It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Religion does form part of what we determine and define as culture.

That is just basic to any education you may have received.

Even a complete retard wouldnt say otherwise.

EDIT TO ADD:
So I guess this is where you look introspectively at your beliefs and think for a hot second if you are really all that sure of what you are saying.....Because You care to learn and progress beyond your present state.

LOL.

Or you go back to vitriol and bile.
edit on 5 9 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

oh, ffs...

CULTURE

cul·ture [kuhl-cher]

noun

1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.

3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.

4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training.

5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.

do you see religion ANYWHERE in there?

religion is not culture.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

No. Wrong answer.

America is NOT a white nation, even if a majority of people are white. Congress is NOT a male institution, even though most of it's constituents are male. America is NOT a Christian country, even though most people identify with Christian culture.

America is a melting pot.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Tell that to an Anthropologist.

Here is a break down of anthropology.

www.mesacc.edu...

Also, your own definition can be applied to religion.

1. A societies moral code or its STANDARDS.
2. The very guidelines for moral excellence.
3. Like perhaps when the human race went from worshipping fertility Goddesses to a patriarchal structure.
4. Like religious study which taught literacy and mathematics to name TWO.
5.The beliefs of a group....this one should have stood out for you....

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

LOL

No you are right,

females compose most of congress......Hispanics make up 100% of the population, and I am a tea pot...diddly dee.

So you really dont understand context.....OK.

Sorry. Nevermind.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
Based on RELIGION?

and

so the system works.

Glad to see you noticed that. Nows the time to stop bitching.

No. Elections have been overturned because the basis of the elections were based on unconstitutional Christian belief systems. For example, California's Proposition 8, that was a highly charged religious debate over same sex marriage, that was overturned by the Supreme Court.

The religious right tried to force their Christian morality on the State of California through majority rule.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

yet did they?

no

so church and state are separate.

And of the several examples you could list...how many were overturned for religious reasons?

EDIT TO ADD:

you know what never mind. You and the other gem here can continue to pat each other on the back and star each others posts though you have been essentially shut down in your flawed reasoning.

Carry on with the hate. I will learn to do the same. Lets see who can be a bigger asshole and who has the winning numbers to do so effectively.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

America's morality is NOT based on the Bible or Christianity. The Ten Commandments aren't law. Christian morals are not law.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

yet did they?

no

so church and state are separate.

And of the several examples you could list...how many were overturned for religious reasons?

What are you trying to get me to say?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

SO do you have a problem with any cultural expression within a courthouse or governmental function? Or is it just with religion?

Any system of beliefs that wields "truth" as a weapon. Here's why: If we want to build a better world, we have be be willing to learn. Some belief systems want to have a monopoly on "truth". The implication of "truth" is that there is no reason to ask questions because we already have the answers--there is nothimg more to know.

This is a good way to manipulate minds and to rally loyal followers against an opponent. But it is no way to learn. We must be willing to question our beliefs if we want to create a better world. The reason? We don't have the answers yet. The notion of "truth" is a disease of the mind, that's why I don't want it to have anything to do with government.
edit on 9-5-2014 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Carry on with the hate. I will learn to do the same. Lets see who can be a bigger asshole and who has the winning numbers to do so effectively.

Huh, thought the bible had this turn the other cheek teaching to it....
Must have been left out on the rendition your church uses

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

a reply to: Grimpachi

If you had bothered to understand some of the many things written in the bible you wouldn't be at such a loss.

"Turn the other cheek" doesn't mean what you think it does. When it was being taught it was referring to the illegality of striking someone with the back of the hand. You would be inviting them to break the law after which, they would be screwed. Its a lesson in being more intelligent than your enemies.

Also love thy neighbor doesn't apply to those trying to uproot your house.

But really my sentiment has nothing to do with God. This is my personal war which I take on for the spite, hate, and malfeasance you all deserve. God can forgive me or not, you are going to get the asshole treatment because I am sick of playing nice with heathens. God has nothing to do with it. This is spite and for hates sake.

