It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: rickynews

Thing is plenty of people find God without religion and the rubbish that goes with it.
I believe in God but I do not want religion in state affairs nor education classes nor would I vote for anyone who asks God what to do.

Atheists have a belief in that there is "No-God" and Religions have a belief that there is indeed a God. Atheists put their faith in themselves and science, and Religions put their faith in God and their doctrines. A belief is a belief, and Atheists adhere to their religious belief system no different than those who believe in God or their faith adhere to theirs.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

No! Atheists reject your hypothetical god.

They have no such belief.

There is no faith involved in atheism.

edit on 9-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

No! Atheists reject your hypothetical god.

They have no such belief.

There is no faith involved in atheism.

Yet, Atheists have beliefs and faith in science, "Knowledge", and themselves, no?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

No. Not all atheist have anything in common.

My Grandfather, for example, was an atheist. Long since passed, he didn't have faith in science, in that he never believed that we went to the moon. He thought "science" was hoaxing us. He thought the governments were hoaxing us. He didn't believe in anything and he trusted no one.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

No you really are not getting it are you.
For an atheist to be religious they would have to be a believer in that religion but they can not because they do not believe in any God.
You could say some have a religious like zeal in their atheism but that is no worse than you bleating and trying to preach to us all.
Frankly you are wrong and any idiot can see that.

Also frankly many religious put faith in science everyday and you are saying you don't? hope you never get sick.
We all put faith into fellow humans and that is the right thing to do.
Sorry but God will not do stuff for us so humanity must do it.
edit on 9-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

No you really are not getting it are you.
For an atheist to be religious they would have to be a believer in that religion but they can not because they do not believe in any God.
You could say some have a religious like zeal in their atheism but that is no worse than you bleating and trying to preach to us all.
Frankly you are wrong and any idiot can see that.

Also frankly many religious put faith in science everyday and you are saying you don't? hope you never get sick.
We all put faith into fellow humans and that is the right thing to do.
Sorry but God will not do stuff for us so humanity must do it.

How does science or humanity account for, and explain, the countless Miracles? How about phenomenons, natural or otherwise? Has science ever been wrong, and corrected itself? Has humanity ever been wrong? What came first, the chicken or the egg? What makes the world go round and round for millions of years? How does "nothing" come from "nothing" Do you have a scientific explanation? How about the Big Bang? If it all started with a golf ball sized piece of matter, then how did the matter get there in the first place? The list is endless, and goes on and on and on and on....Nobody can figure out Almighty God, so it seems to me Atheists simply default to the misguided thinking of "since my limited human intelligence can't figure out that there is a God, He must not exist".
edit on 9-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

What is a miracle?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

What is a miracle?

Definition of Miracle
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
3. a wonder; marvel
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality

source; dictionary.com

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Anyone can go to the dictionary. I want you to explain what miracles you were specifically referring to when you asked this question.

How does science or humanity account for, and explain, the countless Miracles?

What miracles? What's considered an unexplained miracle? What's the difference between a miracle and a mystery?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

The Supreme Court has made it safe for Satanists to sacrifice children at city council meetings. Hooray.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

That was a cute little propaganda piece.

If you can reconcile the (left out) fact that communism is directly a political and economic ideology, and atheism is directly a religious one, your propaganda piece might even hold some water.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do so....

on another note, since your little propaganda piece brought up all the deaths that "atheist leaders" are responsible for, shall we discuss the number that religion-believing leaders have?

Naw, you wouldnt want to talk about that, would ya?

Communists and Nazi's and those who follow similar types of beliefs systems are history's well known propagandists, not the faithful, or the believer's in Almighty God.
So you're telling me that christians DIDN'T wipe out an entire generation of pagans? That christian leaders didnt drop the nuclear bombs in japan? That it wasnt christians who committed a genocide on native americans?

You dont get to pick and choose what parts of history are true....as much as some of you christians would like to.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: veubiah

Again,

Church and state are separate. No one is denying this and to feign concern over this issue is absurd.

None of that changes that the fact that the vast majority of Americans are christian.

So, again. You can either accept that most of your neighbors are christian and that most communities you will live in here are christian, or not.

Culturally speaking we are a christian nation since most of our members are christian. You can say mass and that wont change.

edit on 5 9 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

The majority of Christians don't even know what they believe and fight with other Christians over whose sect is the true sect and which Christians are going to heaven and which Christians are going to hell!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

originally posted by: Secret009
a reply to: Iscool

"Thankfully Jefferson was wrong...

The gov't favors Christianity over other religions because the people in gov't favor Christianity...The Founders seem to have believed in Christianity or at least the Christian God... "

The Treaty of Tripoli- 1797
"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."
-John Adams

How does it feel to be so incredibly wrong?

That treaty was good for only four years and was replaced with article 11 removed...

