize that may not be what some prefer, but in these United States of America, it is the reality, indeed. In other words, back to the burring of the American Flag example - even though Americans have the right to burn an American Flag in the public square, it is rarely ever done - why? Mainly because of the immense pushback by patriotic Americans who find it to be grossly offensive. Same is and would be the case with satanists attempting rituals at town council meetings or in the public square.

edit on 12-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: drivers1492

Are the prayers being presented offered up to the christian god? If so it would make it a "christian" ruling. I am unaware of any state, county or federal opening prayers that are anything but christian in basis.

The only way this ruling can stand as being lawful is if they accept without argument me offering a prayer to another deity of my choosing. Do you, in all sincerity, think that people will be ok with that?

The bottom line is that 73% of Americans are Christian, and if the majority of people in a given voting district are Christian and have no objection to their elected town council officials offering a Christian prayer during a town council meeting, then the minority is not in a position to do much about it. There is power in numbers after all.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

The reality is that although both myself and the overwhelming majority of Americans would find it repugnant, if they are an American, then they have the right to pray in public - whoever they pray to. Same with burning an American flag. As much as both I and the majority of Americans find such conduct to be reprehensible, it remains a right under Freedom of Speech for all Americans.

IMO, as for satanists, I would't expect such anytime soon... They know better ... in that although they may have a "legal right", the popular pushback would be so great that they would not even get off the ground. Why? Because the majority of Americans are those of Christian and Jewish faith - and although minority religions do indeed have the same rights as the majority religions, the majority's will is going to be the prevailing sentiment. I realize that may not be what some prefer, but in these United States of America, it is the reality, indeed. In other words, back to the burring of the American Flag example - even though Americans have the right to burn an American Flag in the public square, it is rarely ever done - why? Mainly because of the immense pushback by patriotic Americans who find it to be grossly offensive. Same is and would be the case with satanists attempting rituals at town council meetings or in the public square.

WOW did you just say in the same post that Christians praying in public is ok because it is the majority belief, but it's not ok for Satanists to do because they are a minority belief? THIS is what freedom of religious expression IS! Not being able to pray at a state function, but the ability to practice your religion freely no matter WHAT it is or WHAT the public thinks about it. You are a shining example of why that amendment was written into the Bill of Rights. You obviously also don't understand it correctly.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I wonder how well it be accepted. Granted, it's from 2007.
Protesters disrupt historic reading of Senate prayer by Hindu
Friday 13 July 2007

The sight of a Hindu clergyman saying the US senate's traditional morning prayer was too much for members of a Christian group, who yesterday tried to shout him down before being arrested. As Rajan Zed, director of interfaith relations at a Hindu temple, offered the prayer, two women and a man began shouting "this is an abomination" from the gallery.

The trio continued to yell at the Hindu cleric as they were taken away in handcuffs by police, yelling, "no Lord but Jesus Christ!" and "there's only one true God!". The male protester told the Associated Press, "we are Christians and patriots".

For several days, some Christian religious groups had urged their members to object to the prayer because Mr Zed would be "seeking the invocation of a non-monotheistic god".

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The bottom line is that 73% of Americans are Christian, and if the majority of people in a given voting district are Christian and have no objection to their elected town council officials offering a Christian prayer during a town council meeting, then the minority is not in a position to do much about it. There is power in numbers after all.

This is also wrong, majority belief doesn't mean that they can impose their religious will on the minority. Freedom of Religious expression means every religion is represented equally. The idea isn't to make a small sect feel like outsiders, but to be inclusive to all. If this is impossible, then you prohibit all religious conduct, in other words, separation of church and state.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

So, equal protection under the law is just a fun concept ... as long as one is in the majority anything goes?

Is that what we're hearing you say, ricky?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pauligirl

I wonder how well it be accepted. Granted, it's from 2007.
Protesters disrupt historic reading of Senate prayer by Hindu
Friday 13 July 2007

The sight of a Hindu clergyman saying the US senate's traditional morning prayer was too much for members of a Christian group, who yesterday tried to shout him down before being arrested. As Rajan Zed, director of interfaith relations at a Hindu temple, offered the prayer, two women and a man began shouting "this is an abomination" from the gallery.

The trio continued to yell at the Hindu cleric as they were taken away in handcuffs by police, yelling, "no Lord but Jesus Christ!" and "there's only one true God!". The male protester told the Associated Press, "we are Christians and patriots".

For several days, some Christian religious groups had urged their members to object to the prayer because Mr Zed would be "seeking the invocation of a non-monotheistic god".

No surprise there, as one would expect it to not go over well. Why? Because although they may indeed have a legal right, there is also push-back from the majority. So, the question comes down to, is it worth the push-back to exercise your Freedom of Speech or Freedom to Religion practices in public? That choice is up to the ones who want exercise their legal rights.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Someone needs to break it to him that with this law, if Satanist desires to pray to Satan at hearing - he will have to STF and wait, unless he likes to join prayer...

As someone who loves science fiction - I would love to hear - 'So say we all' in meeting like that...
(Would prefer someone like Adama say it
)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

That's a none-too-subtle threat there ricky ... be careful what you ask for.

Christians aren't always a "real" majority, often, it's only on paper.

Gloating is rarely attractive nor sustainable.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So, equal protection under the law is just a fun concept ... as long as one is in the majority anything goes?

Is that what we're hearing you say, ricky?

No, not at all. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion are enshrined in the U.S. Constitution, and endowed upon us by Our Creator. Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about any American's rights and ability to do so...However, that does not mean there isn't popular push-back from the majority, which may certainly render its voice. After all, this is America.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I do understand what your saying with the majority and there is truth to it I agree with that as well. But, if the ruling supports only one religion, according to this countries laws it is in error is that not correct?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

that's a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

i think we've both publicly agreed that the United States is NOT a democracy, but a constitutional republic...or at least we both agree(i think) that it's SUPPOSED to be...

and i think in other topics, we've agreed that mob rule is not a good thing....

but you seem to believe it's ok when your "club" does it....are your views, and ethical/moral foundations really so mailable?

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join