Excuse me while I get more motivated by you trying to use my faith against me. You don't get the Christian side of me. That is a courtesy I give at my discretion. You get the human.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Tearman

Like anything really.

Atheism has as much propaganda, manipulation, and deception geared towards "its truth".

Enough has been said already.

You people decide if after the way this thread and every conversation AGAINST christianity goes that I have heard if I think you are either confused into it or willingly my enemies because of what I believe. Were you respectful and honest in your words and your assessment towards my culture? I will act accordingly.

So will we all.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You people decide if after the way this thread and every conversation AGAINST christianity goes that I have heard if I think you are either confused or willingly my enemies because of what I believe.

You Christians really do love your martyrdom! Nobody would be arguing against Christianity if "they" weren't trying to bait and pick fights and force their particular beliefs and proclivities down everyone else's throats.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Like anything really.

Atheism has as much propaganda, manipulation, and deception geared towards "its truth".

Enough has been said already.

You people decide if after the way this thread and every conversation AGAINST christianity goes that I have heard if I think you are either confused or willingly my enemies because of what I believe. I will act accordingly.

So will we all.
The only enemy here is an unwillingness to examine our beliefs. Atheists should be as willing to exmaine their beliefs as any religious person. If you see an example of an atheist asserting "truth" without a willingness to question their conclusion, you should draw attention to that problem. But don't forget to give your own beliefs the same treatment.

As far as the religious go, all they have to do is admit that they might be wrong, and show a willingness to re-examine their claim on "the truth". All my problems with them would disappear, as long as it were a genuine effort.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

"Turn the other cheek" doesn't mean what you think it does. When it was being taught it was referring to the illegality of striking someone with the back of the hand. You would be inviting them to break the law after which, they would be screwed. Its a lesson in being more intelligent than your enemies.

Says you! Citation please. LOL. You and you alone are going to change the collective understanding of that adage "Turn the other cheek" in one fell swoop here on ATS, and what?, argument over! ??

HAHA...........NOT!

edit on 9-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Nonviolent resistance interpretation
The scholar Walter Wink, in his book Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination, interprets the passage as ways to subvert the power structures of the time.[2] He says that at the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. An alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was demanding equality.

en.wikipedia.org...

Slap the right cheek

I have to point out some technical points to help us to understand this passage more accurately. Notice what is says. ‘If anybody hits you on the right cheek.’ It is not just any side. The Lord Jesus is talking about the right cheek. Nothing is wasted in the Word of God. Let’s say you have a person in front of you. The only way you can hit him or her on the right cheek is by turning your hand around and hit with a backhand stroke, assuming you are right-handed, which most people are. So in order to hit on the right cheek, you have to hit the person backhanded.

www.meetingwithchrist.com...(38-42).htm

Back-handed is synonymous with left-handed. For example in tennis, a backhand stroke is a strike by a right-handed player from the left side of the body.
The left side of the body has always been deemed sinister. The Latin word for left is sinestra. Hence, back-handed means round-about, indirect, or devious.

www.joe-ks.com...

ever heard of the saying "back handed"?

"HAHA"....? A little childish and your comment is ignorant to say the least.

Shows where you are going with this.

So you are, and your justification for it is that WE do it....ok.

Glad to see your reasoning for treating a whole group of people with contempt is founded on sound reasoning and entirely not personal.

This is not martyrdom. This is people reacting to people in a way they deserve. Youre a prick, then I will be a prick. Case closed. You see if at the end of the day you dont need us and just continue acting like a prick towards people just because of what they believe or what their culture is.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I could say the same.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Oh it is on wiki so it must be true.

I take it as meeting hate with love, seems the is the general consensus of the phrase as well.
And that seems far more in line with the teachings of jesus IMO

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I could say the same.

I could be wrong. god might be real, contrary to what I suspect. I have heard a lot of arguments, and a lot of personal testimonials. So far nothing seems compelling to me. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to believe outside of the sense of security or community it might give me.

If you know a good reason, I am open to considering it.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join