Interesting Jefferson was concerned about the separation of church and state which doesn't exist in the Constitution....Might want to note that Jefferson was concerned with the church...He wasn't concerned about mosques or muzlims...No Mormons...He didn't mention the Jewish religion...Jefferson mentioned the only religion that uniquely uses the term 'church'...And that is Christianity...Christianity was the religion of the Founders...

Why would he have had anything to say about the Mormon religion? Jefferson fairly much died before it was established.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

I'm curious on something, as you run from the Atomic bomb in WW-II through to the plains wars and Native American issues (still going on today, for that matter).

Are you making any distinction between what was done in the name of or because of Christianity as a Faith vs. those who happened to identify as Christian while doing all sorts of things in their lives outside of that?

I've never heard 'Christian Leaders' and how WW-II ended mentioned in the same sentence with apparent connection to matter?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: V22tech

Typical ignorant bigotry from a "christian." One of these days you fools will need to realize you cannot and will not dictate your close minded belief systems to us. We are gaining in numbers, and soon, you will be a minority.

The word 'we' implies a group with a common interest - atheism by its definition means you have a common dis-interest. You do realise why that sounds somewhat cultish - the use of the word 'we' as though Atheism is like a club............. don't you?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

a reply to: tadaman

The majority of Christians don't even know what they believe and fight with other Christians over whose sect is the true sect and which Christians are going to heaven and which Christians are going to hell!

Preach it!
And it all stems from people that didn't like some of the rules of the previous division of christianity and decided to branch off and make a new church

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews

originally posted by: xDeadcowx

Would you support this as much as you do if it was only Muslim prayers before the meetings?

In the United States, it is fair to assume that the other faiths aren't likely to pray in town council meetings, simply because the United States is comprised of 73% Christians (Approx. 247 Million Americans), and the other 27% is a mix of Non-Christian faiths. As such, the population, due to the shear numbers, isn't likely to elect Muslims and Buddists, although the public may elect those of the Jewish faith in certain districts and areas of the country. So, as a result, it is not a likely hypothetical scenario. Regardless, let's say in a heavily Jewish populated district for example..., if the Mayor or Town Council officials wanted to offer a Jewish prayer prior to a meeting, I would have no problem with them doing so whatsoever. It is their solemn right, and they are free to do so.

I'm not sure how old you are, but that is a ridiculous post unless the good people of America choose their elected council officials based on their faith rather than - oh, let's have a stupid idea! - how well they can do their job. If you read your own OP it makes clear that at the council involved, other faiths have been invited, and have accepted, the role of leading the prayer based on their own faith.

You've kind of contradicted what you originally posted, strange.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
a reply to: captaintyinknots

I'm curious on something, as you run from the Atomic bomb in WW-II through to the plains wars and Native American issues (still going on today, for that matter).

Are you making any distinction between what was done in the name of or because of Christianity as a Faith vs. those who happened to identify as Christian while doing all sorts of things in their lives outside of that?

I've never heard 'Christian Leaders' and how WW-II ended mentioned in the same sentence with apparent connection to matter?
I was responding to a specific video posted by the person I responded to which pointed out a handful of historical leaders, who were atheists, and claimed that they make atheists responsible for 100's of millions of deaths. Basically saying that since these few people were atheists, even though the acts had nothing to do with atheism, that atheism was evil and all atheists are responsible.

My ONLY point in what I pointed out is that if we follow that same logic, one could easily pick out FAR more christian leaders and groups in the past that have committed heinous acts and killed gross numbers of people. By that same logic, christians are FAR worse than atheists.

Im not saying this is what I believe. To the contrary, i think this type of 'logic' shows just what is wrong with so many religious people today.

I am simply showing this person the very large flaw in their 'logic'.
edit on 9-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I have! Growing up in the '50s there was very much a collective mentality of American Christian superiority over pagan nation, like Japan, and evil rulers like Hitler. The propaganda, of the day, was that America was righteously granted the atomic bomb and it's use against ungodly nations as proof that God Blesses and Loves America better and above all other countries world wide.

The same propaganda was preached in Britian:

In 1940, shortly after he was named prime minister, Winston Churchill spelled out, in two often quoted speeches, his reasons for continuing Britain's war against Germany. In his famous "Blood, Sweat and Tears" speech, the great British wartime leader said that unless Germany was defeated, there would be "no survival for the British empire, no survival for all that the British empire has stood for..." A few weeks later, in his "Finest Hour" address, Churchill said:

"Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire."

Americans like to believe that "good guys" win, and "bad guys" lose, and, in international affairs, that "good" countries win wars, and "bad" countries lose them. In keeping with this view, Americans are encouraged to believe that the US role in defeating Germany and Japan demonstrated the righteousness of the "American Way," and the superiority of our country's form of government and society.
www.ihr.org...

edit on 9-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join